The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

Default SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

Sadly one of my old 4 flats A2's died today. I ran the main beam much longer than usual due to seeing my way through torrential rain at night in the woods. About 30 minutes.

The head got a bit warm but not hot. I then turned out the light but after 15 minutes I tried it again but the incan did not come on. Batteries flat I thought. On getting home and trying fresh batteries the bulb still did not come on. But upon removing the tailcap I smell burning semiconductor. The regulator had fried.
    Its completely standard and running Duracell 123's.

Has anyone had an A2 fixed by Surefire? Do they still honour the warranty?

Thanks for any input. This light means a lot to me and I really want to get it fixed. It was my first SureFire and a gift. Lots of memories.

Default Re: SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

Do the LED's work? Did you try a new bulb?
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

If it was smelly in the tailcap then resistor is fried. If you dare you can easily replace it (10ohm). I can send you pics of the process.
    If not, then yes, SF still covering A2. I had the same case few months ago, sent them (SF) an email. Although i wasnít the first owner, they sent me brand new Z62 tailcap!

Go ahead and give them a shout.

Thanks for the input. Yes the LED's work. When the incan should be on they brighten a little. I tried a brand new genuine lamp and no dice. The smell is strongest at the top of the light when the reflector assembly is unscrewed.

I'll be contacting SF but I'm in the UK and when I tried in the past I got nowhere. I hope they respond. If they can't fix the A2 can the regulator be removed and repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Minimoog View Post
    Thanks for the input. Yes the LED's work. When the incan should be on they brighten a little. I tried a brand new genuine lamp and no dice. The smell is strongest at the top of the light when the reflector assembly is unscrewed.

I'll be contacting SF but I'm in the UK and when I tried in the past I got nowhere. I hope they respond. If they can't fix the A2 can the regulator be removed and repaired?
    Regulator? You mean driver in the body or the tailcap resistor?
    Driver retaining plastic is really rigid and removal is possible only if youíre gentile with the hammer and a pinpunch and even then youíll brake retaining plastic.
    Tailcap resistor can be replaced easily.

BTW i live in Croatia (even worse location than yours) but that didnít stop SF to send me replacement parts.

Yes I meant the driver in the body. I looked and I can see the tabs. I emailed SF. Lets see what they say. May be good news.

Yes I meant the driver in the body. I looked and I can see the tabs. I emailed SF. Lets see what they say. May be good news.
    Thumbsup!

I had a tailcap go in mine a month or two ago. Sent me a new one in 3 days. Makes me wonder what they have in stock.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Minimoog,
    The scuttlebutt has always been that Surefire honors warranties, but is extremely slow to respond to emails, but is much more timely responding to calls and/or voicemails. I can understand not wanting to place that long of a distance overseas call for warranty issues. If you don't want to call them, you may need to be very patient to get an email back from them, but it does not mean that they are ultimatey ignoring you.

I know of someone (from another forum) who recently had an A2 tailcap replaced under warranty, to the UK, by eMail, with no fuss.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I have surefire A2 4 Flat black too, I have the problem from Regulator ring, My A2 in cannot work but LED ok, I try to change new ring and blub
    I order the ring from Koala
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-rings)/page14
    And I want to change the Bulb from Lumen factory
    https://lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=391
    I try to fix my ring it works normally and I keep the original ring and blub and use modify ring and new blub, my ring can change with White & Blue LED

I have a friend in US , When I send an e-mail to surefire about my fSF Problem , SF send part to my address friend in US and he can bring back to thailand

Last edited by chainsolid; 11-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    I Love King Bhumibol Adulyadej
    Your forever follower & Always Our Beloved King.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Minimoog,
    The scuttlebutt has always been that Surefire honors warranties, but is extremely slow to respond to emails, but is much more timely responding to calls and/or voicemails.
    I've actually said that of them in the past but lately I've had to email them twice and they were on it right away.

Earlier this year I had need for what I thought were "unicorn" parts for a discontinued light. Two phone calls later, and parts were at my door. I think their parts shelves are pretty deep... Please keep us posted, OP.

