Acebeam        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was your favorite/best flashlight of 2018

Default Re: What was your favorite/best flashlight of 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I was fortunate enough to acquire a stainless steel triple in 2018. Good year for the collection.

~ CG

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite though.
    WOW!!! Beautiful collection. If you get bored with any please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz68 View Post
    WOW!!! Beautiful collection. If you get bored with any please let me know.
    Thank you, Nimitz68. You and I both missed a one-off Goliath, sold just today. anyway.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Thank you, Nimitz68. You and I both missed a one-off Goliath, sold just today. anyway.

~ Chance
    Yep, I saw that too late. Nice snag for the member that bought it. They don't last long at all around here.

Flashaholic

Frelux Synergy 1! It is a well-made light with good modes and ergonomics. Not to mention just kinda cool.
    Last edited by phosphor22; 01-06-2019 at 07:07 AM.

My favorite flashlight of 2018 also has to be the the Frelux Synergy1. The original design, simplicity, and communication from the maker are all exemplary. Itís been cool watching the flashlight go through several iterations, each one improving upon the last!

Second is a toss-up between my HDS Rotary and Omicron. The HDS wouldíve taken first if it had a decent clip.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Flashaholic*

For me it's the Sofirn C01.For years many of us craved an "E01 Killer", we even tried getting 4Sevens to make such a mythical beast, but that didn't work out. Finally after all of these years the folks over at BLF made it happen with Sofirn. They took the 2 weak points of the E01, the beam and tail design and improved upon them while still retaining what made the E01 great. No overthinking or overcomplicating and making an entirely different beast.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Default What was your favorite/best flashlight of 2018

the Acebeam x80gt. as is also my best and funnest light ever.
    My Favorite owned: Acebeam T21VN Oslon, Acebeam X80GT, Emisar D4TI 18350 hi LED, Fenix TK75 '15, Fenix FD20. Other: Fenix tk09, Emisar D4 hcri LED, Fenix BC30, Fenix tk32 '15, Coast polysteel full line, Coast g10.

Enlightened

Got several this year from Vinh but my favorite just because it is such a beast and overkill for most situations at least in "beast mode" is the X70....

Flashaholic

Fenix E01, wins the last few years for me and I wish it was made for another 20.

Man, I like me some micky b posts.
    With all its faults that EO1 is a dam good flashlight.
    John 3:16

Being honest and a flashaholic, I have to admit, my favorite is usually the last one purchased. The baby, if you will.

~ Chance

Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 01-12-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

^^ Very nice!

My game-changer light in 2018 was the Maratac Peanut. I see a lot of other flashlight companies releasing basically the same light, like the Olight i1R someone mentioned earlier, but the brass body of the Maratac looks really good on my key ring and the fact that you can replace the battery is a nice feature. This light was a game-changer for me because previously I was carrying a AAA light in my pocket, where it wasnít really being retained. A lot of people here may cringe to hear me say that I forgot it at home as often as I carried it! The Peanut light got a flashlight on my key ring, so Iíll always have it with me, and halved the size of a AAA light for essentially no penalty in brightness.
    Last edited by koziy; 01-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.

You'll receive no cringe from me. Every one in a while I run out of the house without a pocket-light. That's when the keychain-light comes in real handy.

koziy!

~ Chance

Flashaholic*

The only new light I added in 2018(I bought one other but, returned it)... The SF E2T-MV. Great light.

https://i.imgur.com/SVbWyE3.jpg
    Last edited by Tachead; 01-13-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Every time you say "SF E2T-MV," I have to Google it. Lol. It's the tactician. Do you run yours on primaries or a 16650?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Every one in a while I run out of the house without a pocket-light.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    L@@Ks like I forgot my c too.

~ Chance

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Every time you say "SF E2T-MV," I have to Google it. Lol. It's the tactician. Do you run yours on primaries or a 16650?
    Lol, I tend to be lazy and pick the shortest thing to type. Remember the first time I short formed your name to MF and you thought I was calling you names? Lol, that was funny.

Also, Surefire tends to give names to some lights but, only model numbers to others. That's why I usually just stick to the model number.

I have been running it on primaries but, I do have a couple of unprotected 4.35V Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2500mAh's on the way to try. The protected KeepPower's I have now(same 2500's Gene sells)are way too tight fyi. I got one of them in it to try but, had to force it back out. Most of the time I will be sticking to primaries anyway though as I bought the Tactician and EDCL1-T mainly to use with a handgun and want to stick to primaries for that application.

