Throw...Which Way To Go?

Husker

Enlightened
Made a huge mistake when I sold my Deft-X!

I'm searching for something that performs about or as good as the Deft-X was at Throwing.

I really don't wanna spend a small fortune on one though.

Please point me to a good thrower that is considered an excellent Bang-4-Buck.

Busa Dave

Newly Enlightened
I have a Deft-X have 4 of his lights actually and if there is something out there that does that I want it. The BLG GT is huge compared to the DEFT-x though? Love the DX because there is NO SPILL to speak of..

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Vinh does a few aspheric throwers on skylumen.com

He might be able to put the 1mm oslon white led in a dereelight xsvn. Bet that would touch 500Kcd

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Deft-X have 4 of his lights actually and if there is something out there that does that I want it. The BLG GT is huge compared to the DEFT-x though? Love the DX because there is NO SPILL to speak of..
Lumintop is now making a GT Mini, a single 18650 cell light as opposed to the eight cell GT. I believe the throw was 750m, but don't know if the tightness of the beam is sufficient for you. There are a couple reviews on YouTube that you can check out.

For those of us who arn't familiar with the DEFT-X, can you give us some idea of its specs so we have something to compare against.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
Emisar D1s.... That's pretty throwy but they may be releasing a D1s+ with a different LED..
Stock it's 130kcd .. But the new one is 320kcd

Busa Dave

Newly Enlightened
Lumintop is now making a GT Mini, a single 18650 cell light as opposed to the eight cell GT. I believe the throw was 750m, but don't know if the tightness of the beam is sufficient for you. There are a couple reviews on YouTube that you can check out.

For those of us who arn't familiar with the DEFT-X, can you give us some idea of its specs so we have something to compare against.

Here is a release about it. Mine made 920,000cd per the card that was in the box.

" VALENCIA, Calif., Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wavien, Inc. will be presenting the world's longest throwing commercially available LED flashlight, designed and manufactured by OMG Lumens, Inc., at the CES trade show at the Las Vegas Convention Center, January 8th – 11th, 2013, South Hall, Booth # 20236. The beam intensity of this LED flashlight, the OMG Lumens model DEFT-X, is, at 900,000 cd (candela), 260% more intense than the closest competitor and is considered a new world record for a commercially available flashlight.
Wavien's Recycling Light Technology (RLT™) system is a simple, cost-effective way to dramatically increase the brightness and efficiency of most LED products. As a Wavien licensee of this enabling technology, OMG Lumens will start the manufacture and sale of this new product in Q1 2013. The OMG Lumens DEFT-X product is available now for preorder for delivery in 3-4 weeks with very attractive pricing.
"RLT is Wavien's Recycling Light Technology, a compact, low-cost, passive component technology that increases over 2 times the useable light output of conventional LEDs by collecting high angle LED generated light, that would be wasted in conventional illumination systems, and redirecting it into a more compact, useful, and brighter beam. The usable LED light output is significantly boosted by the RLT reflector with no additional LED input power required and no change in LED lifetime," stated Dr. Kenneth Li, President and CEO of Wavien, Inc., who is also the inventor of the RLT technology. "Wavien is very pleased that our RTL technology is a key component of the latest ground-breaking product from OMG Lumens, an acknowledged leader in its field."
Michael Johnson, portable SSL design consultant and President of OMG Lumens, stated, "As a flashlight enthusiast and portable lighting designer for 5 years I have spent countless hours trying to find ways to increase the throw of my lights and push the boundaries of the possible, and chasing even small percentages of improvement wherever they could be found. Holding the world record for 5 years in LED based throw lights is a testament to this uncompromising approach. The Wavien RLT system stands as the most significant throw enhancing technology I have seen all these years and is enabling us to achieve performance once thought to be unattainable. The RLT system is a perfect fit for our line of hyper-performance flashlights starting with the introduction of the new DEFT-X."

justanotherguy

Enlightened
900k is so 2013..... There was a BLF GT that was modded to an aspheric. 3,500,000.. about 4 x the Deft. but it is HUGE....heck a stock GT or GT70 is over a million

Enderman

Enlightened
If you don't mind spill, MF-04 or BLF-GT.
If you want no spill, vinh sells some good aspheric throwers under 1Mcd, but the only other aspheric superthrower I know of is out of stock: https://www.silentthunderordnance.com/flashlights/lance-of-ra

A modded BLF-GT was recently sold, that thing could do 3.5Mcd, it was the most powerful GT-sized light that's ever been built, but the guy isn't doing any production runs or anything like that, it was just a one-off.

Busa Dave

Newly Enlightened
900k is so 2013..... There was a BLF GT that was modded to an aspheric. 3,500,000.. about 4 x the Deft. but it is HUGE....heck a stock GT or GT70 is over a million

Yes but I want no spill.... The Deft is the only one that I have seen that is like that additionally, the lights that need a carrier or bearer to use in the field because of their size :), are not for me. I use the DEFT for lighting up feral hogs at distance and spill is bad for the eyes trying to focus on the distant target plus get reflection from spill (lights up dust and moisture in the air) in my optics.... Think of the DEFT as laser if you will.

Enderman

Enlightened
Yes but I want no spill.... The Deft is the only one that I have seen that is like that additionally, the lights that need a carrier or bearer to use in the field because of their size :), are not for me. I use the DEFT for lighting up feral hogs at distance and spill is bad for the eyes trying to focus on the distant target plus get reflection from spill (lights up dust and moisture in the air) in my optics.... Think of the DEFT as laser if you will.
That 3.5Mcd was an aspheric mod.
Just like the deft-X it had 0 spill.

easilyled

Flashaholic
You might investigate the Maxtoch Xsword L2K which works by laser excitation to produce white light ... this technology is quite new and by all accounts produces an extremely tight beam with zero spill. The manufacturer claims that this flashlight throws over 2000m.

Busa Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help--going to look into these..... Wonder if Vinh could modify my DEFTX into a beast??? Might shoot him an email.:)

Well looks like the DEFTx will be retired.... the Xsword out classes it in every way but for its time the DEFT was awesome!

Last edited:

Enderman

Enlightened
Thanks for the help--going to look into these..... Wonder if Vinh could modify my DEFTX into a beast??? Might shoot him an email.:)

Well looks like the DEFTx will be retired.... the Xsword out classes it in every way but for its time the DEFT was awesome!
Vinh should be able to swap out your LED and driver for a White Flat LED which would get you somewhere between 1.2 and 1.4Mcd.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Acebeam W10 and one made by Weltool are the only LEP lights I've seen, I have the acebeam, i wouldn't say it has no spill, but it has no useable spill. 250 lumens but it reaches out quite aways. They aren't cheap, usually $250 or more but they do go on sale sometimes

Enderman

Enlightened
Acebeam W10 and one made by Weltool are the only LEP lights I've seen, I have the acebeam, i wouldn't say it has no spill, but it has no useable spill. 250 lumens but it reaches out quite aways. They aren't cheap, usually $250 or more but they do go on sale sometimes
Maxtoch L2K is also LEP.
It has a larger lens though for more throw.