Genius

tonyb

Enlightened
Society cannot contribute anything to the breeding and growing of ingenious men. A creative genius cannot be trained. There are no schools for creativeness. A genius is precisely a man who defies all schools and rules, who deviates from the traditional roads of routine and opens up new paths through land inaccessible before. A genius is always a teacher, never a pupil; he is always self-made.
-- Ludwig von Mises

I thought some of you out there might appreciate this.
Tony.

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Wouldn't a genius be open to learning as a teacher and in that sense be a form of a perpetual pupil of all that surrounds them?
Sorry Ludwig/Tony I tend to question a lot of things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wylie,

Good point. Unless someone is born with knowledge, it must be acquired somehow. I think the point is inovation as apposed to replication or simple permutation.

IMHO, teaching and learning are but two sides of the same coin; having and using the coin is key. Perhaps self-taught is an example?

Well OK then, back under the rock I go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
A genius must by necessity, learn by adaptation. If one cannot adapt, one is unable further his knowledge. As Don said, knowledge must be acquired somehow. A genius must be able to learn as well as teach. And so I shall, too, go back under MY rock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe the genius is always a teacher by BEING a pupil. I blew up the rock (with a half-pound of C4* ) that a few unfriendlies TRIED to make me crawl under about 35 years ago./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

*Cheese wiz Formula 4)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
KT,

After the C4 went, did you hear the sound of one hand clapping? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .......

I believe a genius practices ingenuity rather than the ryhthm method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Now where's my rock again....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Good thing that I'm reading this. Haven't been able to hear much after that event. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Want me to bring some C4 to your rock? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Well, Uh, I think my rock is just fine as is, but thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Uh, this thread is titled genius but I guess a rock isn't too far off topic, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

In the pursuit of wisdom, there comes a point where current knowledge is abandoned. In the pursuit of knowledge, there comes a point where current wisdom is abandoned. Finally, If I knew what I was talking about, I would listen instead.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The initial statement is just plain false.
But inspiring for a good thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A genius may be a simpleton.
bernhard

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I don't know about you people and your rocks...

To me,

Genius is simply putting together bits and pieces in a way that it has not been conceived of before,

Knowledge comes from gathering the bits and pieces,

and Wisdom comes from surviving your mistakes. If you make a mistake, survive it, and do not repeat it, you have gained wisdom.

Tom

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I find bait for fishing under rocks sometimes but crawling under one is no option for me. I'm still trying to find a place in the closet for my old rock but blasting sounds like a great option.
Thanks guys I now have a big smile on my face from reading these posts.
ROCK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Keep it real bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie

tonyb

Enlightened
When they asked Michelangelo Buonarroti how he conceived his great marble sculpture David he replied, "I only chipped away the outside to reveal what was already there".

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wylie,

I got a little goofy with this thread. Looking at all the posts, it made me smile as well. Thanks for that, everyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
"innovation can be taught-In many cases, it simply requires that one be taught to consider unconventional solutions"
Recognising the unconventional opportunity towards a solution cannot be taught if an invention or discovery is truly ingenious. Ingenuity presented as a flash is nearly mystical, as one is pondering a problem and some invisible forces marshall ones energies, attention and knowledge together- seemingly automatically when SUDDENLY the solution appears in this flash, as though presented by some invisible hand, rising from the waters of an enchanted lake- waiting for you, the medium to reach out and grasp it and then present it to the world.

B@rt

Flashaholic
hand%20draw.jpg

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting topic. Regrettably, I can't contribute anything to it from my dark hole. I never emerge...why do you think I'm so partial to flashlights?!?