ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Default 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Hello everyone!

I am looking for some opinions on an edc light setup.

I know I want to edc a light that takes cr123 batteries; they are reliable and I have access to a large stockpile of Surefire brand batteries.

However, I am torn between a double cell light (like the Surefire Tactician or EDCL2-T) and a single cell light (like the Surefire EDCL1-T or Streamlight 1L-1AA).

I will be using this light for normal every day tasks around the house, but I would also like to be covered if I were to respond to an incident while off duty or on call (I work in EMS/trauma and Rescue Task Force). I also want to be able to use it in a self defense situation; not as a primary method of self defense, but as an adjunct to a firearm or just general situational awareness when out late. I suppose I could use it as a striking device in an up close encounter, but thatís not my primary use.

As far as footprint goes, I want it to carry well in jeans, tactical pants, slacks, and even possibly a suit and tie without being bulky or cumbersome. I have medium sized hands, so either a single cell or a double cell will be comfortable. My chosen light would ideally have a pocket clip.

I am hoping to gain some opinions on what you would do in my situation and why. Recommendations on specific models of lights is welcomed, but not necessary. My main concern is use, ease of carry, and output to runtime ratio. Iím just worried Iíll go either too large or too small.

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

I find the smaller the better for true EDC, so single cell would be my choice. You can make it smaller still by going for a Mule design (no reflector) but sometimes you do want throw as well as flood.

One option is the BOSS from Oveready, as the head will cope with both single and double cell use so you can carry the short body as your EDC and use the double cell body for particular situations.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I find the smaller the better for true EDC, so single cell would be my choice. You can make it smaller still by going for a Mule design (no reflector) but sometimes you do want throw as well as flood.

One option is the BOSS from Oveready, as the head will cope with both single and double cell use so you can carry the short body as your EDC and use the double cell body for particular situations.
    Good point. However, the Surefire Tactician and the Streamlight 2L are almost the same size as the Surefire EDCL1-T, so I guess I can find a small or big light in either setup; Iím wondering if I will be either wishing I had the higher output or regret having a higher output.

The EDCL2T is designed to be for short bursts of very, very bright light. It gets hot fast. Like holding a handwarmer in about a minute.

The SureFire G2xPro is a good priced light that starts out with a general purpose (battery sipping) beam of about 20 lumens then a quick click turns it into a very bright light throwing out 300+ lumens. They have a newer 600 lumen version as well.

The Streamlight mentioned is very portable and is a great general use light with a double A. If extra bright is required adding a 123 makes it a very respectable bright light.

My favorite pocket sized light is by a former SureFire designer known as PK. His PR-1 is a very small 1x CR123 that puts out around 400 lumens with a 200 medium and 12 lumen low. It comes with a removable belt clip for quick deploy but removing the belt clip makes it nearly as small as the battery.

For 2 cell size I like the PK FL2 with a 650 hi and 20 lumen low or the one setting Elzetta bones that does 675 with 2 CR123's or an 18650.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    John 3:16

i carry convoys2+ 18350imr on my belt everyday, for about 1.5- 2 years, i used to carry olight s1 before, but i like s2+ beam a lot better. s1 was 400lm on paper iirc. s2+ is about 1000 on paper.

Check out HDS lights. Big for a single CR123 but you wonít regret it
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

My EDC.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Favorite is olight s1 series, like s1 mini? Haven't tried on CR123 myself tho.

I carry a Streamlight 1L-1AA, this is about as big of a light I would go with for pocket carry. These can be 10 tap programmed to high only, so there are no worries about changing modes when you don't want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    I carry a Streamlight 1L-1AA, this is about as big of a light I would go with for pocket carry. These can be 10 tap programmed to high only, so there are no worries about changing modes when you don't want it to.
    I have mine programmed for Low only for more runtime.

This light will run on an AA or 123 and with no need for adapters.
    Could be really handy if scrounging for batteries some day.

Pretty nice features for a light in this price range.

Flashaholic*

Definitely one cell. Better size for EDC and no worries about mismatched cells at high current.

--flatline

The 1xCR123 format is my favorite for EDC. No worries about finding matched pairs or accidentally mixing unlike batteries. In a pinch, you can use one that is partially depleted. I have tons of CR123's and replenish my stock regularly. No hassle with keeping rechargeables topped up for immediate use or partially depleted for long term storage. I even carry a spare CR123 in a delrin capsule on my key ring. You can get more power with the 2 cell set up, but I don't find the extra lumens necessary for most edc tasks.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Yes, single cell is safer and more reliable, as long as there is a model which provides adequate output and runtime for your purposes.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by Nephron44 View Post
    I work in EMS/trauma and Rescue Task Force
    I vote single cell and High CRI

The HDS Rotary is designed to use CR123, it also works with 16340.

