[Review] Olight Warrior X

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I was quite surprise to see Olight decided to release a new Tactical flashlight before end of 2018. I thought a more "civilian" or "hunter" model would be release, oh well...

OK, I'm trying a little different approach this time, the review will be split into 2 posts, first one focuses on what yours truly thinks is the more significant feature of Warrior X while the second will be the normal boring review. Here we go...

Olight releases a teaser image saying they are releasing "THE WORLD'S FIRST... " yup, the world's first VIBRATOR FLASHLIGHT is what it is! See below for the proof...
x2Dph6l.jpg

see that? hmmm... but calling it a VIBRATOR FLASHLIGHT is incorrect, because we can't control when it vibrates. It goes into the crazy vibration mode when battery met the following conditions:
power=30% vibrate once every 5 minutes
power=10% vibrate once per minute
power=5% vibrate 6 times per minute
Let's call it FLASHLIGHT that vibrates then. I know, I know, all sorts of naughty comments will start popping up on the Internet with regards to this Warrior X...

CglhT9w.jpg

this is what's printed at the side of the box Warrior X came in...

OK, joke asides, I think the biggest surprise is the improvements made to the silent electronic tactical tail-switch that begins with Olight M2R, we now have a proper UI -- 2 groups, Tactical and Enhanced Tactical. In normal Tactical mode, you have access to the low 300 lumens and high 2000 lumens, while Enhanced Tactical allows you to access High and Strobe. Having to hide the Strobe mode to second group (Enhanced Tactical) is not the surprise that I was referring to, but Olight Warrior X implemented something similar to SureFire LX2 or the more recently released SureFire EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T, what the Internet now refers to as gas-pedal UI, but was called "2-stage UI" back in the day. In my humble opinion, I think Olight's implementation of this "gas-pedal" UI is as good if not better than SureFire's.

In this review, let's ignore the Enhanced Tactical group, but note that you can switch from one group to the other by doing the following:
1. Unscrew/loosen the Warrior X tailcap
2. Hold down the tailcap button while screwing/tightening back the Warrior X tailcap
That's it, now you toggle to the other group. Oh, one more thing, the Enhanced Tactical is only available in Momentary.

The "gas-pedal" UI is further featured into 2 activation stage, constant-ON and momentary-ON. And I love the simplicity of it. I commit this UI to my muscle memory within 3 minutes. It's that intuitive.
* Light press and let go to enter Constant-On Low mode
* Deep press and let go (within a second) to enter Constant-On High mode
* Light press and hold (longer than 1 second) to enter Momentary-On Low mode
* Deep Press and hold (longer than 1 second) to enter Momentary-On High mode
* If you are in Constant-On Low mode, another Deep press will switch you to Constant-On or Momentary-On High mode, depending on how long you hold the button down
* If Warrior X is Constant-On, a light press will turn it Off
* One more thing, Olight's UI provide a tactile feedback when we deep press

The second best thing about Olight Warrior X is the optional RWX. This optional accessory is a brand new pressure switch built specifically for this Warrior X. Olight ain't kidding when they say you can attach the remote pressure switch in just "HALF A SECOND". It's that fast! When RWX is attached, you get Constant-On or Momentary-On High mode when Warrior X is configured for normal Tactical mode group, while only Strobe mode when Warrior X is configured for Enhanced Tactical mode group.

Olight also send over a sample flashlight mount: E-WM25 which is suitable for Olight Warrior X, M20SX, M2X, M22, M2R, M2T, M23 and M3XS-UT. Note that to install Warrior X, you need to take out the tailcap, the clip, and the grip ring to slot in the provided space and put back the grip ring and tailcap. A smaller diameter flashlight mount is also available: E-WM21 for Olight M1T, M1T Plus (not yet release, but was printed at the package).

here ends part 1.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Let's begin part 2 with sort of a challenge initiated internally at Olight...
NImDsrr.jpg

*above picture is from Olight

Olight Warrior X Specifications
pOxeIrN.jpg

nzR02LV.jpg

what's printed at the back of the box

the user manual
UWgN3hB.jpg

0ijZTFY.jpg

gM1cTUF.jpg

below is what Olight sent over
1tU7VUv.jpg

they are so kind to also send 2 optional accessory, 1 x RWX Remote Pressure Switch and 1 x Flashlight Mount

The RWX...
chpqGWk.jpg

xgkC6Zl.jpg

Charging the Warrior X with included 1A MCC charging cable
vLrQHvM.jpg

LED at the magnetic charging turns RED when charging is in progress

w1zBZdu.jpg

and turns GREEN when charging completed

6GNV60H.jpg

The improved UI tail-switch

YdVuU0s.jpg

Tailcap contact side

ENwuGFM.jpg

head contact spring

N0y2g89.jpg

Double barrel wall design, also to allow charging to happen with non-proprietary battery

CN9rnZ0.jpg

body threading

kbK1K2q.jpg

clip and grip ring design. Unlike the 10 years old M20 Warrior, the grip ring is not screw on, it is hold in place by a second O-ring as you shall see in later image...

