Wuben        

Thread: Help with LED conversion for halogen work light

Default Help with LED conversion for halogen work light

I've got one of these single bulb halogen work lights that I use once in a while. Each time I'm amazed by how hot it gets and how much energy it consumes.

Could someone recommend a big floody LED (neutral with nice color rendering) and a driver (120VAC input) so I can convert this thing? I can machine a heat sink/mount as necessary. A driver with a rheostat to control output would be a good feature but not necessary.

Probably not worth it given the price of LED work lights today but it would be a fun project.

Thanks.

https://www.northerntool.com/images/..._2000x2000.jpg
    Last edited by mckeand13; 12-19-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    Click here for the CandlePower Forums member map.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?383660

Default Re: Help with LED conversion for halogen work light

These look pretty sweet, and offer some 3500K 90CRI options. Look to be easily mounted too.

https://www.lumileds.com/uploads/600...-datasheet-pdf

(Subscribed)

If you do find a replacement or DIY solution, do share.

One replacement option that didn't work for me were those corn cob type LED replacements. Despite their indicated wattage ratings the two I tried were no where near as bright as the halogen and in the end I just went back to Halogen for that particular fixture. Figured it could still be used when I needed heat, like to melt ice or to keep warm when working in the cold

Instead I just got a new LED worklight with a large CoB similar to the one you linked, that thing is brighter and on 1/5 the power of the halogen. Now I'm actually looking to regulate downwards, probably with a new driver.
    "may you live light and phosphor" - Mr. Spark

Depending on the quality of your halogen lamp, conversion to LED may be a waste of your time, and you may be destroying something of more value to replace it with something worth hardly nothing. If it is a cheap lamp, have at it. But halogen lamps are not obsolete, and they are pretty insanely great at what they are great at, and LED lighting, LED lamps, last I saw, were dirt cheap. Knowing nothing, I'd recommend preserving your halogen work lamp as is, and picking up a cheap LED work light, then modding that cheap light with brighter or better color-rendering LEDs. Then you'll never have an opportunity for regret should you desire the light your halogen lamp provides that pretty much no LED can match, and never will.

Thanks, but as I already stated I recognize itís not the best use of time or money but I think it would be a fun project.

Still looking for LED and driver suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
    Thanks, but as I already stated I recognize itís not the best use of time or money but I think it would be a fun project.

Still looking for LED and driver suggestion.
    Right, saw that. I was really trying to get across the point that you should make certain you're not destroying something that works as it should as something of value intrinsically as well as in a strictly utilitarian sense to permanently alter and replace it with something that, though it meets your intended specification of using less power and being more efficient regarding heat spoil, sort of ultimately becomes working junk. It works, but it has little or no value. I am sure you have more restraint and skill, but on my mind was my nephew who has a curiosity that is unbounded, and this curiosity is in fact entirely destructive, with the only benefit being his entertainment and self-education, because if he gets a hold of something he is curious about, intending to make it better, it always ends in the recycle bin. Hope this does not sound patronizing, and good luck with your project.

Browse fasttech.com or mtnelectronics.com for LED drivers.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 12-19-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
    I've got one of these single bulb halogen work lights that I use once in a while. Each time I'm amazed by how hot it gets and how much energy it consumes.

Could someone recommend a big floody LED (neutral with nice color rendering) and a driver (120VAC input) so I can convert this thing? I can machine a heat sink/mount as necessary. A driver with a rheostat to control output would be a good feature but not necessary.

Probably not worth it given the price of LED work lights today but it would be a fun project.

Thanks.

https://www.northerntool.com/images/..._2000x2000.jpg
    I would pick up a Bridgelux COB from Digikey and pick the cheap shipping option. Pay attention to the specs as the rated lumens is not the maximum lumens. You can usually get at least 50% more driving them harder (and still will last a long long time). You can even get 90CRI, 5000K options .... something that halogen will never ever do ;-)

In terms of drivers, get something not too expensive off Fleabay that will support the current and likely a 30-40 or 30-42V range to match the LED. You can get a driver from Digikey as well, but mark up is comparatively high when ordering 1.

If you get a driver with 0-10V dimming, you can also wire in a cheap potentiometer for dimming. The correct pot will be dependent on the driver and it's 0-10V current, so I can't tell you what value to use.