SL 7led Vs X5T

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF KL1, Inretech AA "white", X5 (circled), SL4AA7LED.
fcddb16b.jpg

The SL's brighter, and has a bigger beam.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copy/paste the URL from the properties in your browser, then. Something weird is going on with this site and imagestation.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I can see the pic now./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Thanks Owen.

Greymage

Enlightened
SL7 is much better - brighter, whiter light. Only downside is it's bigger, and if you cared about size you wouldn't be looking at an X5T anyway.

symes

Enlightened
Hard comparison to make...

I have both...

SL7Led is an awesome light, lightweight, but tough, fills a whole room with bright white light and lasts for about forever on one set of Alks. The hundred plus hours claim is not an exaggeration. But, you can't use lithium AAs so, to me at least, as a standby light it has little value. Also, personally, I'd prefer the sL 7Led to have a more rounded body with more non-slip and not that bright shiny black plate - I find it a little slippy after the Surefires...

The X5T is also bright, but not as bright as I'd hoped witht the title "tactical floodlight". The wonderful thing about this light is that you still get a good number of hours of strong light and the trailing residual, but the thing is close to bullet proof and very pocketable, plus, with 2x123s I have one in each of 3 vehicles as my "changing the tire in the middle of the night" light...

When I compared these and a few SFs, I was forever impressed that the SL 7Led seemed to reach out almost sideways with light. With newish batteries, this is THE light for me to take into a dark room. Everything else I have lights up a specific part or puts a bright spot on the wall, the 7Led lights every ounce of the room - very clever reflector.

I love them both and wouldn't replace either with the other for what I use them for.

There, no help at all....sorry....

Simon

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting the X5 but I'll stick with my SL 7led.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Re: SL 7led Vs X5T

Simon quotes " But, you can't use lithium AAs"
Just curious, why can't you use lithiums in this light?

chumley

Enlightened

The SL 4AA 7led is driven hard on alkalines, lithiums will overdrive the leds. I have been running mine this winter, with 3 lithium AA's and a dummy battery.

jbrett14

Enlightened

Forgive my ignorance on battery knowledge, but what does it matter which type if they are both 1.5v?

Lagged2Death

Newly Enlightened

Energizer's "1.5v" lithium cells actually produce a little more voltage - about 1.7v, IIRC. Multiplied by 4 cells, that's an increase of 0.8v, or 13% more than the 6v maximum the SL 4AA LED was designed to handle. That may not seem like much, but even on alkalines, the SL 4AA LED pushes the limit - there were overheating problems in the early models. More voltage means more current drawn, and even more heat - that extra voltage could be enough to reach meltdown territory.

Cell chemistry and construction also effects the cells' internal resistance, which effects the total current drawn by any given circuit. As luck would have it, lithium AAs have a lower internal resistance than alkaline AAs, so that's another factor that would lead to increased current draw if lithiums were used in the SL 4AA LED.

Many unregulated LED lights using 3 or more cells explicitly prohibit lithium cells (or at least recommend alkaline cells only) for these reasons.

Latest posts