Sky Lumen        

Thread: PK Knight Tailswitch

Default PK Knight Tailswitch

Does anyone know how to take the tailswitch on a PK Knight apart?
    Mine has recently become very unreliable and I think a good clean is in order.
    Thanks so much,
    P

Default Re: PK Knight Tailswitch

If you have facebook account you can shoot PK a msg. If not, ask bykfixer. He has loads of PKís and been doing some work oníem.

I think it's a press on thing. There were other similar lights made by foursevens that used that type of os. Mini Mark if I recall correct, so if anybody knows how to take those apart ....

The actual PK part of them was the (at that time) worlds brightest LED lamp. The rest was all David Chow.
    John 3:16

Thank you, all is not lost.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by pk View Post
    I will share inside view of it for now.
    Perhaps, you can see how low profile my new design "TAC-O-CLICKTM" switch is.
    It works like SF tactical switch, but few difference.
    1. This switch has a TACTO feeling when you push it that let you know you have pushed button. (confirmation/confident)
    2. Unscrew back gives you disable, but tailcap does not comes out. (no loose part)
    3. No rubber button that wears and tears. the whole tailcap itself is a switch.
    Hope you can enjoy! Cheers~

Sorry, I don't do cpf email/message. Please email me at pk@pkdesignlab.com or post it on my Facebook.

ORIGINAL POST HERE -

Also worth reading -#108 and #109

~ Chance
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 12-16-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Good find, thank you. Looks like it just pops off. I've emailed PK just in case.
    Onward and upward.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Good find, thank you. Looks like it just pops off. I've emailed PK just in case.
    Onward and upward.
    P
    Procede with extreme caution - 2. Unscrew back gives you disable, but tailcap does not comes out. (no loose part)

My pleasure, Peter. You're welcome.

~ CG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Iím curious about taking apart the tail switch also. My Paladins donít exactly have the smoothest action in the world and Iím sure a nice clean and relube would fix it.

Looking at the CAD, I wonder what that silver ring is for? Is that some sort of retaining ring?
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post

ORIGINAL POST HERE -

Also worth reading -#108 and #109

~ Chance
    I stand corrected (about the design part).

Here ya go Pete

The brass looking "C" clip holds the light in the groove shown to the right.

I forgot I had accidently removed mine one time. I just twisted until it came off (not knowing any better).
    Note, mine is a prototype so the Knight may differ.

Just thread it back on like normal
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-16-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Who's the Go-To MAN?

Johnny's the Go-To Man!

~ Chance

Congratulations on owning a prototype! It's a very rare piece of Foursevens & PK history. Very cool.

~ CG

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I stand corrected (about the design part).

Here ya go Pete

The brass looking "C" clip holds the light in the groove shown to the right.

I forgot I had accidently removed mine one time. I just twisted until it came off (not knowing any better).
    Note, mine is a prototype so the Knight may differ.

Just thread it back on like normal
    You must be an ox. Or have the strength like one. Iím trying to twist it off an itís not budging. I even have some pieces of rubber on the body and tailcap for extra grip and it still wonít come off.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Default PK Knight Tailswitch

Hey badtziscool,
    I bought an e series brass bezel from a CPFír in the Ukraine-beautiful work but I could not tighten it far enough for a complete installation regardless how hard I tried. He suggested buying a pair of gloves from Harbor Freight for $1.99. They have yellow rubber on the back and a Grayish color on front with a mixed threadlike texture. Once I put them on I was Ironman-the bezel tightened as easy as a well lubed and well machined piece of copper. I have since used them to unscrew several heads with threadlocker and do not even need to use heat. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    Hey badtziscool,
    I bought an e series brass bezel from a CPFír in the Ukraine-beautiful work but I could not tighten it far enough for a complete installation regardless how hard I tried. He suggested buying a pair of gloves from Harbor Freight for $1.99. They have yellow rubber on the back and a Grayish color on front with a mixed threadlike texture. Once I put them on I was Ironman-the bezel tightened as easy as a well lubed and well machined piece of copper. I have since used them to unscrew several heads with threadlocker and do not even need to use heat. Good Luck!
    Thankss crazy. I may give that a try. Im just kind of hesitant on using more force. Just donít want to damage anything.

I had a good try at unscrewing it this morning - no dice.
    Also tried with wrenches and it didn't budge, still it's beaten up enough now for me to find a way.
    Maybe PK will have the answer....
    P

Hey peter yetman. Did Pk ever reply back to you?

Yes, I'm sorry, he did.
    He explained that the tail is held on with a stainless ring and is not designed to be removed. However he said that someone had managed to remove it, but he doesn't know how. He also sent me a useful scematic of the body and tail.
    I got a bit rough with mine the other day to no avail, apart from scratching up the PVD coating. I've now jammed the tail in the on position and doing the on and off with the head. That works fine for the stuff I need it to do.
    Thanks for reminding me to update this.
    P

OY! You can lead a horse to water.....#7 I take no pleasure in your pain.

~ CG

Sorry, I'm a bit of a free spirit.
    P

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bit of a free spirit.
    P
    That's why we luv ya, Peter.

~ CG

xxxxx
    P

Well it was already kinda broken.

Oh yes, it's much more useful now.
    P

Thanks Peter. PM incoming.

