Inova

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I understand it--

X5-original 5 LED model, case had no scallops on barrel, twist end cap on/off
X5T-essentially same except for scalloping on hexagonal barrel, instant on pushbutton with constant on still twist
X5HA-Hard anodized version of X5T, special edition version requested by some LE and military outlets.

Did I miss anything?

Bill

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Man, you're just everywhere eh, TPyke? Welcome to CPF--glad you found your way over here, I was going to recommend joining after your last email.

Bill--are you talking about the fluting when you say scallops? Because the original X5 has a fluted body and just to be a little more specific, the twist on/off was the head unlike the later models. The original X5 has been discontinued for awhile now. I believe the earlier X5T's had very slight differences in body style than the newer models, but they were only cosmetic and I can't remember what they were.

Also, the X5 came in only white and blue LEDs, the X5T comes in white, blue, green, red (I think) and UV, and the X5THA is put out by CountyComm and I believe only comes with white LEDs.

The X5 and X5T were/are both available in either silver or black body styles.

TPyke

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
ZENGHOST said:
Man, you're just everywhere eh, TPyke?

I'm spreading like a disease! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you stated Zenghost.

To clarify, (I Think!)

Original X5--Twist on/off (was it the head portion, I have never seen an early one?), no pushbutton momentary light. I understood these were just hexagonal.
X5T-Fluting on body, pushbutton instant on/off, twist for constant on/off. Some additional color LED's as Zenghost mentions.
X5HA-Essentially the same as X5T, limited LED colors, but Level 3 Hard Anodizing.

Is that right?

Bill

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Actually, the original X5 had a fluted body and did not have a tailcap switch. You had to twist the head to operate it. They were available in grey and black finishes. Here are some links that show what the original X5 looked like:
http://members.aol.com/mlt113/myhomepage/flashlightx5.html

http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/inova_x5.htm

Then they updated the model to include a tailcap switch. This was known as the X5T and it still had a fluted body (also available in black or grey), but it had a larger lanyard hole. It was also slightly longer and wider than the original. Emissive Energy has since changed the body on the X5T from fluted to an octagonal shape. The fluted versions looked like this:

653436_lg.jpg

Better pics of the fluted X5T can be seen at Quickbeam's site:
http://flashlightreviews1.home.att.net/reviews/inova_x5t.htm

Since the original model has been discontinued, Emissive Energy now refers to the current model as the X5, however, most of us on CPF still call it the X5T. All current models have an octagonal body and look like this:
x5tm.jpg

The X5T-HA is nothing more than a current model with type III hard anodize and is "sterile" meaning that there are no markings on the tailcap which would identify the maker. Here's a link to the X5T-HA:

http://www.countycomm.com/x5tha.htm

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the new style X5T stand on end?

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Thanks, Cosmic--I am not at home so I couldn't post any pics of my (original) X5, so you saved me the trouble. And thanks for clearing up the versions of the X5T--I thought it had something to do with the fluting, but couldn't remember which came first.

The other difference that I forgot to mention earlier was that the X5T versions have a lanyard hole that can accomodate 550 Paracord whereas the old version's lanyard hole really sucked. The old version was smaller as well and could stand on its end but the X5T cannot.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

* The original X5 had a lanyard hole that went thorough the entire rear end. The hole was a little small. Five-fifty paracord would not fit without heavy persuasion. Activation is a bit odd: UNdo the head to activate. This model is svelt and carries easily.

* The X5T is bigger; not by much, but is noticeable. The lanyard hole is bigger and does not go through the entire rear end. This model has the momentary endswitch, but the mechanism is NOT "clickie." Gone is the fluting and flat, milled sections replace them. One feature that I really like in this upgraded/updated model is the stainless steel "lensring" that serves to protect the LEDs AND the the bezel.

Speaking of stainless steel, there was some very casual discussion on making the original model in this material. That would have made the X5 one VERY tough and heavy flashlight. One proto was made and the project was apparently axed as it would have increased the unit cost significantly, too.

