The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Default Re: 2 Cell or 1 Cell Cr123 for EDC?

Honestly, the right choice for each individual would depend on the light, what they needed it for, and how big of a light they're willing to tote around. I like the Streamlight Protac 2L-X. Unlike other dual-mode lights, the lower setting doesn't get in my way when I need the higher one. Geared more for throw than flood, but still has very good flood. Can be re-programed with any settings you want.... even made into a 500 lumen single output light. Good clip. Dual battery options. 1x18650 or 2xCR123. Even better, Streamlight now offers 18650 batteries that can be recharged with a simple USB cable, directly!

So now I can carry an SL 18650 in the light, and (thanks to ordering a delrin 18650 battery locker from a certain site) I can carry a spare SL 18650 battery with me. Put a split-ring on the top cover of the locker, followed by a small carabiner, and I can carry that spare cell clipped to a belt loop. Need to use the spare cell? Put the spent one in the locker. No need to fumble around for a place to put the dead one until you've got a chance to recharge it.

Based on all of the above, that particular 2xCR123 light works best for me as a main EDC light. So much so, I ordered a 2nd one just like it awhile back. Just in case SL decides to "improve" it or discontinue it down the road.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I like the single cell format. I EDC the Nitecore EA11, a single AA/14500 light. I carry on my belt, and the light is so small I don't usually realize it is there at all. Nitecore makes a companion light, the EC11, that uses a single CR123/IMR18650/RCR123 cell.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Single cell for sure if for off duty/pocket carry. I'm an olingt fan. the S series are all very nice. The S mini is absolutely tiny, disappears in your pocket or also has a deep carry clip. ITs bigger brother, the S1R still very small also the same pocket carry or clip but just a little larger and will give a little more output. And by a little more I meant 1000 lumens on turbo out of a 2.5 inch 2oz light running a recharable cr123. I think output on a primary 123A is slightly less but still very high.

Thanks for all of the responses! I picked up a Surefire EDCL2-T from a local dealer because they didnít have the EDCL1-T in stock. The latter will be arriving today in the mail I really liked the format of these lights and figured I would EDC each for a while and see what I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephron44 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses! I picked up a Surefire EDCL2-T from a local dealer because they didnít have the EDCL1-T in stock. The latter will be arriving today in the mail I really liked the format of these lights and figured I would EDC each for a while and see what I like best.
    Good choices! I've carried both quite a bit over the past year. The -2T is larger in the pocket of course but it feels so good in the hand in my opinion. On rechargeable cells the -2T has a low setting that seems to be at least 30 lumens, plenty for most tasks with the 1200 lumen afterburner high mode readily available if needed.

I tried a 16650 in my 2T, which really cut back the high. Yet it was able to run fine without feeling so warm. I figured 600-800 lumens but still a great output.
    John 3:16

Unenlightened

Definitly Single Cell. I Carry a SF E1B MV Backup (1 x CR123A) or an Olight I3T (it runs with an AAA battery, so maybe not your choice).
    Maybe a Olight Warrior Mini If Rechargeable with magnetic charger and i think it runs with 18650 is an Option.

It all comes down to what size you're comfortable with. I have been using a single cell CR123 with 330 max lumens but normally only need half output at about 150 lumens for most things. the higher output would only be used for searching or forgetting somebody's attention. When I got is from LAPG on sale for $20 down from $35 but moving forward I would suggest supporting a forum vendor. just make sure that it's got regulated output so that it maintains its brightness through the life of the battery.

I would probably go with the Prometheus Mini Turbo MKIII (currently on sale) if going single-cell. Duel fuel (CR123A or RCR123) with an XPL-HI and six mode groups.

I have moved into both the "dual fuel" and single cell camps over the last year or two, finding that the single cell lights have improved to the point where I really don't feel handicapped by them.

Now I wish there was a way I could turn my LED conversion G2 and my wife's G2X Pro into single-cell lights.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCobweb View Post
    I have moved into both the "dual fuel" and single cell camps over the last year or two, finding that the single cell lights have improved to the point where I really don't feel handicapped by them.

Now I wish there was a way I could turn my LED conversion G2 and my wife's G2X Pro into single-cell lights.
    16650s.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12