Malkoff MD2 drop-in options?

Flashlike

Enlightened
I recently purchased a used Malkoff MD2 with no drop-in and need to purchase an LED drop-in for it.

I tried searching on CPF for an answer to this, but didn't come up with anything definitive so I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Do the MD2 flashlights require a Malkoff drop-in only, or will some P60 drop-ins work in them? If so, what P60 drop ins would possibly work?
I have a couple of Malkoff drop-ins and used them successfully in Surefire flashlights, so that is why I was wondering if the P60 drop-ins might work in the MD2.

I'm looking for a 3-mode drop-in (i.e. low-med-high modes). Preferably one that starts in low.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff's locking ring system essentially makes the host compatible with Malkoff modules only. However, some people have found creative ways around that. It's possible to bore out the locking ring to accommodate a larger drop in, such as an Oveready triple.

If you're looking for something that fits without any fuss, it needs to come from Malkoff.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is a Malkoff M61, M61N or M61W with a high low ring. Honestly that's the best setup I've found and I've tried a lot. On the 3 mode drop ins I don't ever find myself using the medium it's always low or high. It's a pricey setup but it's one you can buy and keep forever.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Agree on the single output drop-in with the high-low ring. I like the M61L 219d From illumn

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep my new work light is a MD3 with a M61W high/low ring. I use 18500 in it. Runtime on high is little over 2 hours and is often WAY to bright "if thats possible " and with this setup the low is very useful. I always Carry 3 primaries just in case.

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks fellow CPF members for the information and your recommendations. The M61W with high/low ring sounds like a really good option. I was sort of hoping for a less expensive option, but I know from past experience that Gene's products are very dependable and high quality. Better than ending up with something that doesn't work properly and leads only to disappointment! :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes, EDC+ fit and the surefire sportacs do without any mods to ring.
EDC+ triple next to the m61
4Aujkdvl.jpg

With a little mod to the ring, other p60's will fit(all be it a little pointless with the bezel face)
tIGlSstl.jpg

OR mule fits
9lfMGQgl.jpg

Sportac in centre fits, however the end quad would not without ring mod
Ogrc4bXl.jpg

Right now and for a while, the single mode sportac triple 219b with hi/lo ring works perfect for my dog walking needs.
YSGoTGsl.jpg

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
I am just reading this post after having a play with my new Malkoff MD2 HOT.

This morning I used the Malkoff MD2 Head Wrench to take out the HOT drop-in and switch to a standard M61... worked well.
I then thought I would try a Sportac SF-XM L2 (from out of my Surefire 6Z). It worked well and the hi / low ring also worked flawlessly.

Of course there is a difference between the bezel on the MD2 HOT with its MDX 22.3 mm opening verses standard 16.5 mm. M61 will physically fit the MDX 22.3 head.

The only issue I found was that the MD2 Head Wrench would not fit due to the larger plate on the end of the Sportac tail spring.... so I just screwed it in with my finger nail.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have started to run all my Malkoff Dropins in the 22.3 head I think the beam looks and works much better

Flashlike

Enlightened
Thanks again to everyone for your posts. It's good to know my available options. And ven -- thanks for posting those photos. You definitely speak from experience (20,285 posts on this forum? I'm impressed.)!

I always thought the standard MD2 bezel opening (16.5 mm) seemed very small. It definitely limits the light output compared to having a larger opening. I'm leaning toward a drop-in with a single LED instead of triple LEDs for that reason.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
M61N with a hi/low will provide a nice, creamy beam while appearing nearly as bright as his cool beam.
Switched to low makes a very useable, battery sipper.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks again to everyone for your posts. It's good to know my available options. And ven -- thanks for posting those photos. You definitely speak from experience (20,285 posts on this forum? I'm impressed.)!

I always thought the standard MD2 bezel opening (16.5 mm) seemed very small. It definitely limits the light output compared to having a larger opening. I'm leaning toward a drop-in with a single LED instead of triple LEDs for that reason.

Yes it is narrow, however you can get away with a triple if thats your thing of course.
mwDyaIwl.jpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked Gene Malkoff if he would consider making a small run of MDX 22.3 Crenelated heads. His reply was "never say never" If a CPF member would post a poll I'd be first inline for couple heads:rock:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Omg! Yes!!! I wanted to put my M61T in my crenelated bezel but lost to much throw. So it's back in the 22.3.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we are wishing here, you know what would be absolutely tip top? An MDX head with a steel bezel ring, either crenelated or otherwise. The only weakness of the MDX system is the full aluminium head. You can't break the light engine by brute force, but you can surely muck up the head by dropping it on concrete.

Maybe a poll asking about stainless steel and/or crenelated bezel rings?