More love for the Fenix E15?!?

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
I haven't seen a lot of discussion on this forum regarding the Fenix E15, which I consider to be an outstanding everyday light, and by far my favorite light (as far as size, practicality, usefulness, output,etc.) It surprises me, because after using it for 2 years, I can clearly state it's an incredible light. Why aren't there more fans on this forum do you think?

I don't have a lot of high end lights (nothing over $70), but I certainly look, read, and research. The only light I really would want would be the Thrunite TN40S. It seems to have the best of everything regarding output, but I can't justify it since it's too big to ever really have a need for it in my situation.

If anyone has an E15 and loves it (or doesn't) or can contribute as to why it's not a highly loved light (as I think it should,) please post. By the way, I paid $30 for the light, a cr123, a Fenix 16340, and an intellicharger (I think.) I liked it so much that when the deal came back I bought another. I truly enjoy flashlights, but this flashlight seems to cover all of my needs. I suppose any other light would be a want. To me, this light is That good!

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
Bird09, as you have state the most important thing is your Fenix E15 covers all your needs and you are satisfied with it enough to buy another.

I am new to CLF and I suspect there are not as much postings/discussion on the Fenix E15 because of its size. I am shopping for similar small-form factor CR123-powered EDC LED and do not find too many reviews for this form factor (when compared to say 3 inch and longer LED lights). I realized the limitations of running such lights on highest brightness from their form factor. I plan on almost exclusively using the <20 lumen modes. So thank you Bird09 for making me aware of the Fenix E15 (and newest model appears to be E16).

Also having been on CLF for past few weeks, I see more discussion on lights that are cost more (similar observation I see for other enthusiast forum); nothing wrong with this.

I would be curious what are long standing members of CLF opinions.

Last edited:

cp2315

Enlightened
I have E15 but never really liked it. I am not a fan of twistie. The tint is quite green. And I don't like the very large spot, which is maybe a plus for some. I do not like Olight S1 either because of the similar beam.
Anyway, it is great that you like your light, which is the only thing that counts. Have fun!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have an older model and it's the best key chain light I have had.i need to get another one however as I messed the threads up and doesn't work as intended. But ya the beam and throw is great.

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
I have E15 but never really liked it. I am not a fan of twistie. The tint is quite green. And I don't like the very large spot, which is maybe a plus for some. I do not like Olight S1 either because of the similar beam.
Anyway, it is great that you like your light, which is the only thing that counts. Have fun!

I see, all good reasons based on personal preference. I guess I'm unique in liking the twisty. I'm no pro at analyzing tint, but for the most part they look good to my eyes. I'm indifferent about the spot, seems like it's partial flood and partial throw, which to me is good. Yep, it's definitely my thing!

thermal guy- You might want to try the 2016 version. It really does seem to have it all, given its size and price tag.

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened
The E15 is my favorite EDC light. Better than the newer E16 that overheats and flickers on turbo. The beam profile on the E15 is also very nice...the 450 lumens are put to good use here. I'm also a fan of the twisty.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't like buttons on my keychain lights. Just one more this that can go wrong

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
The E15 is my favorite EDC light. Better than the newer E16 that overheats and flickers on turbo. The beam profile on the E15 is also very nice...the 450 lumens are put to good use here. I'm also a fan of the twisty.

I'm glad to see someone likeminded with regards to this EDC light. It really does put out a lot of light. It just happens to be minuscule. I prefer twistys for small lights. I looked at Fenix's offerings recently and it looks like they're having serious issues with the E16. For the fairly minimal gain in output, the issues it has are not worth it to me.

Agreed, thermal guy, I'll take the twisty!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna go revisit the E15. Almost bought it at least 3times!

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both versions and agree it is a whole lot of great EDC in a tiny package and also built to last as most Fenix seem to be too!

I carried one and then the other up until the 4Sevens Mini was released.
The Mini is almost an Olight S-Mini but a Twisty and not a Clicky which I also prefer on the Keychain.