Surefire Tactician ( James Yeager light ). My fav light of 2018 closely followed by the EDCL1T.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachead View Post
    Lol, I tend to be lazy and pick the shortest thing to type. Remember the first time I short formed your name to MF and you thought I was calling you names? Lol, that was funny.

Also, Surefire tends to give names to some lights but, only model numbers to others. That's why I usually just stick to the model number.

I have been running it on primaries but, I do have a couple of unprotected 4.35V Sanyo UR16650ZTA 2500mAh's on the way to try. The protected KeepPower's I have now(same 2500's Gene sells)are way too tight fyi. I got one of them in it to try but, had to force it back out. Most of the time I will be sticking to primaries anyway though as I bought the Tactician and EDCL1-T mainly to use with a handgun and want to stick to primaries for that application.
    The output is much lower on 16650ís Iíve used Orbtronics.

Iíve found 2x 16340ís ( 700Mah ) work better but at the expensive of run time, as far as I can tell their is no loss in peak output compared to 123aís but runtime is way less.

I donít use the 16650ís anymore as itís really dim. Itís like 700 lumens maybe even high 600ís instead of 800 lumens peak output.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy22Aus View Post
    The output is much lower on 16650ís Iíve used Orbtronics.

Iíve found 2x 16340ís ( 700Mah ) work better but at the expensive of run time, as far as I can tell their is no loss in peak output compared to 123aís but runtime is way less.

I donít use the 16650ís anymore as itís really dim. Itís like 700 lumens maybe even high 600ís instead of 800 lumens peak output.
    Yeah, I hear it's about 500-600 lumens. I wouldn't say dim but, there is a noticeable difference if you look for it. There are comparison pics in the Tactician thread that show the difference well.

Yep, no difference in output judging by the runtime/output graphs I have seen. I only have flat top unprotected 16340's right now so I haven't tried this combo yet. I have tried 2X LiFeP04 though and they work the same as primaries(runtime aside of course).

Yeah, I hear it's about 500-600 lumens. I wouldn't say dim but, there is a noticeable difference if you look for it. There are comparison pics in the Tactician thread that show the difference well.

Yep, no difference in output judging by the runtime/output graphs I have seen. I only have flat top unprotected 16340's right now so I haven't tried this combo yet. I have tried 2X LiFeP04 though and they work the same as primaries(runtime aside of course).
    I tested it with a bunch of batteries. Did testing on my EDCL1T, Tactician and Fury DFT. In my local park.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy22Aus View Post
    I tested it with a bunch of batteries. Did testing on my EDCL1T, Tactician and Fury DFT. In my local park.
    Nice pics👍. It's always fun comparing eh. I was just playing with my EDCL1-T in a giant industrial warehouse(didn't bring the Tactician). I am really liking the beam profile. I am glad I went with the EDCL1-T vs the EDCL2-T as it is already a large light and it is plenty bright enough for handgun ranges(more then enough for most situations). I do prefer the Tactician's MV beam for tighter indoor areas though as it's beam is much more even and the brighter spill helps with situational awareness in close quarters.

How do you like the DFT?

Nice pics. It's always fun comparing eh. I was just playing with my EDCL1-T in a giant industrial warehouse(didn't bring the Tactician). I am really liking the beam profile. I am glad I went with the EDCL1-T vs the EDCL2-T as it is already a large light and it is plenty bright enough for handgun ranges(more then enough for most situations). I do prefer the Tactician's MV beam for tighter indoor areas though as it's beam is much more even and the brighter spill helps with situational awareness in close quarters.

How do you like the DFT?
    Yeah I tested it in a far Park because of the dense trees and open playing fields, I can test the beam profile and potentially candela be lumens, in thick forest the Tactician gives way better viewing but you really struggle to get clear vision beyond that 30 meter mark as it lights up the trees infront if you so well itís hard to see further down.

The EDCL1T gives nice throw but itís very narrow and the spill is weak in the same thick scrub it really doesnít give you a smooth beam for anything upclose.

The DFT with that REF reflector is a dream, itís like having the best of both, awesome useable spill ( very clean ) with a good penetrating hot spot almost a very clear white, EDCL1T is more green.

Also the DFT really was great as lighting up things at distance, seemed fine around 200 meters. Not the best thrower but considering the beam profile itís nice. If Cloud Defensive make the OWL in a handheld Iíd use that.. 50,000 candela is pretty impressive.. DFT is around 22.5k

Oh the weekend Iíll do beam shots again.
    Last edited by jimmy22Aus; 01-13-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Got my first Peak this year. Very impressive. Really like copper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123