To anyone who has an Arc with stripes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will offer a refund to anyone who has received an Arc LSH-S/P/F that has a cosmetic defect on the housing that looks like this:

lshflaw.jpg

These dark stripes usually appear in threes and are most likely caused by slight density changes in the metal bar stock. We did not detect them until after they were plated so we had to pay for them (long story). All of our recent stock looks like this so we cannot replace your unit with one that looks better, we can only refund you your money.

I am providing our FedEx account number: 2580-3856-8

Please use our FedEx number to return the light to us for a refund. I ask that you please not use the most expensive option when shipping. Thanks.

I want to apologize again for not detecting this sooner. I am sure it was detected by our production manager but somehow in all the recent hubub I didn't get the message. It took a CPF'er posting to this forum to get my attention. I have since posted this picture and a warning to the order page so we can notify people before they buy the light.

If you do decide to keep the light anyways, the unit is up to spec in everyway save for the cosmetic apperance of these lines. These lines will not wear any faster or scratch any easier.

We already offer a 30-day refund guarantee but I am modifying it (due to my negligence) by adding the use of the free shipping back to us.

Again, we can only refund your money we do not have any replacement units in stock that do not have these stripes. This is also the last production run of the LSH models.

Peter Gransee (Owner, Arc Flashlight)

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter proves once again that he is committed to the satisfaction of his customers.

I'm keeping mine. A couple of lines are not a big deal, and I am satisfied with the value of what I received for my money. My only real beef was not knowing about them ahead of time.

This is a big mess for Peter, and I feel badly for him. He works very hard making lights for us, and has always been accessable and open to feedback from his customers here at CPF. I would urge everyone to consider just how big of an issue these "marked" Arcs really are before taking Peter up on his offer. This could really hurt Arc.

I would suggest offering a modest discount as an option to a full refund with free shipping. I think many would be interested in this option, and it would not be as damaging to Arc.

Peter

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
Peter,

I want to commend you for taking the high road on this. You're a stand-up guy. I agree with the posters that these stripes do not belong on an expensive light. Having said that, I'm with you regarding functionality being the key factor. If I got a light like that, as an Arc fan, I'd find some way spin it as a cool, exclusive feature in case I were ever asked about the stripes.

As a fellow businessman, you have my sympathies. You probably didn't need this additional headache right now.

This too shall pass........

PS-- I am not (yet) affected by the "Zebra Arc" issue.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Arc with stripes = Collectable Flashlight and the last production run, don't forget it for the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FrenchyLed said:
Arc with stripes = Collectable Flashlight and the last production run, don't forget it for the future /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Just what I was thinking FrenchyLed

nexro

Enlightened
These are indeed collectibles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What does "slight density changes in the metal bar stock" this mean?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
These are indeed collectibles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What does "slight density changes in the metal bar stock" this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

It means you get a "stripe". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Geode

Enlightened
Peter,

This is an amazing gesture, which alone would make me want to keep a striped Arc, if I had one. Right now, I have several Arcs that I am more than happy with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
An amazing and honest gesture. It shows that Arc again steps up to the plate for its customers. Peter is a wonderful and honest owner, and I would argue that more companies should be as honest and customer friendly as Arc.

Even if I got one of those ugly lines, I would keep it. I think I'd use the ugly line Arc as an EDC, and keep the ones that look good for around the house use (since the EDC is more likely to get beat up anyway). It seems petty to return an Arc just due to being ugly (the lines don't affect the strength or performance). Plus, Peter is such a great guy that I am willing to accept an ugly unit (assuming the Arc-4 I ordered has those lines) for the good of his great company.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FrenchyLed said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows, you might have a point. There might be someone out there that would pay a premium to have an Arc with the lines...just because they are so rare. Could become a collectors item! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Holy {vulgar term for feces}!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Now this is what I call customer service!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
My LSH-P and LSHP-F do not have these stripes, but even if they did I don't think they would have detracted from the 5-Star rating I gave them because they do not affect performance, usage, or handling. Only if somebody were to put these flashlights in a cabinet for display purposes only would these stripes become an issue.
My opinion only though; individual results may vary.

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Peter. I got one with a single stripe through the Foot in the Door special last week. I noticed it, but I was so happy with the light and the overall package that I didn't think it was worth worrying about.

The thread on this topic was an interesting discussion, and your generous offer is probably the best approach in terms of customer service. For me, I was happy with the light and planned to keep it before your announcement. That's still the case.

Jay

bhds

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
This is also the last production run of the LSH models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunh!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I knew I should of bought more in the last "*get my hook in your mouth" sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

*LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bhds said:
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
This is also the last production run of the LSH models.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hunh!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I knew I should of bought more in the last "*get my hook in your mouth" sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

*LitFuse

[/ QUOTE ]

So that means the LSH is cancelled after this run?

Will there be a replacement model?

For example, the Arc 4 is bigger and can't fit in the Arc holster. For those of us that prefer to carry in a holster, what will happen....will Arc make a holster for the Arc 4?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
There's a big gap in the Arc product line if they drop LSH production. It implies to me there's a new, unannounced product coming down the line. I don't see Arc thriving on just AAA and Arc4+ output. Inova is putting the price squeeze on the LSH with their new T1.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
There's a big gap in the Arc product line if they drop LSH production. It implies to me there's a new, unannounced product coming down the line. I don't see Arc thriving on just AAA and Arc4+ output. Inova is putting the price squeeze on the LSH with their new T1.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agreed.

You have the entry level Arc AAA/AA at around $30-$40, and then the Arc 4+ super premium model at $180.

Seems that someone looking for a model in the middle (in both price and performance) would be SOL (after the LSH is cancelled).

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no plans for any other products than the Arc5 and the headlamp and those are delayed.

The Arc4 is meant to replace the LSH.

We will be selling the LSH probably for another 3-5 months depending on demand.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.