For what it's worth, there is a NIB tailcap and a used body with working driver on Evilbay right now...
    Last edited by scout24; 11-29-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Unenlightened

I spoke with them last week about a P60L module that has burned out. I was told that my 6P was outdated and that I should just purchase a newer model. Looks like Iíll be purchasing a Malkoff drop-in or be forced to go back to incandescent.

Had a reply. I need to go via a UK SF stockist so I have contacted them. I asked SF about A2 repairs and it looks hopeful.

Fingers crossed!

Just to keep updated I have had a reply from the UK stockist they know what to do so all good so I'm boxing up the light and sending this week. It will probably take a few weeks so that's it for now.

Surefire customer service-the best!

Its been a while with SF but I have two choices. What should I do?

1. Have faulty Black A2 returned unrepaired (spares no longer available)
    2. SureFire 'destroy' my Black A2 and send me a new EDCL2

Is a faulty - but mint condition Black A2 worth more than a new EDCL2? Advice appreciated.

So sorry to hear that, wasnít expecting that kind of update
    Good question TBH, am waitting for someone to reply as well.

Sent from Tapatalk

What's wrong with the A2 ?

Its been a while with SF but I have two choices. What should I do?

1. Have faulty Black A2 returned unrepaired (spares no longer available)
    2. SureFire 'destroy' my Black A2 and send me a new EDCL2

Is a faulty - but mint condition Black A2 worth more than a new EDCL2? Advice appreciated.
    If the head is fried and canít be fixed it is now nothing but a sentimental piece I would think. Anyone know if you could take the guts out of another A2 and put in the spent host?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Yes, guts can be taken out and installed into other body.
    You only need to be really carefull with those tiny black ratining legs on top. The best way is to use a heatgun to soften them a bit (they are really stiff) and pry it with a screwdriver or similar.
    Then gentile tap from the back (inside of the tube) with a pin punch will do the magic.

Sent from Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    What's wrong with the A2 ?
    The lamp regulator and driver PCB is faulty. LED's work fine, lamp does not.

It would not light after the light got warm when I used it continuously for 20 minutes one time, then would not turn on again after that. I fitted fresh batteries then just a small burning smell of the IC failing.

Is that on the ring, or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Yes, guts can be taken out and installed into other body.
    You only need to be really carefull with those tiny black ratining legs on top. The best way is to use a heatgun to soften them a bit (they are really stiff) and pry it with a screwdriver or similar.
    Then gentile tap from the back (inside of the tube) with a pin punch will do the magic.

Sent from Tapatalk
    This is a fair option, but would mean robbing another A2 - which are in short supply in the UK as it is - and it would be criminal to render another A2 useless.

Its a real quandary. I suppose unless there is someone really wanting a black A2 the offer from SF is fair - and they are firm that it is not sent back as well as the new light - which is fair enough.

Is that on the ring, or not ?
    Its inside under the lamp - but not able to see it without taking it to bits - which I did not do as returned it to SF for evaluation.

Without spares, all A2's are on borrowed time.

This is a fair option, but would mean robbing another A2 - which are in short supply in the UK as it is - and it would be criminal to render another A2 useless....
    The HA-BK finish A2 were a special limited run, released overseas only I believe, thus rare and (much) more desirable than the common HA (natural) finish A2.

Its inside under the lamp - but not able to see it without taking it to bits - which I did not do as returned it to SF for evaluation.
    I was specifically asking if you happen to know if the damaged part is on the "onion ring" because many replacements for those were produced by a variety of modders.

Without spares, all A2's are on borrowed time.
    This is why I bought several heavily used and cosmetically rough A2 "parts lights" a few years back.
    Last edited by archimedes; 05-13-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Minimoog clean your inbox. PM sent

Sent from Tapatalk

I was specifically asking if you happen to know if the damaged part is on the "onion ring" because many replacements for those were produced by a variety of modders.

Understood. Its the regulator that has failed - the LED ring is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    Minimoog clean your inbox. PM sent

Sent from Tapatalk
    Cleaned!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast