Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Z2 Combat Light

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Z2 Combat Light

Nice. Good snag.
    Prometheans #253

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Well, it's finally here. And, I am extra happy as I got the original incan by the looks of it(Z2-BK 65 lumen). I got it from a retail store so it was open on display but, it is mint condition. Did I do ok for $80US?
    [quoted pics deleted]
    Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    Yes!!!!! a beaut, congrats.

The incand is awesome as it is, cool for nostalgic flashlight moments. Enjoy

And yes you did awesome for 80 bucks!!!!!
    Last edited by Kestrel; 03-17-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: quoted pics deleted

This just came too, it's like Christmas lol. Now, just waiting on the Xeno bezel...
    https://i.imgur.com/s2a1ItX.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sgt253 View Post
    Nice. Good snag.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Yes!!!!! a beaut, congrats.

The incand is awesome as it is, cool for nostalgic flashlight moments. Enjoy

And yes you did awesome for 80 bucks!!!!!
    Thanks Ven.

Yep, pretty cool for sure. I will have to get some more bulbs. I threw the EDC+ dropin in there for now along with an unprotected Sanyo UR16650ZTA charged to 4.35V. You were right, this dropin looks very nice quality.

Ok good. It seamed like a descent deal. Good thing I jumped on it as it was the only one in stock.

The base of the actual drop in case, can also be used as a bezel ring tool.

Also , removing the grip rings(does not help grip lol) but it gives the torch a totally different, elegant/smooth piece of lighting equipment look.

The base of the actual drop in case, can also be used as a bezel ring tool.

Also , removing the grip rings(does not help grip lol) but it gives the torch a totally different, elegant/smooth piece of lighting equipment look.
    Yep, I saw that on the bottom there thanks. I may use it to install the Xeno so I don't scratch it. Xeno should be here tomorrowish.

Good to know, I will try it without them too eventually. Loving it so far!

Yay, glad to hear. The love just goes from strength to strength. 1 isnt enough, its kind of too nice to beat on. So then you need another, one to enjoy with guilt free drops and twangs. Just sayin

Do you have a c2? If not, that is another must host. The green/grey HA is amazing(not exact but kind of think zebra type).

Good catch on that new-in-package Z2.
    IMO the 6Z/Z2 lights were the very pinnacle of flashlight body design in the history of SureFire.

Yay, glad to hear. The love just goes from strength to strength. 1 isnt enough, its kind of too nice to beat on. So then you need another, one to enjoy with guilt free drops and twangs. Just sayin

Do you have a c2? If not, that is another must host. The green/grey HA is amazing(not exact but kind of think zebra type).
    Yeah, may have to get another as a backup as it is definitely awesome but, this one is definitely getting used(no safe Queen's for this cat but, I do take very good care of my stuff).

A C2 has been on the list for a while as well. I have actually had one in my cart multiple times. May have to wait for next year though(I generally only do the light game during the winter then switch back to other hobbies and use the lights I have) as I am almost done my light upgrades for this year and have already spent a ton.

Last edited by Tachead; 03-17-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Good catch on that new-in-package Z2.
    IMO the 6Z/Z2 lights were the very pinnacle of flashlight body design in the history of SureFire.
    Thanks Kestrel.

Yes, this light is definitely something special. I have always been more of a 1-cell E-Series guy as I prefer small EDC's and don't use large lights much but, I definitely need to grab a couple of Z/C/G/P staples before they are too hard to get(it's already there for many models as you know). I'm thinking C2 in Natural HAIII next. I have never been a collector but, I find it hard to resist old SF as they are pretty much the pinnacle of flashlight history(imo anyway).

Last edited by Tachead; 03-17-2020 at 03:19 PM.

I'm guessing not but, does anyone know if there was ever a Z2 HAIII(natural or blk) made? If not, I wonder why? I would give my left nut for one in Natural HAIII if there is lol. I may have to settle for a C2...

Last edited by Tachead; 03-17-2020 at 03:20 PM.

It still gets dark at night

I wish i could be as disciplined, not a chance!!! Being a big kid would be grown up for me

Yes defo better to use, life is too short. I use mine here and there but careful, so i duped some for beaters. I can get to enjoy some of my fav surefires and get to drop them! How cool is that, and not even care. I actually like a beat on flashlight, but i also like minty ones. I think they are at their worst when perfect, except that little spec or ding that always catches your eye. Strangely the first ding can also help me start to enjoy them more. I am weird lol. Either mint or beat, not keen on the in between part!.

Glad a C2 is on the list, it will look very nice with your z2.

It still gets dark at night

I wish i could be as disciplined, not a chance!!! Being a big kid would be grown up for me

Yes defo better to use, life is too short. I use mine here and there but careful, so i duped some for beaters. I can get to enjoy some of my fav surefires and get to drop them! How cool is that, and not even care. I actually like a beat on flashlight, but i also like minty ones. I think they are at their worst when perfect, except that little spec or ding that always catches your eye. Strangely the first ding can also help me start to enjoy them more. I am weird lol. Either mint or beat, not keen on the in between part!.

Glad a C2 is on the list, it will look very nice with your z2.
    Lol.

Oh, I am definitely not the most disciplined. I just have too many expensive hobbies and not enough money so, I have to concentrate on one or two at a time lol.

If you are weird, I am too.

Yes, have to add a C2 going forward for sure. Super nice collection sir.

On another note, how did you install the Xeno as far as O-rings and gaskets go? It comes with a GITD O-ring(as does the EDC+ dropin). The Z2 has a black rubber gasket then the lens, then the bezel ring. Could you please list the order of the gaskets, O-rings, lens, bezel? I am surprised no instructions were provided. Thanks again Ven.

