Olight S1R II Ti/Cu - They really knocked it out of the ballpark with this quintet!

ipaulr

Newly Enlightened
I love small, powerful, hi-tech, beautifully designed and made flashlights (like so many of us). Here's what I love about these 5:

1. Knurling is high and very well done. Beautiful.
  2. Magnetic base charger is awesome and quick.
  3. Beautiful beam, with a very good throw as well as brightness. Normally I like cool white beams, say 6500K. But with these, I even like the 3000K warm beam of Winter.
  4. Very small, vest pocketable, lights with very bright and throwy beams.
  5. Blue bezel is lovely. The finish and color of all 5 are 1st rate.
  6. UI is one of my very favorites. Double click to go right to 1K LU. Long hold to go to moonlight. Smooth ramp down on turning off (really cool!). Quick on and off.
  7. Charge-level light in button. Quick to charge.
  8. Easy to use mode button. So easy to press and click.
  9. The Cu version is especially gorgeous, as they tend to be. It's UNC (uncirculated, to coin collectors) in its delivered, sealed, deoxygenizing package. I haven't been able to bring myself to open its packaging yet. I'll save it like a fine vintage wine, for that special occasion.... But soon....
  10. These far surpassed my expectations. I love all 5 versions, even Winter.
  11. Getting the full set at 30% of was really nice too.

I've asked Olight if the clips can be safely removed, without damaging the light's surface underneath them. The clips seem to have enough play to be removed by pulling. The clips are actually nice, and make it easy to find the mode button just by feel, but I don't think I really need them, although I'm undecided as yet.

fyrstormer

Banned
I prefer the S1, even though it isn't available with as many cool finishes, specifically because of the clip design. I don't particularly like clips on lights this small, so I remove them, but the S1R II's design leaves an obvious empty spot when the clip is removed. The old design didn't have that, and was therefore superior in my opinion.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Olight set the bar high years ago when they released the S1 baton in copper. Its great too see them years later still do copper and other limited editions of their smaller lights, same as with the i3t copper, great light. Thats why other makers copy their light design and not the other way around. I wish more would make lights in different materials and tints, the regular black lights are boring too see. Time for some new innovation next year i hope.

fyrstormer

Banned
The reason for all the black-dyed anodized-aluminum lights is black dye hides anodizing inconsistencies very effectively. It's cheap and easy to produce in high quality, just like the Ford Model T.

I agree it's not my favorite finish, though. I much prefer raw finishes, but that requires a base metal with sufficient hardness that it doesn't need a coating, like steel or titanium. Naturally those cost a lot more.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
I'll be honest I'm kinda bummed that the titanium (Winter) is less bright does titanium disperse heat less efficiently than brass or copper? I'm not really a fan of the copper or brass look so I may end up going with an aluminum unit :(

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
ipaulr,
To remove the clips without marring the finish, I use a plastic straw & push it over each side of the clip as far as it can go. When the clip is then removed the plastic prevents the tension arms from scratching the surface. Over the years it has been very effective. Just reverse the process to put the clip back in place without damage.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight S1R II Ti/Cu - They really knocked it out of the ballpark with this qu...

bartonjd, did you get the warm or neutral LED with your titanium light? Both have noticeably less Lumens than the cool white LED, but a much better color rendition. Often I will buy two titanium lights, one neutral & one cool. Titanium does not dissipate heat near as well as copper, but in my smaller lights(16340 as compared to an 18650 cell), I cannot distinguish a difference in Lumens if both have same Led.

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
Olight S1R II Ti/Cu - They really knocked it out of the ballpark with this qu...

I actually have not purchased one yet I've been trying to decide which one to yet, I love the look of the winter and the 10th sounds fun but I've been unsure because the brightness is lower than the others and except for The 1.5 M of turbo.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I'll be honest I'm kinda bummed that the titanium (Winter) is less bright does titanium disperse heat less efficiently than brass or copper? I'm not really a fan of the copper or brass look so I may end up going with an aluminum unit :(
Titanium conducts heat surprisingly poorly for a metal, but it's not bad enough to risk damaging any flashlight with a sane level of output.

However, all of the "Seasons" S1R IIs are made of titanium; the only difference is the coating. The reason the "Winter" version is less-bright is because it has a warm emitter. White LEDs are just blue LEDs with phosphor coatings, so warm LEDs require thicker phosphor coatings to ensure more of the original blue light is downconverted to warmer colors.

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened

Deleted

Last edited:

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The Winter edition is nice, but the warm is VERY orange, just FYI. The clip is also somewhat of a pain to keep bent away while unscrewing the battery compartment. Not that big a deal since the light has onboard charging, but something of a design oversight.

Last edited:

bartonjd

Newly Enlightened
The Winter edition is nice, but the warm is VERY orange, just FYI. The clip is also somewhat of a pain to keep bent away while unscrewing the battery compartment. Not that big a deal since the light has onboard charging, but something of a design oversight.

Despite how warm the light is are you happy with it? Would you prefer one of the other editions? Do you have any beam shots?

I just ordered the Winter and Autumn. Looking forward to seeing them in person. Wanted to check out warm and neutral light color, plus liked the finish on those two the best. Did not want cool white LED so did not get copper. But did grab a copper I3T because it is so awesome I don't care what color the LED is.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my "Infinity" S1r II and I love it! I have a lot of duplication between the S-Mini/S/Sr/I/2/3 versions by Olight and my MK II Four Sevens, so I have side switch and twist UI's in every temp range well covered....

Latest posts