HDS Tactical Rotary w raised button and silver bezel

or for a slightly less tactical emphasis
    EDC Rotary w Flush button
    or if you prefer, black bezel:

note both are High CRI, dont EMS without it

you will need a holster
    maybe you will appreciate one that carries a spare battery:

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    I vote single cell and High CRI

The HDS Rotary is designed to use CR123, it also works with 16340.

HDS Tactical Rotary w raised button and silver bezel

or for a slightly less tactical emphasis
    EDC Rotary w Flush button
    or if you prefer, black bezel:

note both are High CRI, dont EMS without it

you will need a holster
    maybe you will appreciate one that carries a spare battery:
    That looks like a pretty awesome light! However, I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry; I have a decent belt light for official duty, and Iím looking for something to carry while off duty. While I tried different methods of belt carry, my wife has the final say, especially when sheís out with me, and she vetoes anything thatís on my belt (apart from cuffs and badge when I was in L/E)

...I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry; I have a decent belt light for official duty, and Iím looking for something to carry while off duty. While I tried different methods of belt carry, my wife has the final say...
    Happy wife, happy life. There's more than one way to pocket carry. Here's my double HDS pocket slip, courtesy of Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. There have been many variations on this theme. If you dream it, Hogo will build it!

I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry
    no problem, it fits in my pocket fine, even without a clip
    or if you mean you want a clip, you have two choices

for size reference
    CR123, Olight S Mini (also uses CR123, and comes with a pocket clip), HDS Rotary

and some idea of the size of the HDS in my hand, size large
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-19-2018 at 10:53 PM.

If you're going to use the SureFire cells I'd go with the simple interface of the SF EDCL's. Oddly enough, the EDCL-2T is cheaper than the EDCL-1T when you put it in the cart at B&H these days, I've got both. I also had access to a stash of CR123's at work but had so many cells at home from light deals that I never needed more. I switched to rechargeables years ago and pack a few primaries for backup when I travel.

The EDCL-1T is plenty bright for most purposes and very pocketable. I've got perhaps a dozen of Henry's lights from HDS and a couple of other brands. The HDS Rotary is great for low level work but a little pricey and hard to get for a work light in my opinion. The clicky HDS lights have coded interfaces that I can hardly remember months or years later when I pull them out of a drawer. I can rummage around and find a SureFire L1 a decade later and I can still figure out how to turn it on.

Jon

I don't see how that last pic helps sell your idea at all?
    You can tell that the HDS is enormous next to the Olight can't you?

no problem, it fits in my pocket fine, even without a clip
    or if you mean you want a clip, you have two choices

for size reference
    CR123, Olight S Mini (also uses CR123, and comes with a pocket clip), HDS Rotary

and some idea of the size of the HDS in my hand, size large

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    the HDS is enormous next to the Olight can't you?
    correct! What light do You recommend to the OP?

All the lights the OP named in the first post are even bigger than the HDS

the Olight does not meet his stated needs, its just there for size reference

OP said:
    "I also want to be able to use it in a self defense situation; not as a primary method of self defense, but as an adjunct to a firearm or just general situational awareness when out late. I suppose I could use it as a striking device in an up close encounter"

For striking, and flash and dash techniques, the HDS is far superior..
    The Olight is tiny, and also brighter than the HDS, but the Olight is NOT High CRI, which is why Im NOT recommending it to the OP.

Good point. However, the Surefire Tactician and the Streamlight 2L are almost the same size as the Surefire EDCL1-T, so I guess I can find a small or big light in either setup; Iím wondering if I will be either wishing I had the higher output or regret having a higher output.
    I EDC the EDCL-1T and I have very similar use cases as you. I couldn't be happier with it. Having the gas pedal UI is an amazing feature. Especially if you intend to carry it for the purposes you stated. The beam is perfect and illuminates a wide area. I can't see the need for anything brighter as an EDC light. The high is just about too bright for indoor use in small rooms. And it is plenty bright for outdoor EDC tasks. I can navigate through the yard and woods on low and simply push further to light up a vast area around me on high if I choose. Can't recommend this light enough. I also run it on Rechargeables. I'm also very interested in the HDS rotary but not as an EDC light for me personally. Mostly because I don't want a holster light and the clip on it seems terrible. The EDCL-1T fits in my pocket nicely and the clip is great.
    Last edited by Lumen83; 12-20-2018 at 12:22 PM.

As tends to happen when the question arises about a single cell light suggestion, the HDS posts come out in force; in this case, there are no less than seven posts that in some way mention how an HDS light would probably work for the OP. It should be made clear that given the needs listed in the OP, there is no need to spend anywhere close to $300 for a light. Also, it was stated that the light would "ideally" have a pocket clip and we all know without needing to rehash how HDS and pocket clips get along...

The lights that were listed in the OP are more than adequate for the needs listed. The request was for help with either a 2 cell or 1 cell light. Below is a photo of a couple of lights that have been thrown about in the thread. I took the photo for size reference for the OP...

L to R: 16340 battery>FourSevens Quark QTLC>SF Backup E1B-MV>L91 battery>SL Protac 1L-1AA>SL Protac 2L-X

[IMG][/IMG]

I carry every single one of these as an EDC on different days of the week. The sizes are perfect for the footprint that the OP is looking for. The dual fuel capabilities of the Streamlights are a bonus. I use the 16340 in the SL 1L-1AA because it is much brighter than with an AA (though an L91 is pretty bright considering, and you can also use a 14500 as well). I also like using an 18650 in the SL 2L-X. That is a strong light for such a compact carry.

Here are all three in my hand (I wear a large glove):

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope this helps you with your decision. Heck. you could buy all three (the SF and both SL's) and still be less than the HDS. And know that all three light are tough little lights; you needn't worry about them breaking apart or not working. There is a reason why certain large groups of people use these lights.

Good luck!

A couple of other things to ponder...

1. The tailcap on the SF EDCL1/2-T is not a clicky. In order to get constant on, you must either twist the tailcap or purchase another tailcap to replace the original with. I donít remember reading if this was important to you or not.

2. If youíre legitimately looking for a TIR light, you may consider the Malkoff M61HOT MD2. I have this light and find it to be a perfect light when I need bright throw. You can use 123 batteries in this but the runtime would probably not be too good, but it is outstanding on an 18650.

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Jon

I don't see how that last pic helps sell your idea at all?
    You can tell that the HDS is enormous next to the Olight can't you?
    I think the Olight is just miniscule next to the HDS.
    P

Default 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Jon
    I am just trying to comprehend the idea you were going for in the pic?
    The obvious first impression was that the HDS is great because it is so handy but then you make it look positively huge next to another pretty popular light?
    So I think you know how I feel about the HDS lights but I couldn't imagine what you were really trying to get across.

If you had posted this for example and said it is the tiny one on the right it would have made sense to me!

Having said that I have to say that my first inclination is not to suggest a $300 light to someone looking for a light like the OP seems to me to be.

All of the heavier duty lights are going to be bigger and chunkier than the more run of the mill pocket rockets as your pic more than subtly suggests and so I think that is an important distinction for the OP who asks about size differences between single & double cell 123 lights for EDC use.
    The HDS is clearly twice as big as the Olight and yet produces 1/2 the lumen output essentially and costs maybe 20% of what an HDS costs.

It is all dependent on what is most important to each of us where we decide the features need to be in each light that we choose so the more comparison oriented info we can offer the better informed a choice can be made hopefully.

I think it is clear that the OP is looking for a heavier duty option as that is what he really asks about but maybe he is not familiar with the much cheaper and brighter and lighter weight offshore lights that the rest of us are too?

I also know that what is great in pocket to me may be way too honking huge for someone esle so no one can really answer this for the OP either.

What I do think though is that it would be hard to go wrong with SF,Elzetta,Malkoff or even Streamlight based on what the OP has asked about but he needs to decide how much output or runtime and what size light he thinks is practical in the end too.

correct! What light do You recommend to the OP?

All the lights the OP named in the first post are even bigger than the HDS

the Olight does not meet his stated needs, its just there for size reference

OP said:
    "I also want to be able to use it in a self defense situation; not as a primary method of self defense, but as an adjunct to a firearm or just general situational awareness when out late. I suppose I could use it as a striking device in an up close encounter"

For striking, and flash and dash techniques, the HDS is far superior..
    The Olight is tiny, and also brighter than the HDS, but the Olight is NOT High CRI, which is why Im NOT recommending it to the OP.
    Last edited by AVService; 12-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.

I only use single cell for EDC. I don't want to have to find 2 cells, I don't want to carry 2 backup cells, it is more reliable...Now if you want a weapon...I don't know.

Malkoff MDC with an E2 Scout Head.
    You can use a single or double CR123 tube and it will also run a 16650.
    Built like a brick sh*thouse but not as smelly.
    Mrs. Yeti takes one everywhere with her, if I remember to remind her.
    P

The lower flashlight of the two shown below is what I generally use for EDC while travelling ...

Peak Logan 17500 (next to the smaller El Capitan) is bright, efficient, durable, reliable, and runs on CR123A / AA / AAA (or rechargeable versions of those) ... as well as 17500 cells, of course.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I am looking for some opinions on an edc light setup.
    you may also find this site helpful:
    Parametrek Product Search Flashlights
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-20-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Deleted
    Last edited by Modernflame; 12-21-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast