About to give my three boys their first 18650 LED lights

jasonrohrer

Newly Enlightened
My three boys are 8, 10, and 15.

I'm a little late for the oldest, and a little early for the youngest, but I'm getting them each a "real" flashlight this year.

I spent way too long on research last week, and here's what I ended up with:

ThruNite TN12 Neutral White for my 8-y-o
Olight M2T Warrior for my 10-y-o
ArmyTek Partner C2 Pro Warm for my 15-y-o.

I needed different lights for each so they could tell them apart, and they obviously get a bit more expensive and a bit brighter as they go up in age.

I also got them an Xtar VP4 charger (one to share, for now), and three of these batteries:

https://www.illumn.com/18650-lg-mj1-inr18650-mj1-high-discharge-protected-button-top.html

$270 all told.

Most of this stuff has arrived already, so it's too late for you to tell me that I made bad choices. But I'm pretty new to this world, and so are they, so I'm looking for any advice as we get started.

Our brightest flashlight in the house is currently a 2AA LED Mini Mag-Light. Amazing build quality, but poor performance (PWM kicks in when batteries get slightly low) and poor reliability (sometimes it just won't turn on, or flickers... uggg). Despite my disappointment with it, it still feels simple enough to last forever. I still have an incandescent Mini Mag from 1992 that works great (albeit dimly) after 26 years. Heck, it's not just Mag-Light. My grandfather had some simple slide-switch flashlights that must have been half a century old. There's pretty much nothing to break.

So, my main concern with these super-bright, hot-running, multi-function Chinese lights is long-term reliability.
They will make pretty crappy gifts if they die in a year or two...

Anyway, we were out walking last night with the LED mini-mag, and my 10-y-o was having fun shining it up to the tree tops. "Look how bright it is!" he kept saying. I smiled as I thought to myself, "You ain't seen nothing yet, kid."

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Jason, and welcome CPF : )

I'm not familiar with any of the lights you got, but I am familiar with the companies and those types of lights, and I'd say you did a fine job of picking out 3 different lights for your boys. I was happy to see you got protected 18650 cells as well, and a decent charger. Well done so far!

As to how they will last, most good lights have a warranty, but this is where it's important to purchase your lights from a respected dealer, as they will often be the ones who can help you if these is a problem with a light. The lights you've chosen are all good quality lights, so you're chances are good they will last a long time.

Oh, by the way, have you checked to make sure the batteries you bought both fit and work in the lights you got. If not, it would be a good idea to check that. The protection circuit is an add-on which adds both length and width to the cell.

The main thing I like to stress with folks who are new to using high power flashlights with those high powered lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, is to absolutely spend the small amount of time required to learn how to handle, use, and charge those high powered rechargeable batteries safely.

Many of the folks here on CPF really like those lithium-ion rechargeable cells (myself included), because they pack a LOT of power into a small space and allow us to run our lights both at high output levels (bright) AND for a long time, however, the flipside of having all that power in such a small space is that it opens up the potential for some dangerous situations if not handled with care.

8 years old might be a little young for that type of responsibility, but after you've learned all you can about handling and charging those cells, you'll be in a better position to make that call yourself.

I will say this, I do tend to be a bit overly cautious about safety when using these cells, but seriously, I feel that by simply following a few simple guidelines when using these cells, more than likely you'll never have any issues, and by spending that time with your boys discussing the safety aspects of handling and use, you'll be starting them out right.

Here is a great place to start learning about all types of batteries:
https://batteryuniversity.com/

However, that's fairly long and detailed, so here are a few general guidelines I follow:
1. Try not to drop cells, handle them gently. It is possible to damage the protection circuit or rupture the internals and render the cell useless.
2. After a few years, when you're done with these cells, please do not dispose of the used cells in the trash. Most fire departments are happy to take them off your hands and dispose of them correctly.
3. Place the charger on a non-combustible surface, a brick, or tile, or piece of steel. This is precautionary in case there is a problem and the cells get hot or rupture. It's not a common occurrence, but why take a chance.
4. Do not leave the cells unattended when charging. Again, precautionary. Cells should not get overly hot when charging.
5. If, while handling a cell (while not in the flashlight or charger, just in your hands), you feel it begin to suddenly get warm, take it out side immediately and place away from other combustible stuff. Stay away for at least 24 hours, then dispose of the cell properly. DO NOT USE.
6. If you have any concerns about whether you've damaged a battery or it's protection circuit, do not use it. Get a new one.

Most flashlights have circuits that provide protection against over discharge or low voltage, and of course the cells you purchased also provide another level of protection, so you're pretty well covered, but again, it simply makes sense to be a bit extra careful when handling and using these high powered cells.

One final point, and by now I must seem like a real ninny, but here goes.... please do remind your boys to NOT look directly into the flashlight beam when the light is on. It really can cause eye damage, so they also need to be careful about where they point them when they are around other people.

Ok, now that we have all that out of the way, I hope you and your boys have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the heck out of your new lights. I hope you'll report back and let us know how things went. Have fun!

P.S. By the way, it's not uncommon to have a few problems with a new flashlight, and it's often caused by dirty contact surfaces from the manufacturing process. It's helpful to understand how the electrical circuit works in these types of lights, and I usually take a new light and clean all those contact surfaces before using the first time.

You can purchase electrical contact cleaner at most electronics shops, but another quick and easy fix that I often use is a Q-tip to which I've applied a bit of rubbing alcohol.

It can be a bit different for different lights, but generally, the main contact points are:
1. Both ends of the battery
2. Positive terminal in the head of the flashlight. When cleaning this terinal, be sure and NOT drip any liquid down into the head where the electronics are. Hold the head UP and place the Q-tip up into the head to clean the terminal.
3. Negative terminal in the tailcap. This is often a spring. Clean where it comes into contact with the negative end of the battery.
4. The rim at the end of the battery tube (where the threads are) that goes down into the tail cap. The end of the battery tube often makes contact with the flat surface down inside the tailcap where the spring is connected. Sometimes that connection (between the battery tube and the tailcap) is made through the threads of the tailcap and the threads of the battery tube, in which case those need to be clean.
5. Make sure the battery is fully charged, assemble the light, tighten all pieces well, and have fun : )

Last edited:

K9Patrol

Newly Enlightened
Pardon me for being frank, but are you out of your mind? There are reasons that these devices are accompanied by statements such as "adult supervision required" and "not a toy". They have the potential to be dangerous, cause harm, or fires. There are plenty of bright enough AA flashlights out there for children.

Yes, I actually had to crawl out of the woodwork to reply to this thread.

Last edited:

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
My kids are 9 and 10, so about the same age as your younger two. They are in the woods at night constantly but I always give them the 'AA' lights out of the junk drawer. My main reason and concern though is that they lose stuff ALL of the time and I just don't want them losing my more expensive Li-Ion based lights.

Derek Dean is spot on with the battery issues. I let my kids loose with eneloops for their lights and other gear to get them used to rechargeables.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know your kids, but I don't think they're so young that they couldn't be trusted with these lights as long as you sit them down and thoroughly explain how they're to be used and, of course, how not to misuse them. And I'm sure you plan to do just that. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I let my kid have one when he was that age.... But he is probably more reasonable than a lot of adults.

Kids used to handle fire arms at that age not that long ago...

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
My kids are 9 and 10, so about the same age as your younger two. They are in the woods at night constantly but I always give them the 'AA' lights out of the junk drawer. My main reason and concern though is that they lose stuff ALL of the time and I just don't want them losing my more expensive Li-Ion based lights.

Derek Dean is spot on with the battery issues. I let my kids loose with eneloops for their lights and other gear to get them used to rechargeables.
Lanyards are wonderful things. Especially ones that fasten to the belt or can be cinched up to the wrist.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Boys, always use protection... at least until you're very comfortable with what you have and understand the dangers.

Also, tritium or GITD fobs can help find the light if dropped in the yard/woods... along with the previously mentioned lanyards.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Jason, you are no doubt a good Dad and you see the importance of you and your boys having a good illumination tool.

I'd return the three lights, it's not too late, and if I were you I'd consider getting them the Eagtac D25A2 which takes 2 AA batteries. Another neat light is Nitecore's MT22A.

The reason is a Lithium Ion battery poses dangers to anyone, if improperly handled, especially if put in contact with water.

The seat of judgment in our brain is the prefrontal cortex and is not fully formed until about age 21-22. If you give them the lights you already purchased, they will naturally want to show them (off?) to their friends and at these ages or all ages, safety is paramount.

I hope you reconsider the 3 lights and substitute AA powered lights for them. When each of your sons turns 21, that might be the perfect time to gift them with an 18650 light.

In short, you can give them a quality light and keep them and their friends entertained and safe at the same time!

Joseph08

Newly Enlightened
... (excessively long re-quote removed) ...

Since your kids are not mature, i won't suggest you to give them very expensive Flashlights. I have a seven year old nephew, i gave him JY-SUPER Flashlight which cost only $5.

Last edited by a moderator:

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldnt sacrifice the safety of my children for the wow factor of having nice lithium ion lights.

My children will use my lights under my supervision and they are taken away once they are done.

Your kids though, just from father to father... that's my advice to you.