NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Z2 Combat Light

Default Re: Z2 Combat Light

Not to mention boring an old and long discontinued collectors favorite light is kind of sad imo. Kind of like drilling holes and installing a carbon fiber spoiler on a 69' Z28...

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    With 16mm cells getting pretty good, why bore anymore?
    Battery standardization. But if given a do-over, I would probably go exclusively with 16mm plus spacers. 3 years ago, lacking this expert knowledge, I bought my 6Ps bored (from Bugsy). Fortunately I’ve had no problems.

At least my Z2 is stock!
    Last edited by lion504; 04-01-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. [My_Lights]

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Battery standardization. But if given a do-over, I would probably go exclusively with 16mm plus spacers. 3 years ago, lacking this expert knowledge, I bought my 6Ps bored (from Bugsy). Fortunately I’ve had no problems.

At least my Z2 is stock!
    My understanding is that there aren't many good 16650/17670 out there these days. The AWs are way too outdated (and obsolete), but the current Pana one (in the guise of Keepower protected, for example) must charge up to 4.35V to achieve the advertised 2500mAh.

By contrast a good quality but unprotected 3500mAh 18650 can fit into slightly narrower bores without issue, say, ~18.7mm, meaning the o-ring groove neck can be kept at slightly thicker (40-50C).

The other thing is that a well-bored C-body (6P especially) usually increases resale value. That doesn't mean one can make a fortune from that, however -- it depends on luck and hard work. The bore needs to be consistent, has upper side battery guard lip (some don't AFAIK), and optionally, reamed and honed for a smoother feel for battery sliding.

But NO, Z2/Z3/C2/C3 hosts are not ideal for bore mod. When a bore job goes wrong, so does the (precious) body concerned.
    That said, HAIII reanodize is something highly suggested, as the stock HAII does't last for very long, before nicks, dings, chips develop in the long run.

But LiIon-wise, as long as the C-body's stock bore needs to be preserved, your best bet would be the Pana 16650 (2500mAh/4.35V).

Flashaholic*

All my Z2's are bored. Most were done by Oveready. There are no issues at all. The Z2 is my prefered Surefire P60 light. I have tons of Z2's I love the Z2's combat grip a lot. If I remember correctly I have somewhere in my parts box still a sealed Z2 ...

At all the Surefire P60 hosts are a great piece of history. Unfortunately in the last years the Surefire products were not that interesting anymore to me. My last Surefire was a Surefire Aviator Blue, I was bored and wanted to buy a Surefire. That was my last one...

Here some Z2's I own:

Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 04-02-2020 at 05:06 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    All my Z2's are bored. Most were done by Oveready. There are no issues at all. The Z2 is my prefered Surefire P60 light. I have tons of Z2's I love the Z2's combat grip a lot. If I remember correctly I have somewhere in my parts box still a sealed Z2 ...
    OR might have done some really nice C-body customizations, but that's history now as they're moving on to their own Boss systems.

AFAIK OR's 18mm bore measures ~18.6mm which IMO is conservative, but at safe levels, even though some protected 18650s (or anything poorly wrapped for that reason) won't fit in.

Love the camo and yellow Z2s. A multi cam OR popped up on the WTS a number of months ago and I delayed (ultimately sold to another member). Still bent about that...

Good points yazkaz. I have a few keepower 16650s, purchased exclusively for my Z2. Only light I own that has a specific matched battery.

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz View Post
    [...] HAIII reanodize is something highly suggested, as the stock HAII does't last for very long, before nicks, dings, chips develop in the long run.)
    HA is Type-III anodizing; so saying either "HA" or Type-III is sufficient.
    Furthermore, there is no such thing as HAII; that is called Type-II anodizing.

-----

All of my favorite SF's are 18-mm bored & I use them heavily; most of them were bored conservatively by OR/TL, and I've been very very satisfied.

My very few oversized cells can go in my Bugsy-bored 6Z or my 18mm-bodied U2 thanks Bill - which I note has a steel insert reinforcing the vulnerable rear o-ring area, and subsequently loads 18650's from the front.
    Last edited by Kestrel; 04-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.

Flashaholic*

Normally I would go outside with my camera equipment and take pictures. But since Europe and Germany also is in "Hybernate" state I did a picture of my Ceracote Z2's a few minutes ago.

From left to Right (all Z2s are Cerakoted):
    OR Camo, OR GITD White, Schoolbus Yellow (*), Bugsy Orange, Bugsy Burnt Bronze and a Bronze HDS that will not start with Patina - but I like the look of my "still new Looking" Bronze HDS also.
    (*) Don't remember the CPF user anymore, who offered the cerakote service…

But since the Cerakote is easy to Scratch and to wear out the Cerakote, this 5 Z2's are my Z2 Shelf Queens not intended to be used. The other Z2s I own are in normal use.
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 04-02-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Love it, awesome line up of z2's

Dang, you have a beautiful family WoL! How come it's so easy to scratch??? I thought this stuff was supposed to protect handguns....

