Maglite mag-tac rechargeable issues?

Hollywood5926

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any issues with the tail cap on the mag-tac rechargeable?
It uses a special lifepo4 battery with a very dismal 1.4mah . Does anyone know if you can use an 1860 with longer life instead ? Any help or input is appreciated!
Shine on flashaholics!👊🏻

maglite mike

Enlightened
Anyone have any issues with the tail cap on the mag-tac rechargeable?
It uses a special lifepo4 battery with a very dismal 1.4mah . Does anyone know if you can use an 1860 with longer life instead ? Any help or input is appreciated!
Shine on flashaholics!👊🏻

maglite mike

Enlightened
What's the run time you get on a single charge? I believe there was a bad batch of batteries that were causing issues.

Hollywood5926

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes with periodic of and on use through the day it could last me 1 day of use which would equal to less than 1-1/2 hrs on the lower setting

Hollywood5926

Newly Enlightened
Update: contacted maglite customer service and after a brief discussion it appears they believe it to be a bad cell in the measly 1.4mah lifepo4 battery they use in a "tactical " application light! . When I asked the gentleman why such a small size battery for a tactical light he just said he wasn't sure but agreed it wasn't a proper size batter for a light with its intended purpose. They are going to send me a new battery when the come back in stock !

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one in 2015. Had a tailcap issue, and was swapped by Maglite. Has been fine, since. Unfortunately, the light has been discontinued, and the batteries are now impossible to find. And, since the battery is so specific and unique that fabricating a replacement would be very tough. Once the stock battery is exhausted, the light will be useless.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I picked up one in 2015. Had a tailcap issue, and was swapped by Maglite. Has been fine, since. Unfortunately, the light has been discontinued, and the batteries are now impossible to find. And, since the battery is so specific and unique that fabricating a replacement would be very tough. Once the stock battery is exhausted, the light will be useless.
Hey Dano, They stopped making the mac tac rechargeable , since when ? They still sell the lights and batteries on maglite.com and almost every other site. Do you have a link or announcement from maglite that they discontinued the light?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the cell at Maglite.com, but the actual light, except for some header pics, is no longer available at maglite.com. I'm awaiting confirm of the discontinued status from Mag themselves. My info came from a retailer who is discounting the remaining lights.

dkirker

Newly Enlightened
Fun story. I had actually been looking to purchase a second rechargeable Mag-Tac back in early April. I was hunting for a deal and finally settled on an eBay listing where I was able to get a crowned bezel for ~$85. Many of the "deals" I had tried to go after were either sold out, or when the seller realized that the price was listed lower than they thought (really? they didn't check their listings first???) they canceled/declined/otherwise ended the order. This particular seller honored the sale (and later updated the listing for the other item).

Annnyyywayyy.... the really awesome part: Fast forward and the light finally arrives. I was blown away when I pulled the box out of the shipping package to see a sticker on it updating the lumens and specs! What was awesome was that wasn't the only change made! I checked out the tailcap which had the following indications of a change:

• Stamped V2.5
  • Button tactile feedback was different
  • Bezel around the button is cut with the recess being more accommodating for a thumb press
  • Different pogo pins used, as well as different mount for pogo pins
  • Polished charging contact vs. the old "brushed" style

I'll have to collect some photos (been meaning to do that and post here -- but I think I need to get past the 3 post thing, which this post might do). So far, the V2.5 Mag-Tac has been my EDC (I also got a different, metal, and more slim-line pocket clip to use on the light -- though mostly as a lanyard attachment :p ) and I've quite enjoyed it. So far I haven't had any issues with a charger that I have at home, and a charger that I have put in my Chevy (though the Chevy's charger is set to use accessory power and sometimes turns on with a red light -- easily fixed by resetting power to it), as well as a charger I have butchered that I will turn in to a portable "clamp" to go in my backpack. I really dig the convenience of a drop-in charging system.

dkirker

Newly Enlightened
As promised, photos:

The full flashlight:

The new tailcap with the V2.5 etched into it:

Comparison of the old tailcap and the new tailcap (ignore the marking on the underside of the old one -- I was trying to figure out how to disassemble it so that I could mod it):

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wanted to see how users of this newer V2.5 are enjoying their lights? I was looking into getting one of these for my dad to use at home but want to make sure all the kinks have been worked out. I've tried a friends in the past but it didn't function correctly. I couldn't access the low mode on his light. On the Mag website it shows that the current light does 671 lumens on high and 22 on low. Any input on the updated version of the Mag Tac would be appreciated. Thanks all!

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
Wanted to see how users of this newer V2.5 are enjoying their lights? I was looking into getting one of these for my dad to use at home but want to make sure all the kinks have been worked out. I've tried a friends in the past but it didn't function correctly. I couldn't access the low mode on his light. On the Mag website it shows that the current light does 671 lumens on high and 22 on low. Any input on the updated version of the Mag Tac would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Maglite just upgraded my Mini Maglite AA Pro + to the new 351 Lumen LED (yes they actually upgraded it!) let me see if they can update my MagTac Rechargeable Cren Bezel , I JUST bought two more OLDER MagTAC Rechargeable Cren bezels new from Botach Tactical for $50 ea so I don't really want to buy another Laughs. (My older MagTAC rechargeable lasts me about 5 work days between charges used mostly on low, I'm a mechanic)