Thanks to peter and Chauncey for responding in the other, main thread about the Knight/Paladin.

My Paladin seems to have some small metal piece floating around inside the tailcap.

Looking at the diagram from PK that peter posted up AND combined with the photo badtziscool posted, it does look like the safest way to remove the tailcap is to simply screw it off and hope that the retaining ring pops inward.

I figure what I need to do is come up with a way to really torque on the tailcap and body without damaging either's finish. Maybe a pair of tiny strap wrenches wrapped tightly around inner tube scraps...

UPDATE: Just noticed that Prometheus has tiny resin wrenches for flashlights, but they seem to be limited to one specific size. So far, the rubber strap wrenches I am finding don't go down to less than 1.5in in diameter.
    Last edited by dchang0; 10-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Not too sure if this is pertinent here or not but when I had the same kind of issue with a Ti Mini MKII the problem ended up being an almost microscopic sliver of metal somehow loose inside the threads where they make and break contact thus switching the light off and on or in my case on and on which is what yours seems to be doing as well?

I knew that there had to something like this going on but again the sliver was so small that I just couldn't see it at all almost.
    I finally took a small pick tool and slid around the threads lightly and it peeked out a little and I was able to figure out what was happening and since removing the tiny metal shard the light is just fine again for me!

I only half understand the cutaway view that is posted but I bet if you can get in there it can be fixed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Thanks to peter and Chauncey for responding in the other, main thread about the Knight/Paladin.

My Paladin seems to have some small metal piece floating around inside the tailcap.

Looking at the diagram from PK that peter posted up AND combined with the photo badtziscool posted, it does look like the safest way to remove the tailcap is to simply screw it off and hope that the retaining ring pops inward.

I figure what I need to do is come up with a way to really torque on the tailcap and body without damaging either's finish. Maybe a pair of tiny strap wrenches wrapped tightly around inner tube scraps...

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Not too sure if this is pertinent here or not but when I had the same kind of issue with a Ti Mini MKII the problem ended up being an almost microscopic sliver of metal somehow loose inside the threads where they make and break contact thus switching the light off and on or in my case on and on which is what yours seems to be doing as well?
    It could be a sliver of metal, but I suspect that it's bigger than that because there are times when it actually blocks me from pressing the tailcap down. In these rare moments, the tailcap feels solid, like it's locked out, so I figure the broken piece is about 1mm in thickness.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get to the metal piece through the center of the PCB to which the battery spring is attached (the PCB is green in the diagram peter got from PK).

If the battery spring simply pulls out (not soldered) of the PCB, I might be able to fish around inside the contact mechanism with a dental pick. But I'm wary of doing this because if the battery spring can't be put back into the PCB, I'm screwed. Maybe I can fish around without having to remove the battery spring...

UPDATE:

Can't get the dental pick in there due to the cramped quarters, but perhaps a paper clip bent at a sharp right angle will work.

UPDATE 2:

Even a paper clip is too thick. It won't fit between the coils of the battery spring. Well, I can get a straight paper clip through just one spot, but not a bent paper clip.

Probably doesn't matter, as the loose piece of metal is more likely to be on the other side of the contact plate.
    Last edited by dchang0; 10-01-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Even if You were able to get a pick in there, just one pick would not be enough points to slip the tailcap past the slot stop of the steel compression ring.
    I've checked the different blow ups. It looks like in order for it to work, the o-ring would need to be removed(destroyed) first in order to ensure the thin metal goes on top of, and not under the steel compression ring. A fixture of sorts that compresses ~>= four thin(~.008"?) 3/16 wide L shaped inserts might be able to be fabricated to work. ???

There may be a thermal possibility. It might be possible to heat the entire light (Dry, in a bag)boiling it and then use freeze spray(canned air inverted) on just the body. If a ~.0075 difference can be achieved, You maybe able to get the Steel ring to compress and slide past the ridge trying to remove the tailcap. Aluminum thermal expansion is greater than steel. You could try the reverse by freezing the entire light, then heating just the tailcap externally, but that may be risking some damage to the tailcap's PCB components. It all depends if the steel ring is round, and not a square specialized shape. If You try external heat, make sure it's a heat gun that won't overheat the anodizing and components on the PCB. Having PK's input on not knowing how, leaves some doubt on my suggestions. I hope You get it fixed soon, take care, GL.

Thereís electronics in the tailcap? I thought it was all a mechanical switch. Iíve thought about using feeler gauges to see if I can wedge it up in there with the hope that it will allow the spring to slip off the shelf. Havenít tried that though. Mine still works. Just not very smoothly so Iím still not at the stage where I want to do something that will damage the light.

@Got_Lumens?

Oh, I'm not trying to use the dental pick to remove the tailcap. Just hoping I could fish out the broken piece of metal floating around inside. But from my testing with a bent paperclip, it seems that the broken piece of metal is on the other side of the flat contact and thus cannot be fished out.

Thanks for your other suggestions, though. Those may work, though like badtziscool said, "Iím still not at the stage where I want to do something that will damage the light."

@badtziscool:

No, there are no electronics in the tailcap. Sorry if I worded it poorly. There appears to be a simple metal contact plate that the tailcap touches when pressed. The battery spring is attached to the metal contact plate.