Beginner photography: What DSLR camera to buy? Anyone selling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutani

Banned
Hey there

not sure if anyone on here is into photography but Ive recently been given a voucher for course. I'm searching round, but dont want to spend a fortune on something that may just be a fad.

Any models I should be looking out for or avoiding?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Cheers

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Having once been an avid nature photographer before being forced to give up the hobby and sell my equipment, I can tell you I did a lot of research about what to buy during the time I participated in the hobby. I don't know much about the latest DSLR's, but I can give you my opinion, for what it's worth. My opinion is that the way to purchase quality photo equipment without regret is to figure out which lenses you want to use and then buy into the camera system that uses those lenses.

If you want to shoot fast-moving subjects, or in low light, for example, you will need fast lenses. Those are complex and relatively expensive. When I was shooting, Canon and Nikon full-size DSLR's were the choice of almost all serious photographers. Now there are 4/3 system cameras and lenses, which are smaller/lighter. And several companies make good 4/3 system cameras. I would figure out which systems of cameras and lenses will do what you need to do, and compare reviews. See Photo.net and review websites. Find out which cameras and lenses are used by people who shoot what you want to shoot and do it well. Then figure your budget and get the best equipment you can that does very well what you want to do.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I had about 8 different Canon DSLR cameras since 2005 or so. Buy, sell, buy, sell...stepping stone style. DON'T DO IT! Trust me. Just be patient and save the cash if you must. Go big. I don't mean drop $4000 if $1000 will do. I'm just saying, compare the models you think you want and shoot high. Or buy with paypal credit and get 6 months 0% interest or whatever it takes. That is, if you're in this for the long haul. If you're not sure, then I guess a cheap-ish used camera from ebay could get you started.

Nikon vs. Canon is pretty rough, but I feel Canon has the edge so I went with them and stuck with it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

MeMeMe

Banned
Hey there

not sure if anyone on here is into photography but Ive recently been given a voucher for course. I'm searching round, but dont want to spend a fortune on something that may just be a fad.

Any models I should be looking out for or avoiding?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Cheers

It's like people read your post and didn't even try to understand it!

There is an old adage. Great photographers take great pictures even with poor cameras. Bad photographers take bad pictures with the best gear.

If your subject is not moving very fast, is very dark, or is far away ... then almost any modern SLR (or mirrorless) is capable of taking stunning pictures. The more money you spend, the better you are able to take pictures in fringe conditions. You are not there yet .... you don't even know if you will enjoy the effort to get those pictures.

2nd adage .... the best camera is the one you have with you. Sure those full-frame cameras with their big lenses can take the best "technical" pictures. I don't use my full-frame nearly as much as my APS (smaller sensor) DSLR camera. It's half the weight, and when you are hauling one around all day, especially hiking, that makes a big difference. I am seriously considering selling it and buying a mirrorless camera for even more size and weight reduction.

Realistically you can't go very wrong with any SLR/mirrorless made in the last 3 years from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax or even Olympus. Canon, Nikon and Sony are the most popular ... which is nice because you can pick up good used lenses for 1/2 the price of new ones ... usually sold by people buying better lenses thinking it will make them a better photographer .... but they just end up taking sharper bad pictures :)

Sort of the standard "starter" DSLR has been the most recent bottom end of the Nikon or Canon range. Canon's bottom end is more bottom end than Nikon's in terms of image quality. Lenses are pretty similar and features are as well. My personal preference is Nikon's low end for a variety of reasons which I won't list or this thread will never end.

But .... as someone starting out, size of the package really is critical. Too big and you will rarely use it. Everyone has their pain threshold. It is definitely worth checking out the latest Sony and Canon mirrorless APS-C cameras ... very good image quality, excellent auto-focus, excellent video features, and small. You may want to even look at 4/3". You take an image quality hit compared to APC-C, but it's way better than your cell phone.

One thing about Sony and Canon, their video features tend to be better than Nikon. That may matter to you ... it may not.

If I was hooking someone up with their first SLR, and knew nothing about them, and had a reasonable (but not big budget) I would probably put them into a Sony/Canon mirrorless .. probably Sony due to a more mature user interface, better auto-focus and a bit better image quality. If they really cared about image quality and had a more limited budget, a bottom end Nikon would be my choice. I would go for a reasonable range Zoom kit lens ...something about 18-140 for APS-C. Enough range for almost every occasion, still pretty good optically.

If you need specifics Nikon D3500, Sony A6000, Canon M6, Canon EOS M100, Canon Rebel SL2, Olympus PEN E-PL9/10

Update: D3500 - 2 lens kit is on at Costco (US) for $499, with a camera bag. That's a lot of camera for $499. I still think most beginners are better served by an all-in-one lens, but the 18-55 on the camera makes for a really light kit. The good thing about spending at this level, with something as well rated/known as this Nikon (and especially on sale), is if 6 months later you find it is not for you, you can resell it and only be out $150 (or so). Don't wait too long to make up your mind though.

Don't get too hung up on megapixels. All modern SLRs have enough. Unless you are spending large money on lenses (with some exceptions), most lenses cannot extract the full resolution of the sensor. Pretty much any modern SLR with suitable shooting conditions (mainly enough light) can take a picture that can be blown up to 24*36" (or more).

Update: LAST ADAGE -- For 90% of photographers, a $100 course will improve their photos 10x more than a $1000 in equipment.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

That's a VERY general wide statement, regarding a very wide topic. No one is a mind reader. Personally I think we're off to a good start here for the OP.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could check out Ken Rockwell's website for tips and suggestions regarding equipment. (Rockwell even recommends a flashlight to keep in the camera bag. His choice: the Lumintop Tool.)

markr6

Flashaholic
(Rockwell even recommends a flashlight to keep in the camera bag. His choice: the Lumintop Tool.)

I'm sure he'd hate the updated Tool 2.0. It has memory mode, so you can be blinded. Terrible flashlight due to the new UI. But yeah, Ken is great and I trust his reviews.

mightysparrow

Enlightened

No, actually it's not like that. And you violated the CPF rules with that comment.

There is a lot of used equipment for sale out there that can be a real bargain for a beginner who does not want to commit a lot of money to photography right away. A web search will yield the places to shop for used equipment if local sources are not available. Of course online purchases of used equipment are risky, as many sellers are less than 100% honest about the equipment they are selling. For that reason, local ads and swap meets can allow for inspection of the equipment and a more satisfying buying experience. I sold my equipment on Photo.net because I knew that the forum members would appreciate the equipment I was selling, and also that buyers searching the For Sale ads there would be aware that I had to be concerned about my status and reputation as a member of the online community.

MeMeMe

Banned
No, actually it's not like that. And you violated the CPF rules with that comment.

Oh no, I am shaking in my boots! Whatever will I do???

No, it was pretty much like that. Person who has a course coupon, says they don't want to spend a lot since they have no clue whether they will stick to it .... gets told ... to spend a lot of money essentially.

You will note that I specifically mentioned certain brands for the ability to pick up good used lenses at 1/2 the price of new?

Cameras have been somewhat stable, with the exception of video specs, the last 3 years. There are incremental improvements and the media goes gaga over the latest Nikon, Sony, Canon and how its the best camera ever made, but the raw technical performance against the best models from 3 years ago is somewhat small. Heck, even 6 year old Nikons are image quality wise almost indistinguishable from the best models available today.

If you don't know specific camera models, what to look for/evaluate in person, etc. then buying a used camera is a dicey proposition and the savings are not as big as one would expect with the popular low ends of Nikon/Canon with associated lenses ... for which you are also giving up a warranty.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omd e-m5 olympus is a 4/3 camera very compact and inexpensive but has top notch controls for very imaginative manipulation

Mutani

Banned
I have been hesitating these days, until today I decided to choose Nikon digital SLR camera series. I hesitate in the following cameras. Which one do you think is better?

... link removed ...

Last edited by a moderator:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Oh no, I am shaking in my boots! Whatever will I do???

No, it was pretty much like that. Person who has a course coupon, says they don't want to spend a lot since they have no clue whether they will stick to it .... gets told ... to spend a lot of money essentially.

You will note that I specifically mentioned certain brands for the ability to pick up good used lenses at 1/2 the price of new?

Cameras have been somewhat stable, with the exception of video specs, the last 3 years. There are incremental improvements and the media goes gaga over the latest Nikon, Sony, Canon and how its the best camera ever made, but the raw technical performance against the best models from 3 years ago is somewhat small. Heck, even 6 year old Nikons are image quality wise almost indistinguishable from the best models available today.

If you don't know specific camera models, what to look for/evaluate in person, etc. then buying a used camera is a dicey proposition and the savings are not as big as one would expect with the popular low ends of Nikon/Canon with associated lenses ... for which you are also giving up a warranty.

i can't imagine your motivation for lying about what I and others have posted. In any case, your contempt for the forum rules and for courtesy are noted. As for your opinions about the topic at hand, you are entitled to believe what you want to believe. We are entitled in this forum to voice our own opinions without being subjected to childish abuse that has nothing to do with what we actually typed.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I have been hesitating these days, until today I decided to choose Nikon digital SLR camera series. I hesitate in the following cameras. Which one do you think is better? ....

I'd recommend starting with a used copy of Nikon's upper entry level D5x00 series; the recent D5500 with its kit 18-55mm lens has lots of current features for an enthusiast camera, but would only cost ~$400. This will give you a good idea of where you want to go with your photography hobby, and you're only out ~$400 if you decide it's not for you, plus it's a recent camera with good resale value if you decide to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.