But the Mini has an actual moonlight low mode too which is probably my most used mode overall and for some reason Fenix just will not throw in the low mode which has become a staple of the Flashlight world for me?

The Mini also has an interchangeable Clip/Keychain loop part that is Genius really and is the only removable clip that I have not had come off on its own somehow and I like having the option of Clip or Keychain too.

I still use the E15s and one is clipped inside each of my EDC Backpacks as an always there light that I know I can count on.

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you about the moonlight mode and would say that's the only thing I would have liked. Fenix really should add it.

The mini looks like an excellent flashlight, though it appears to be double the price. At $30, it's hard to top the E15 for what it is and does.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loved the 123 twisty lights
When I lost my e15, I immediately got another and a jet iimk - love them both equally

Wish the e15 had a glass lens though

Bird09

Newly Enlightened
For anyone who is on the fence, you may want to get the E15 while you still can. It's been discontinued as per Fenix in favor of the E16 and E18, both of which I've heard there are potential problems with. Anyway, Fenix-store is out of stock and no longer lists the E15, but Amazon still has them if you want them.

striegel

Newly Enlightened
Happy with my change to E16

The E15 used to be my EDC, but it got to be annoying that the twist cap either kept coming off in my pocket or turned itself on and used up the battery (as well as heating my leg). It was almost always a 2-handed operation. This problem grew worse the longer I owned it so I was happy to change it out for the E16.

The light outputs are very different - my preference is for the cooler color of the E15, but the E16 isn't bad. I also am really happy with the mode memory of the E16 with its side switch.

earthlight

Newly Enlightened
Re: Happy with my change to E16

Today I took delivery of the E15 (the 2016 edition, unboxed). I am SO happy I managed to find one. I have been EDCing a Fenix AA twisty for good many years in my keychain and wanted another reliable no-fuss twisty based on li-ion chemistry.

This one seems to fit the bill. For its age, it is a decent performer. Puts out a lot of light. Will be interesting to compare with my equally new Fenix LD15R and the Olight S2R II (which of course is in another category per se).

The tint is okay. Not as pleasing as the remarkably nice LD15R but I can totally live with it. Will do more comparisons in the coming days. Seems to have some green hue in the spill but the spot is, as judged by the naked eye, quite okay. The spot is also rather concentrated, making this little gem actually somewhat throwy if you ask me. :D

PartyPete

Enlightened

Today I took delivery of the E15 (the 2016 edition, unboxed). I am SO happy I managed to find one. I have been EDCing a Fenix AA twisty for good many years in my keychain and wanted another reliable no-fuss twisty based on li-ion chemistry.

This one seems to fit the bill. For its age, it is a decent performer. Puts out a lot of light. Will be interesting to compare with my equally new Fenix LD15R and the Olight S2R II (which of course is in another category per se).

The tint is okay. Not as pleasing as the remarkably nice LD15R but I can totally live with it. Will do more comparisons in the coming days. Seems to have some green hue in the spill but the spot is, as judged by the naked eye, quite okay. The spot is also rather concentrated, making this little gem actually somewhat throwy if you ask me. :D
Glad you like it.

It definitely seems like a viable keychain light. IMO, if it's a light that truly lives on your keys it's gotta be a twisty. I've tried several side switch type lights and they all inevitably turn on in your pocket.

May not be an issue for all but some days my keys are in my pocket for the major of the day while working.

earthlight

Newly Enlightened

Glad you like it.

It definitely seems like a viable keychain light. IMO, if it's a light that truly lives on your keys it's gotta be a twisty. I've tried several side switch type lights and they all inevitably turn on in your pocket.

May not be an issue for all but some days my keys are in my pocket for the major of the day while working.

Indeed - at this point I did not even consider anything else than a twisty. The old Fenix is super beat up but still works perfectly. The threads are silky smooth and it will see a lot of use even after retirement from the daily grind.

I must admit it was a little difficult to attach the new E15 to the keychain seeing it will soon start to look like a beater. But such is the life of a keychain daily. I hope the new one lasts as long as the old one did. :)