2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I am looking for some opinions on an edc light setup.

I know I want to edc a light that takes cr123 batteries; they are reliable and I have access to a large stockpile of Surefire brand batteries.

However, I am torn between a double cell light (like the Surefire Tactician or EDCL2-T) and a single cell light (like the Surefire EDCL1-T or Streamlight 1L-1AA).

I will be using this light for normal every day tasks around the house, but I would also like to be covered if I were to respond to an incident while off duty or on call (I work in EMS/trauma and Rescue Task Force). I also want to be able to use it in a self defense situation; not as a primary method of self defense, but as an adjunct to a firearm or just general situational awareness when out late. I suppose I could use it as a striking device in an up close encounter, but that's not my primary use.

As far as footprint goes, I want it to carry well in jeans, tactical pants, slacks, and even possibly a suit and tie without being bulky or cumbersome. I have medium sized hands, so either a single cell or a double cell will be comfortable. My chosen light would ideally have a pocket clip.

I am hoping to gain some opinions on what you would do in my situation and why. Recommendations on specific models of lights is welcomed, but not necessary. My main concern is use, ease of carry, and output to runtime ratio. I'm just worried I'll go either too large or too small.

Thanks!

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I find the smaller the better for true EDC, so single cell would be my choice. You can make it smaller still by going for a Mule design (no reflector) but sometimes you do want throw as well as flood.

One option is the BOSS from Oveready, as the head will cope with both single and double cell use so you can carry the short body as your EDC and use the double cell body for particular situations.

Nephron44

Enlightened
I find the smaller the better for true EDC, so single cell would be my choice. You can make it smaller still by going for a Mule design (no reflector) but sometimes you do want throw as well as flood.

One option is the BOSS from Oveready, as the head will cope with both single and double cell use so you can carry the short body as your EDC and use the double cell body for particular situations.

Good point. However, the Surefire Tactician and the Streamlight 2L are almost the same size as the Surefire EDCL1-T, so I guess I can find a small or big light in either setup; I'm wondering if I will be either wishing I had the higher output or regret having a higher output.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The EDCL2T is designed to be for short bursts of very, very bright light. It gets hot fast. Like holding a handwarmer in about a minute.

The SureFire G2xPro is a good priced light that starts out with a general purpose (battery sipping) beam of about 20 lumens then a quick click turns it into a very bright light throwing out 300+ lumens. They have a newer 600 lumen version as well.

The Streamlight mentioned is very portable and is a great general use light with a double A. If extra bright is required adding a 123 makes it a very respectable bright light.

My favorite pocket sized light is by a former SureFire designer known as PK. His PR-1 is a very small 1x CR123 that puts out around 400 lumens with a 200 medium and 12 lumen low. It comes with a removable belt clip for quick deploy but removing the belt clip makes it nearly as small as the battery.

For 2 cell size I like the PK FL2 with a 650 hi and 20 lumen low or the one setting Elzetta bones that does 675 with 2 CR123's or an 18650.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i carry convoys2+ 18350imr on my belt everyday, for about 1.5- 2 years, i used to carry olight s1 before, but i like s2+ beam a lot better. s1 was 400lm on paper iirc. s2+ is about 1000 on paper.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
8-A56-C47-D-9560-4924-AD62-BB7400-E76148.jpg

My EDC.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Streamlight 1L-1AA, this is about as big of a light I would go with for pocket carry. These can be 10 tap programmed to high only, so there are no worries about changing modes when you don't want it to.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Streamlight 1L-1AA, this is about as big of a light I would go with for pocket carry. These can be 10 tap programmed to high only, so there are no worries about changing modes when you don't want it to.
I have mine programmed for Low only for more runtime.

This light will run on an AA or 123 and with no need for adapters.
Could be really handy if scrounging for batteries some day.

Pretty nice features for a light in this price range.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely one cell. Better size for EDC and no worries about mismatched cells at high current.

--flatline

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1xCR123 format is my favorite for EDC. No worries about finding matched pairs or accidentally mixing unlike batteries. In a pinch, you can use one that is partially depleted. I have tons of CR123's and replenish my stock regularly. No hassle with keeping rechargeables topped up for immediate use or partially depleted for long term storage. I even carry a spare CR123 in a delrin capsule on my key ring. You can get more power with the 2 cell set up, but I don't find the extra lumens necessary for most edc tasks.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, single cell is safer and more reliable, as long as there is a model which provides adequate output and runtime for your purposes.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in EMS/trauma and Rescue Task Force

I vote single cell and High CRI

The HDS Rotary is designed to use CR123, it also works with 16340.

HDS Tactical Rotary w raised button and silver bezel

or for a slightly less tactical emphasis
EDC Rotary w Flush button
or if you prefer, black bezel:
brGzCbs.jpg

note both are High CRI, dont EMS without it

you will need a holster
maybe you will appreciate one that carries a spare battery:
4JyFJlT.jpg

Nephron44

Enlightened
I vote single cell and High CRI

The HDS Rotary is designed to use CR123, it also works with 16340.

HDS Tactical Rotary w raised button and silver bezel

or for a slightly less tactical emphasis
EDC Rotary w Flush button
or if you prefer, black bezel:
brGzCbs.jpg

note both are High CRI, dont EMS without it

you will need a holster
maybe you will appreciate one that carries a spare battery:
4JyFJlT.jpg

That looks like a pretty awesome light! However, I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry; I have a decent belt light for official duty, and I'm looking for something to carry while off duty. While I tried different methods of belt carry, my wife has the final say, especially when she's out with me, and she vetoes anything that's on my belt (apart from cuffs and badge when I was in L/E)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry; I have a decent belt light for official duty, and I'm looking for something to carry while off duty. While I tried different methods of belt carry, my wife has the final say...

Happy wife, happy life. There's more than one way to pocket carry. Here's my double HDS pocket slip, courtesy of Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. There have been many variations on this theme. If you dream it, Hogo will build it!

Leather4.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely need to be able to pocket carry

no problem, it fits in my pocket fine, even without a clip
or if you mean you want a clip, you have two choices
r3dT6cJ.png

for size reference
CR123, Olight S Mini (also uses CR123, and comes with a pocket clip), HDS Rotary
2l8LRCy.jpg

and some idea of the size of the HDS in my hand, size large

Last edited:

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to use the SureFire cells I'd go with the simple interface of the SF EDCL's. Oddly enough, the EDCL-2T is cheaper than the EDCL-1T when you put it in the cart at B&H these days, I've got both. I also had access to a stash of CR123's at work but had so many cells at home from light deals that I never needed more. I switched to rechargeables years ago and pack a few primaries for backup when I travel.

The EDCL-1T is plenty bright for most purposes and very pocketable. I've got perhaps a dozen of Henry's lights from HDS and a couple of other brands. The HDS Rotary is great for low level work but a little pricey and hard to get for a work light in my opinion. The clicky HDS lights have coded interfaces that I can hardly remember months or years later when I pull them out of a drawer. I can rummage around and find a SureFire L1 a decade later and I can still figure out how to turn it on.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon

I don't see how that last pic helps sell your idea at all?
You can tell that the HDS is enormous next to the Olight can't you?:poke:

no problem, it fits in my pocket fine, even without a clip
or if you mean you want a clip, you have two choices
r3dT6cJ.png

for size reference
CR123, Olight S Mini (also uses CR123, and comes with a pocket clip), HDS Rotary
2l8LRCy.jpg

and some idea of the size of the HDS in my hand, size large

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the HDS is enormous next to the Olight can't you?:poke:

correct! What light do You recommend to the OP?

All the lights the OP named in the first post are even bigger than the HDS

the Olight does not meet his stated needs, its just there for size reference

OP said:
"I also want to be able to use it in a self defense situation; not as a primary method of self defense, but as an adjunct to a firearm or just general situational awareness when out late. I suppose I could use it as a striking device in an up close encounter"

For striking, and flash and dash techniques, the HDS is far superior..
The Olight is tiny, and also brighter than the HDS, but the Olight is NOT High CRI, which is why Im NOT recommending it to the OP.