Last edited by Tachead; 03-19-2020 at 07:29 AM.

On mine, i have the gasket under the lens, so flat gasket, lens on top of said, then the xeno screwed down. Depending if you need to space out(so the lens is loose when xeno locked up). Would determine if you need to fit an O ring to make up the extra gap. Its a variable depending on drop in and head.

Not sure which, i am sure the cooly host is one. I had to use O rings in that host to space out. Otherwise the lens ends up loose/rattly if makes sense.

You can't have too many "Z" style lights. My daughter has a G2Z in her car and I have one more out for boring. Also, I agree with Kestrel that the "C's" are pretty cool looking, but I never really liked the feel of them.

"It's not rocket surgery"

My faithful z2 with a Lumens Factory warm Led drop-in was my favorite every day user light for many many years.. it doubles as my main bike light with thousands of miles ridden running AWs excellent 17670s. .unfortunately i misplaced it several months back and have still yet to find it.. U2 loaned to a friend when he needed an extra bike light to ride home and it's long gone never to be seen again either... I found good in the situation by using these as a reason to build up my collection of old surefires. 😁😁😁
    Last edited by BigBaller; 03-19-2020 at 04:04 PM.

On mine, i have the gasket under the lens, so flat gasket, lens on top of said, then the xeno screwed down. Depending if you need to space out(so the lens is loose when xeno locked up). Would determine if you need to fit an O ring to make up the extra gap. Its a variable depending on drop in and head.

Not sure which, i am sure the cooly host is one. I had to use O rings in that host to space out. Otherwise the lens ends up loose/rattly if makes sense.
    Ok, thanks. I found it works best with the stock lens and gasket(although not as tight as I'd like). The supplied lens is thinner and rattles with the gasket. The O-ring makes things too tight even with the thinner lens and gasket.

Last edited by Tachead; 03-20-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    You can't have too many "Z" style lights. My daughter has a G2Z in her car and I have one more out for boring. Also, I agree with Kestrel that the "C's" are pretty cool looking, but I never really liked the feel of them.
    That is a sweet collection sir.

I may not like the feel of the C2 either(I can't remember if I ever held one years ago). I like the Z2 as it doesn't have a clip. If I want I clip, I will add an OR tailcap like you did(I usually don't pocket carry lights this big anyway). I may still get a C2 though as it is a SF staple lol.

Last edited by Tachead; 03-20-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Hope you find your lights BigBaller.

I am sure i use all the sureifre lens and they are much thicker than others. Gasket, lens, bezel ring nipped by that palm of my hand. I dont even need to use the tool much to tighten. Plus you get a feel for how tight, as long as nipped, it wont go anywhere. When it starts to slip on your palm, its tight enough!.

I need to get some surefire use, my flashlight use has been lacking.

Yeah, I cranked it down pretty tight with the plastic tool so as not to scratch it. I wish it was a bit tighter fit though as I would like a bit more compression on the gasket before the bezel bottoms out on the head. I may try and source a slightly thicker gasket. The lens doesn't rattle but, I would feel better about the water tightness if there was a bit more compression on the gasket. No big deal for now though as I don't exactly plan to beat in this thing(at least until I get another lol).

You know like a year ago I bought my first Z2. Now I have like 5. They are great lights.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    You know like a year ago I bought my first Z2. Now I have like 5. They are great lights.
    Yep, one the greatest body designs in flashlight history imo. SF was always so far ahead of the times with their designs. Many of their designs from a decade ago or even multiple decades ago still best designs of today imo. Almost my entire flashlight lineup is E or Z/P/C/G compatible and I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever, for this reason as well as many others(user serviceable, modular, support from many aftermarket companies, etc.).

Last edited by Tachead; 03-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Does anyone have a Z3 thatís been bored to 18MM?

I donít. But was going to do that. But started looking at wall thickness and thought twice about it. Didnít look like there would be a lot of meat left. Could be wrong though.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I donít. But was going to do that. But started looking at wall thickness and thought twice about it. Didnít look like there would be a lot of meat left. Could be wrong though.
    This is definitely true for the Z2, but the Z3 has a fair amount of ďmeatĒ where the flats are.

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    This is definitely true for the Z2, but the Z3 has a fair amount of ďmeatĒ where the flats are.
    The thinnest part is under the o-ring groove, an identical dimension for either light, so I believe that area to be the most vulnerable.
    The 18-mm boring debate has been worn /very/ thin over the years (with much CPF discussion easily findable via Google Search), so it would be nice to not revisit it here in detail.
    Am not speaking as a staff member here, just wanted to send an FYI that this debate has already been explored rather thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The thinnest part is under the o-ring groove, an identical dimension for either light, so I believe that area to be the most vulnerable.
    The 18-mm boring debate has been worn /very/ thin over the years (with much CPF discussion easily findable via Google Search), so it would be nice to not revisit it here in detail.
    Am not speaking as a staff member here, just wanted to send an FYI that this debate has already been explored rather thoroughly.
    It's OK to continuously remind members of the risks of over-boring, no matter how many times that has been discussed.
    If they don't listen then it's their problem when a bore job goes wrong -- they have been warned...

So just to reiterate, for a ~18.9mm bore there will be just around 35C of thickness left at the o-ring groove area. Some machinists think it's still strong enough, but not all agree.
    I'd say, maintaining a minimal thickness of at least 50C would be safer, even though that would sacrifice some protected hi-cap 18650 compatibility.

With 16mm cells getting pretty good, why bore anymore?
    5 years ago, yeah. But things have changed and the benefits of 18mm cells has become less these days.
    John 3:16

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast