Where did the 1xAA lights go?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can easily find 1AAA, 2AAA, 3AAA, 2AA, 3AA, and even 4AA lights in local stores, but no 1AA.

I get that the 1AA light doesn't have the novelty size of the 1AAA, but it's not so big as to be in the same size category as the 2AA and 3AAA, is it?

--flatline

fyrstormer

Banned
They are simultaneously larger and less powerful than CR123-powered lights, so there is no pragmatic advantage to owning them. (some people might prefer the slightly different shape, but there's no accounting for personal preference.) It isn't even reasonable to claim that they are better in emergencies due to availability of AA batteries, because AAA batteries can always be found when AA batteries are available. In fact, AAA flashlights might be better in emergencies because AAs will probably be in higher demand for other devices.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have them all,at least in the Midwest including Tenn. and N. Georgia.

Sorry its not personal:eek:

ironhorse

Enlightened
I have 2. Quark Pro QPA, no longer available, but supposed to be a similar light coming, and the Manker E03H, (angle light, but actually pretty decent light.

Sos24

Enlightened
It seems they just aren't very popular right now.

It seems the 3AAA are the most popular now in big box stores. I'm not sure why but just seems to be the case.

As far as tactical type stores it seems the CR123 or 18500 are the more popular because they can put out more brightness for the size.

I currently prefer the CR123, because of the available brightness for size. I do still have a few 1AA that I keep around because AA are just so much more readily available day to day.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the Pelican 2350. Gen 1 was a 100 lumen spot beam similar to a SureFire EB1c. High/Lo/Strobe (or something).

Gen 2 touts 175 lumens spread out. It can be programmed also.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The O.P. referred to Stores selling the lights and it is almost hard to remember any stores selling quality lights at all anymore for the most part.

Fenix, Olight, Streamlight and Coast all sell 1aa lights and some better stores will sell these but overall mostly there are just cheapo lights in the mass market in all formats.

Bass Pro/Cabelas, Academy Sports and ****'s around here each sell one or more of the real brands we are used to here but for any real selection we have to order online.

I am lucky in that there is a pretty major online retailer local to me and they are well stocked a lot of the time and I was thinking of going over there Today until I looked for a few lights that they were out of stock on......luckily!

But overall I think it makes sense to research it here and order online and see what happens.
There are a lot of great lights available these days!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems the 3AAA are the most popular now in big box stores. I'm not sure why but just seems to be the case.
That's because they are cheap. Unless the description contains the word 'regulated', they are direct drive, with all that implies. Since most shoppers at the big box stores are uneducated as for as good lights go, They just look at the price. I will never buy a three AAA/AA/C/D cell light unless it explicitly states that it is regulated, and even then probably not.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop recently released the Tool AA ver 2.0. At $19.95 it is a reasonable good deal. One of the things that makes it attractive is that it is dual fuel, AA/14500. Of course, the two brightest modes aren't available when using an AA cell, but it still is plenty bright. During this holiday season I have seen prices of $12 to $13 on sale, so shop around.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Single AA is probably my favourite form. Small enough for house duty. Powerful enough for hiking with an extra battery or a small brick of 4. I hated carrying 3xaaa as a backup.

phosphor22

Enlightened
I love AA lights and AA eneloops to go in them 🙂
My favorite around the house light is Reylight LAN V3 -- 4 modes, trits if you want, Nichia 219 4000K, and the low mode is just a tiny bit higher than V2 or V1 and is perfect.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
REI is the only place that sells a good AA light that I've seen recently and that's the Fenix E12. I've had a few and gifted a couple but always end up grabbing another. Fantastic and very simple 3 mode reverse clicky light. Also the Fenix LD11 is a great light that has been discontinued but you can still find a few places. Not a fan of the 3xAAA lights at HD and Lowes and such.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are simultaneously larger and less powerful than CR123-powered lights, so there is no pragmatic advantage to owning them. (some people might prefer the slightly different shape, but there's no accounting for personal preference.)

The general public is still largely unaware of CR123A cells, so this doesn't seem like the full explanation to me. I also think that non-enthusiasts are unlikely to invest in the li-ion platform, yet I know lots of people who use NiMh AA and AAA cells. A 1xAA light fits nicely into their existing platform.

I've seen 2xCR123A lights for sale in these stores, but never a 1xCR123A, so as far as the general public is concerned, CR123A lights have no size advantage over a 1xAA.

It isn't even reasonable to claim that they are better in emergencies due to availability of AA batteries, because AAA batteries can always be found when AA batteries are available. In fact, AAA flashlights might be better in emergencies because AAs will probably be in higher demand for other devices.

I think that it is reasonable to claim that 1xAA is a better format for scavenged batteries than 1xAAA for the following reasons:
1. AA has 3x the capacity than the AAA, so unless you're more than 3x as likely to find AAA cells than AA you will still come out ahead energy-wise with AA. Similarly, you can go 3x as long before you need to start looking for scavenged cells.
2. AA lights can use any AAA cells you find, but not the other way around
3. AA lights are easier to keep track of (AAA lights are so small that they tend to disappear with alarming ease)

But really, I just happen to prefer 1xAA since it falls in a convenient sweet spot that no other battery format does:
1. large enough to handle easily with gloves (AAA fails, 1xCR123A often fails)
2. small enough for easy pocket carry (3xAAA fails, 2xCR123A often fails, 2xAA often fails)
3. light enough for holding in mouth when necessary (2xCR123A fails, 2xAA fails, 3xAAA fails)
4. commonly available battery (CR123A fails)
5. commonly available rechargeable battery (CR123A fails)
6. battery commonly used by other electronics (CR123A fails)
7. enough capacity to prevent constant worrying about capacity (AAA fails)
8. no worry about matching cells (all multi-cell formats fail)

I understand that not everyone cares about these things, but I did, in fact, assume that there were others who valued 1xAA for similar reasons.

--flatline

BrisketBBQ

Newly Enlightened
As in many things flashlight, Malkoff. MDC HA 1AA paired with a GEC Bull Nose or MDC HA TAC 1CR123 paired with a Spyderco PM2 as my daily carry.
KnivesRandom5.jpg

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
I think the olight s1a has been discontinued. I'm sure some are still available but its not on thier website anymore and common places to get lights seem to be out of stock. I love my s1a in neutral white. Great light. Although ive been carrying the 1 aaa tool ti most of the time recently I agree that the 1aa format is the best overall edc format all things considered, at least for me. I can find 1aa lights at my local ace hardware (coast), rei as mentioned (e12), cabelas (protac 1l-1aa). In fact I gave my dad an e12 and now he wont go anywhere without it in his pocket and uses it all the time. But for me the cream of the crop for 1aa is zebralight, and the s1a nw of course, which cant be found in stores but even if they could people wouldnt buy them due to price and complexity. Without that price and complextity 1aa doesnt offer the average person anything they cant get with a 1aaa light they can throw in thier pocket if so inclined or other fortmat for the drawer in the kitchen many people keep their lights in. Long as it lights up its usually good enough, hence the precvalence of using cell phones instead anyway. We are a rare breed here.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big box stores have never been fond of selling 1xAA lights, because a 1xAA flashlight with an alkaline battery sucks. Since big box stores only sell flashlights made for alkalines, they have to go to 2xAA to make them bright enough that the public will want them.

Zebralight makes the smallest and brightest 1xAA lights. The SC5w gives you over 500 lumens from a single AA, but you have to power it with a NiMH rechargeable, such as an Eneloop. I think it's my favorite 1xAA light, although the smaller SC53 is a good one too, though about two-thirds as bright. IIRC, you can only buy it on-line; I've certainly never seen them in stores, probably too expensive for big box stores.

There are plenty of Chinese sites that sell 1xAA lights, but they tend to be very cheap and somewhat unreliable.

Basically, if you want 1xAA lights, get them on-line. Don't power them with alkalines; use NiMH rechargeables.