No lens when using a Malkoff M60F in a MD2 ?

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
I have just purchased off e-bay a really nice Camouflage Malkoff MD2 which is fitted with a M60F module (number X0315083). There is no lens fitted in the head. I just wanted to ask if there should be a lens fitted or not?
It is not a problem either way as I have a couple of spare lenses in a Malkoff order that is awaiting customs clearance.
This is the module that has a honeycomb front to it. Not like a Malkoff M61 with the recess and the led emitter sat in the bottom of the cone.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better to put (IMHO). I had an M60F module, water can penetrate it through the white gaps in the lens holder, I don't think it will disable the module, considering how it was soaked in this video

better to have a reserve of protection

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 modules were fitted with a snap-in optic that does not require an additional external lens. As long as you're using the 16.5mm MDX head, which is most likely the case with the camouflage version, then you just need an o-ring between the lens and the bezel.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Definitely no lens needed (just a flat o-ring). If you want to protect the lens of the module, keep in mind the Malkoff lenses are designed to drop into the lip of the reflector on Mx1 series lights, so it is smaller than the total diameter of the drop-in. If you wish to add one, you might need to go a little bigger.

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the most helpful feedback. This Camo MD2 (no. 2720) was apparently made around 2011-2012.
I have no intention of using it as I will soon have 3 other Malkoffs, in my collection. Currently I own a new MD2 Hot. There is another MD2, plus spare MDX head sitting in customs and I have a spare MD3 body coming too.
I will just leave this camo MD2 in safe storage and play with it now and then.

Last edited:

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Thank you for the most helpful feedback. This Camo MD2 (no. 2720) was apparently made around 2011-2012.
I have no intention of using it as I will soon have 3 other Malkoffs, in my collection. Currently I own a new MD2 Hot. There is another MD2, plus spare MDX head sitting in customs and I have a spare MD3 body coming too.
I will just leave this camo MD2 in safe storage and play with it now and then.

That sounds about right. I have two different versions of the camo MD2 at home. One has the earlier (Judco?) switch and the other has the one-piece McClicky tail (I'm not sure if the camo was ever offered in the current MD2 tail). The colors are slightly different from each other.

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh Ok..... When I find products I like I tend to buy multiples and keep one or two as spares / "Safe Queens". For example I have plenty of Leatherman's. Three of my Waves are users while the others, Texas Tool Crafters Custom editions are "Safe Queens"... Same goes for my knives... the majority aren't ever used but kept as collectables.
Having said that I EDC'd a $1000 Greg Lightfoot Custom Folder for a number of years before I became concerned about being searched on the local trains.