[...] How come it's so easy to scratch??? I thought this stuff was supposed to protect handguns....
    That's because the marketing department doesn't care about input from the engineering department.

Flashaholic*

Dang, you have a beautiful family WoL! How come it's so easy to scratch??? I thought this stuff was supposed to protect handguns....
    I saw here in CPF a few cerakote lights that had scratched cerakote or on the edged rubbed down cerakote. I can not tell you if the cerakote processing was not perfect or if this is the "normal" behaviour of cerakote.

The intention of the 5 lights above was getting them because they are looking cool and the Z2 is my favorite P60 host, not because I want to use them. To use a Z2 I have lots of stock Z2s I can use daily. Could be possible I am the person with the most Z2s in one single room…?

I do not have a lot shelf queens, and my feeling is a flashlight should be used. But this cerakote Z2s are an exception. Would be a pity if this lights would not look this perfect anymore.

I would be exactly the same if as lucky to own WOL. I won’t even beat on mint ones! So I get a beater ........to beat! Guilt free enjoyment . Maybe I am just as crazy as you

But this cerakote Z2s are an exception. Would be a pity if this lights would not look this perfect anymore.
    Understandable. The first rule is to look cool...

Wow, nice collection WOL. Love the camo one. Is that also Ceracoated or right from SF? (I know they did some limited camo E2e & C2's at least).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    HA is Type-III anodizing; so saying either "HA" or Type-III is sufficient.
    Furthermore, there is no such thing as HAII; that is called Type-II anodizing.
    Yes, yes. This is a deeprooted mistake many of us here have been making all the time, but is somehow not easy to correct.
    But in various casual communications many do understand what HA2 and HA3 really mean (ie. Type 2 and Type 3 HA respectively), even at metal processing facilities. So I guess it's OK. (Once an anodizing facility I had business with called me asking what I meant by "HAIII HB" on the job quote sheet. I told them "Type 3 Hard Black" and the staff instantly understood.)

So should I be making corrections by referring the ano processes as "Ty2" and "Ty3 HA"? Possible, just not easy to adapt to. So old habits come back.

The other thing: in some online selling platforms some sellers still confuse with Type 2 and Type 3 ano and thus describe the items to be sold wrongly.
    For example, a standard Z41 tailcap with Ty2 black is being referred to as "HA black." So, if I were the buyer interested in that tailcap, and if the listing picture does not show the product's color properly, I would press the seller: "Is it n HA2 [Type 2] black or HA3 [Type 3] Hard Black?" Usually I would get the answers in a timely manner.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Wow, nice collection WOL. Love the camo one. Is that also Ceracoated or right from SF? (I know they did some limited camo E2e & C2's at least).
    All of the 5 Z2's are cerakoted, no HA. The E2e and C2 directly from Surefire are at least from what I remember HA, aren't they?

The two Z2's from the left (the camo and the GITD white) are done by Oveready looooong time ago. There are not much around, maybe 5(?) camo and maybe 10(?) GITD white. They were regular available in their online shop.

The other 3 are kind of unique. They were done individually for me on request. The orange one and the burnt bronze one was done by Bugsy years ago, and the yellow one also on request for me by an other CPF guy I do not remember anymore.

All of the 5 Z2's are cerakoted, no HA. The E2e and C2 directly from Surefire are at least from what I remember HA, aren't they?

The two Z2's from the left (the camo and the GITD white) are done by Oveready looooong time ago. There are not much around, maybe 5(?) camo and maybe 10(?) GITD white. They were regular available in their online shop.

The other 3 are kind of unique. They were done individually for me on request. The orange one and the burnt bronze one was done by Bugsy years ago, and the yellow one also on request for me by an other CPF guy I do not remember anymore.
    No offence but you really had a lot of money to burn, for all those Cerakoted Z2s? Not my cup of tea though -- I mean the practice of having these customizations carried out.

The E2e, I'm not sure. Think there were Type 2 variants from the very early batches (incl. Wine Light and anything in Gun Metal) but the rest were in Type 3 HA (OD).

Meanwhile the C2 was available in both Type 2 Black and Type 3 HA (OD). I too was planning to get the former hoping to turn it into Type 3 Hard Black, but sadly missed that opportunity.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by yazkaz View Post
    No offence but you really had a lot of money to burn, for all those Cerakoted Z2s? Not my cup of tea though -- I mean the practice of having these customizations carried out.
    I did not bought this Z2s at the same time. The first one was the camo, the 2nd one the GITD White, the orange and Bronze were bought at the same time, and than later the yellow.
    But I guess today I would not buy cerakoted lights anymore because it scratches easy and wears out. I also normally use my expensive lights too. The Bronze HDS that is on the picture with the 5 Z2s will also be used, but not always.

"It's not rocket surgery"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456