The X5T HA is a special manufacturing run. As the concept of "sterility" goes, this exercise would have been successful as recently as 14 years ago. Today, even a casual search of the Interent by a novice user would reveal the unique profile of this Inova product and, obviously, its maker.

I still EDC the original X5.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Very true. The fact that the X5T-HA is "sterile" doesn't do much to conceal it's origins. Still, I do think that the type III hard anodize is a great option for those who like a subdued "military-like" look. I often carry my X5T and most of the time people will comment on what a sleak looking flashlight it is. Non-flashaholics will look at it's 5 LED setup and say it looks like something out of the Men In Black movies. I guess they're too used to seeing common Mag type flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TPyke

Newly Enlightened
OK. I just bought an Inova x5 from brightedge(thanks for the connex Zenghost...[nevermind the light]), so it's either an old X5, a new X5, or a new version of the X5T. Thanks for your input guys, but as a newbie I wish there was an icon of one of those smiley faces shooting themselves in the head so that I could explain how i feel.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
Will the new style X5T stand on end?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't believe the X5T can stand on-end.
At least my NUV X5T doesn't.
If you buy one for that reason, you're going to be pissed off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
>>>
As the concept of "sterility" goes, this exercise would have been successful as recently as 14 years ago.
>>>

And now that there have been Chinese X5 knock-offs reported, bow do you tell a "genuine, but sterile" X5 from a pure and simple knock-off copy?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a couple of the knockoffs, I would have to say that the quality of the finish on the body is nowhere near the original X5t. You can probably spot the imperfections (inconsistent knurling, uneven fluting on sides, etc) Functions are similar, 2x123, 5 leds, etc, but I can't remember if it has a chrome bezel like the original or not... There is also a 3Led 3N batteries version, slightly smaller in diameter, and shorter as well. Didn't appeal much to a person who already has a X5t...

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
And now that there have been Chinese X5 knock-offs reported, bow do you tell a "genuine, but sterile" X5 from a pure and simple knock-off copy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, you're talking about one of these knockoffs:
284_366.jpg

These blatant ripoffs are produced by Mobile Power Technologies (MPTech)
http://www.mobilepowert.com/Content.aspx?f=Product&p=177&c=177&m=284&u=1&s=1&l=0

Quickbeam did a review of one of these cheap knockoffs with 3 LEDs by MPTech. The shameless bastids even stole the package design! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
http://flashlightreviews2.home.att.net/reviews/mptech_xp3.htm

Quality is inferior to the Inova X5T, so if you've ever owned a real X5T, you'll be able to tell.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really ticks me off to see a company like this screw an American company with a knock off. I think we should flood their email with complaints. Or better yet email them a good old American computer virus and let them work with that for a while. If you want to send them an email try this address. Maybe we could have a contest to see who can be the most creative.

[email protected]

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
If you go to Cosmic superchunks post and look at the silver gray one, that's the unit i have here.

My sister picked it up as a parting gift for my tour in Iraq.

Other than for batteries, I can't kill this thing. It's a very solid bit of gear. It's been in a pocket every day since December 6th bouncing next to a swiss army knife and some keys.

It's not scratched, not dented.

It just works with out a flaw.

The beam quality is rather good for conditions here. I can see big things at night over 100 feet away. Mostly I look about 15 to 25 feet ahead so I don't step into a tire rut and break an ankle.

Give you a hint, this is the one I don't loan out.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq.

ps current photos are here if you want a peek at daylight conditions. At night this place can get spooky. Currently have a full moon. In 14 days this place will get dim.

http://www.obscure-reference.com/hosted/RadioMike/index.html

Canuke

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Cosmic Superchunk said:Non-flashaholics will look at it's 5 LED setup and say it looks like something out of the Men In Black movies. I guess they're too used to seeing common Mag type flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I'm so glad I found my white original X5 after it spent a few weeks hiding under my friend's couch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif... if I ever get back to shooting short films, this is the prop of choice for "hi-tech/future light".