9kjxUNs.jpg

Warrior X large heat-sink fins, that 2000 lumens sure generate a lot of heat!

DvaynIP.jpg

body knurling

s99nGwN.jpg

blue-colored crenelated bezel, it looks mean...

z90oED4.jpg

Neutral White XHP35 LED in Warrior X

A few picture of Warrior X
zxwgBIU.jpg

5WQF5wB.jpg

D9aPHX8.jpg

The 15A ultra high drain 18650 battery included in Warrior X
APkBfrl.jpg

lnfrgHd.jpg

u533Smn.jpg

XYslBN9.jpg

battery is to be install button-side (positive terminal) face towards the tailcap

to switch the factory installed grip ring + clip to TGR (Tactical Grip Ring), after removing the tailcap, you can push out the grip ring...
hcLDAB1.jpg

and then pull the clip out
Zy35oOe.jpg

see the double o-ring in the picture above, that second o-ring is to secure the grip ring.

4gQJNyy.jpg

after pulling out the clip...

GIbXjjP.jpg

you can install the TGR by slowly sliding it pass the first o-ring and sit it firmly at the second o-ring

isVTBtM.jpg

and put back the tailcap

A few images of the TGR installed in Warrior X
j6g3u6Q.jpg

xM1IRnJ.jpg

Compare Warrior X with SureFire C2
FIv5HXo.jpg

LbgjPMd.jpg

and compare to M20 Warrior, M2T, C2
XaDSsjn.jpg

UvS9A0u.jpg

the beam profile
TVbxv4j.jpg

Zg9KaXj.jpg

from the above under exposed image, you can see this new Warrior X can definitely out throw Olight M2T.

The measured output
PrvhmyF.jpg

My measured output is different from what manufacturer's claim, I get a good ~30 minutes in ~1250 lumens before dropping to ~600 lumens, see below runtime chart
The usual disclaimer: I do not claim the above measured lumens as authoritative nor an indication of over/under-stating the number given by manufacturer. It's calibrated against some known light output (e.g. SureFire, Elzetta, etc.) so take it with a grain of salt and just as a relative reading.

and my measured runtime
t0x8udL.jpg

For the area highlighted with (1) in the above image, please see the following from the user manual
ZmNaBuc.jpg

and

rZaPV5T.jpg

however, no mentioning of that step down to 1250 lumens. According to Olight engineer, the runtime period of that 1200 lumens is dependent on the operating temperature, and the longer it stay at this brightness level, the shorter the total runtime, that is why my total runtime plotted is shorter than what manufacturer quoted.

so there you go. In conclusion, I really like this Warrior X's fit and finish especially the improved UI, this alone is worth the asking price in my opinion (vibrating power indicator notwithstanding).

Last edited:

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Cool! Thanks for the review. I want one of these. I love my M22 Warrior and my M2R, and this looks like a nice combination of the those two lights. I can't find it for sale yet. Any idea when it's out or where to buy?

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
I was looking through Olight website and it just released today as we know. The USA Olight store link has 35% off sale for few days starting later this week.
Cool! Thanks for the review. I want one of these. I love my M22 Warrior and my M2R, and this looks like a nice combination of the those two lights. I can't find it for sale yet. Any idea when it's out of where to buy?

mdmvrockford

Newly Enlightened
Thank you rookiedaddy for the excellent review: concise, excellent pictures and graphics.

I was curious what Olight's December 10, 2018 announcement would be and from their USA website saw it was Warrior X. For some reason google search of CLF "Warrior X" or "Olight Warrior X" did not bring your review up on the first 3 pages (I did not check the remaining seven pages). Perhaps because it is still same day? I did find your review on the CLF "front page."

Perhaps Olight will later make a Warrior Xt version in future: specifically one with protruding tail button like the M2T Warrior (my personal preference). Of course then will loose magnetic feature like the M2T did vs. the M2R. BTW, your M2T review was instrumental in my decision in purchasing that flashlight.

There are pros and cons to everything.
Pros: very quick attachment of pressure switch assembly.
Cons: accidental dislodgement of the magnetic pressure switch attachment in really rough tactical situations (something 99.9% of prospective buyers likely will never subject weapon-mounted light to I suspect).
I am just amazed at level of choices in LED light now compared to ten years ago. I realize there are choices of similar form factor and throw LED light from other manufacturers that have screw on tail pressure switch assembly (e.g. Acebeam L16). This last information is from my internet search as I have no clue about different manufacturers at this time:(

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
thanks for the kind words guys. appreciate it. :)

There are pros and cons to everything. Pros are very quick attachment of pressure switch assembly. Cons: accidental dislodgement of the magnetic pressure switch attachment in really rough tactical situations (something 99.9% of prospective buyers likely will never subject the weapons mounted light to I suspect)...
Agree with your concerns and it's valid and understandable. what I can clarify is the strength of magnetism with the RWX is much much stronger than any of their magnetic charging cable. While attaching to Warrior X, I can swing them side-to-side without it being dislodge, except when making it do 360 degree somersault... :D

Last edited:

matt4350

Enlightened
If Olight put this UI into the M1T, it'd be an excellent backup light for duty use, and fill the spot for many people's edc needs as well. I really like the idea of such a switch in a light that won't cost me over 200 bucks in this country.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
after repeated discharging and charging (~30 cycles) in-light and using XTAR charger, it seems that charging the included cell in-light always ends in 4.20V while charging in XTAR SV2, SP1, VC4, VP4+ and NiteCore F1, the cell Voltage always ends between 4.16 - 4.17V. looks like using in-light charging always will give us that extra bit of juice.

on the other hand, I came across the following... and again, I feel really sad (disheartening?) that this is only available in the US of A... man, that really makes me seriously envy and sad at the same time... :mecry: :hairpull:
gxTofEa.png

jeez... why can't they do it for everyone worldwide? sorry, forgive me for ranting... :ohgeez:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
@rookieDaddy there is an olight Canada with the same four day deal, I don't know about the pressure switch though

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wonderful review here !

Thank you for your time and effort.

I have their Olight M20 Warrior model,
for a Decade now, and it's darn near
indestructible.

However . . . .
I'm VERY disappointed to learn this new model
has 300 Lumens as its LOWEST setting !

:shakehead
_

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review. I'm dying to try that user interface and magnetic charging system. The deep discount they're offering makes this especially tempting. Could I trouble you for a photo of the light without any grip ring or pocket clip attached?

The only thing I'm struggling with is the prominent lettering on the battery tube. People in neighboring states will be able to see that it's a "WARRIOR X". Am I the only one who thinks that's cheesy?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
@matt4350, I'm with you on that. Besides M1T, I would also like to see Olight put that UI in their upcoming M-series lights too. :popcorn:

Seriously??? You guys actually WANT a light with no real momentary function?

For me the UI is the deal breaker. I love my M2T just the way it is...I actually would buy the Warrior X if it had the same UI as the M2T. Oh well...I'm not saying I would never consider it at all....just that to justify that price I need it to be closer to what I would actually use.

I am curious as to why suddenly it's a thing to have this sort of power switching on a light? Olight's not the only one doing it either, a couple of other brands are also doing the same or similar UI. I just don't get it.

Anyway, great review of the light! I'm just probably not going to be buying it.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
thanks for the kind words guys...

Could I trouble you for a photo of the light without any grip ring or pocket clip attached?
here you go...
hAeEoC7.jpg

i0mKNhA.jpg

honestly, Warrior X UI is not "innovatively" new, it reminds me of the good'ol NiteCore Smart Piston Drive (D10?) where we get momentary by slightly loosening the body, or the LiteFlux UI (it's so advanced that I almost need to refer to the user manual every time I wanna use it), except Warrior X is much simpler and they incorporate (imitate?) the gas-pedal function similar to SureFire famous 2-stage tailcap.
You still get the tactical momentary UI if you switch to the "Enhanced Tactical" mode group where you can get real momentary function, albeit limited to High and Strobe.

matt4350

Enlightened

For me the UI is the deal breaker. I love my M2T just the way it is...I actually would buy the Warrior X if it had the same UI as the M2T. Oh well...I'm not saying I would never consider it at all....just that to justify that price I need it to be closer to what I would actually use.

I am curious as to why suddenly it's a thing to have this sort of power switching on a light? Olight's not the only one doing it either, a couple of other brands are also doing the same or similar UI. I just don't get it.

Anyway, great review of the light! I'm just probably not going to be buying it.

Seriously for sure! :)

When I want momentary, it's when I'm approaching a vehicle or doing a scan before advancing, or something along those lines. I have never had the need for momentary less than 1 second, so this particular UI would suit me well. I s'pose it just boils down to what needs you've identified.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Olight is like the iPhone of flashlights. Sleek, intuitive, and fun. It's insanely bright. The magnetic charging system is completely swank. The gas pedal switch is a pleasure to use. So far, I dig it.