SureFire A2 Aviator warranty still valid?

Minimoog

Enlightened
Sadly one of my old 4 flats A2's died today. I ran the main beam much longer than usual due to seeing my way through torrential rain at night in the woods. About 30 minutes.

The head got a bit warm but not hot. I then turned out the light but after 15 minutes I tried it again but the incan did not come on. Batteries flat I thought. On getting home and trying fresh batteries the bulb still did not come on. But upon removing the tailcap I smell burning semiconductor. The regulator had fried.
Its completely standard and running Duracell 123's.

Has anyone had an A2 fixed by Surefire? Do they still honour the warranty?

Thanks for any input. This light means a lot to me and I really want to get it fixed. It was my first SureFire and a gift. Lots of memories.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it was smelly in the tailcap then resistor is fried. If you dare you can easily replace it (10ohm). I can send you pics of the process.
If not, then yes, SF still covering A2. I had the same case few months ago, sent them (SF) an email. Although i wasn't the first owner, they sent me brand new Z62 tailcap!

Go ahead and give them a shout.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Yes the LED's work. When the incan should be on they brighten a little. I tried a brand new genuine lamp and no dice. The smell is strongest at the top of the light when the reflector assembly is unscrewed.

I'll be contacting SF but I'm in the UK and when I tried in the past I got nowhere. I hope they respond. If they can't fix the A2 can the regulator be removed and repaired?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input. Yes the LED's work. When the incan should be on they brighten a little. I tried a brand new genuine lamp and no dice. The smell is strongest at the top of the light when the reflector assembly is unscrewed.

I'll be contacting SF but I'm in the UK and when I tried in the past I got nowhere. I hope they respond. If they can't fix the A2 can the regulator be removed and repaired?

Regulator? You mean driver in the body or the tailcap resistor?
Driver retaining plastic is really rigid and removal is possible only if you're gentile with the hammer and a pinpunch and even then you'll brake retaining plastic.
Tailcap resistor can be replaced easily.

BTW i live in Croatia (even worse location than yours) but that didn't stop SF to send me replacement parts.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Yes I meant the driver in the body. I looked and I can see the tabs. I emailed SF. Lets see what they say. May be good news.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I had a tailcap go in mine a month or two ago. Sent me a new one in 3 days. Makes me wonder what they have in stock.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimoog,
The scuttlebutt has always been that Surefire honors warranties, but is extremely slow to respond to emails, but is much more timely responding to calls and/or voicemails. I can understand not wanting to place that long of a distance overseas call for warranty issues. If you don't want to call them, you may need to be very patient to get an email back from them, but it does not mean that they are ultimatey ignoring you.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I know of someone (from another forum) who recently had an A2 tailcap replaced under warranty, to the UK, by eMail, with no fuss.

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
I have surefire A2 4 Flat black too, I have the problem from Regulator ring, My A2 in cannot work but LED ok, I try to change new ring and blub
I order the ring from Koala
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288701-FS-Onion-Rings-(SF-A2-LED-rings)/page14
And I want to change the Bulb from Lumen factory
https://lumensfactory.com/en/product_detail.php?pid=391
I try to fix my ring it works normally and I keep the original ring and blub and use modify ring and new blub, my ring can change with White & Blue LED

I have a friend in US , When I send an e-mail to surefire about my fSF Problem , SF send part to my address friend in US and he can bring back to thailand

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
Minimoog,
The scuttlebutt has always been that Surefire honors warranties, but is extremely slow to respond to emails, but is much more timely responding to calls and/or voicemails.

I've actually said that of them in the past but lately I've had to email them twice and they were on it right away.

scout24

Flashaholic
Earlier this year I had need for what I thought were "unicorn" parts for a discontinued light. Two phone calls later, and parts were at my door. I think their parts shelves are pretty deep... Please keep us posted, OP.

For what it's worth, there is a NIB tailcap and a used body with working driver on Evilbay right now...

Last edited:

Ahith

Newly Enlightened
I spoke with them last week about a P60L module that has burned out. I was told that my 6P was outdated and that I should just purchase a newer model. Looks like I'll be purchasing a Malkoff drop-in or be forced to go back to incandescent.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Had a reply. I need to go via a UK SF stockist so I have contacted them. I asked SF about A2 repairs and it looks hopeful.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Just to keep updated I have had a reply from the UK stockist they know what to do so all good so I'm boxing up the light and sending this week. It will probably take a few weeks so that's it for now.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Its been a while with SF but I have two choices. What should I do?

1. Have faulty Black A2 returned unrepaired (spares no longer available)
2. SureFire 'destroy' my Black A2 and send me a new EDCL2

Is a faulty - but mint condition Black A2 worth more than a new EDCL2? Advice appreciated.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
So sorry to hear that, wasn't expecting that kind of update[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
Good question TBH, am waitting for someone to reply as well.

Sent from Tapatalk