Waterproof cell phones?

StuGatz

Enlightened
Anyone who knows me KNOWS that I can be hard on gear. That said, and since I have not experienced any recent unexpected H2O immersions, decided to put an ALLEGED water resistant cell phone to a TIP (Test In Progress) and well... :duh2:

Anyone else have an EXPERIENCE with waterproof / water resistant cell phones, smart phones, SAT phones?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's more fun if you put the phone into a pool or aquarium and take pictures/video that way :)

I take things a bit farther; Planes of Fame '17, water running off my hat with lightning nearby:
34484348766_5bce33d9ef_o.jpg

..the camera shrugs it off, carries on without skipping a beat:
33714659193_8ab640409d_o.jpg

adnj

Enlightened
Water resistance (IP68) is definitely a plus for me. More than a couple of times I have had my phone get wet while it was raining heavily. I have also seen the occasional water spill where the phone was immersed.

I usually just blow in the ports, wipe it off and keep using it.

I doubt that a drop into the deep end of a pool would work out well, though.

StuGatz

Enlightened
It's more fun if you put the phone into a pool or aquarium and take pictures/video that way :)

I take things a bit farther; Planes of Fame '17, water running off my hat with lightning nearby:

..the camera shrugs it off, carries on without skipping a beat:
33714659193_8ab640409d_o.jpg

GREAT shot there. Would have truly enjoyed that trio fly-by in person. :thumbsup:

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I have been successfully using Lifeproof cases for my iPhones for the past 6+ years or so... I treat them as being water *resistant* - making it OK to use my phone in the rain, protect it from drops on the ground or in a puddle, etc. I occasionally wash my phone with soap and warm water, but only after carefully checking the seals on the openings for headphones and charging cable.

I think it's inviting trouble to purposely immerse a daily-use case such as Lifeproof to any significant depth. Marketing claims aside, folks who insist on taking their phones into the water while swimming should IMHO buy an explicitly waterproof case, or a dedicated waterproof camera. I don't have experience with either of those products, as they can be expensive, and I have no real use for them.

If I'm going canoeing/boating, I'll usually bring a small Plano or Pelican-type box with me for my wallet, phone, and car keys. This is way cheaper and more appropriate to my needs than buying purpose-designed waterproof gear.

markr6

Flashaholic
Just a quick story. My son threw my wife's iPhone 6 in the toilet recently and she was quick getting it out. Maybe <2 seconds totally submerged. Works fine, smells like poo. (just kidding)

I'm not saying I would ever count on it, though. I've been lucky having never dropped mine in a lake or stream with all the outdoors stuff I do. BTW, I don't do massive ugly cases.