HDS Systems        

Thread: Whatís your favorite 14500 flashlight

Default Whatís your favorite 14500 flashlight

Iím looking for a 14500/aa light to complement my surefire edcl1-t. Iím looking mostly for a task light and would like to get peopleís recommendations. My only requirements are that it has a bezel down pocket clip and has the option to come on in high mode first. Iím not 100% sure on that last part but Iíve seemed to always gravitate towards lights that can come on in high mode.

Default Re: Whatís your favorite 14500 flashlight

Reylight?

I EDC the Nitecore EA11, a single AA/14500 cell light, with a supplementary red led as well. The clip is bi-directional [default is bezel down deep carry, but it can be reversed for bezel up deep carry as well], and the light has mode memory, so it will come on in whichever mode it was last used with.
    Last edited by Timothybil; 12-20-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Unenlightened

Eagletac D25a mk2 clicky. I will probably pick up a d3a soon. Love the light. It is really compact. If the bezel is tight it starts on high.

Zebralight SC52. Comes on in high, customizable modes. Good efficiency.

I'll second the Eagletac D25A MKII Clicky, just received one yesterday and the mode separation is better than the previous models.
    Fenix TK50,TK41,TK40,L2D,L1D,L0D,LD01,LD41,LD20,LD15,LD1 0,LD05,HP10,HP15|ZebraLight SC51,SC62w,SC600w,SC600Fd|EagleTac D25A,D25A2,MX25L3C,T25C2,D25LC2|Nitecore TM16,EAX,MT1A,MT2A,EZ AA,IFD2,T5s,D4|47's Mini AA,AA≤,"X"AA≤,Pro QPA|JetBeam E3S|Spark SD52-NW,SD73-CW, SD6-460-NW,SL6-740NW| List of Lights

D3a or D25a mk2 (same electronics) would be my recommendation. Have had several versions for almost 5 years now. Love these lights!

Sc52 seconded but id go with the sc52w. Fantasic light.

Flashaholic

Zebralight SC 52cw. Excellent, small pocket light.

Wuben E05 might be an option. Direct access to Turbo from off.

Iíve been wanting an SC53w. With the recent improvement in 14500 cells Iíd be interested in the SC52 but it looks like thatís only available in cw now.

THRUNITE T10 NW. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED. it's my favorite 'go to ' light! on 14500 it is bright and beautiful. what a beam!

ZL H52Fw

SC52d is my top pick.

Lumintop Tool 2.0, which I love because I shut if off in the highest mode (650-lumens) and it comes on in the same mode. Not sure if its clip is what you like but maybe you could switch one out?

Got a price range in mind ?

For a production light, I like the Peak (El Capitan or Logan)

For custom lights, I like these McGizmos ...

Last edited by archimedes; 01-09-2019 at 11:59 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by low View Post
    SC52d is my top pick.
    Agreed. I also think that no longer supporting 14500 is the worst decision Zebralight has ever made with their AA lights.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Agreed. I also think that no longer supporting 14500 is the worst decision Zebralight has ever made with their AA lights.
    Same here I am baffled by this?

SC52w every day.

You got that right. It supersedes dumb and goes straight to stupid.

Flashaholic*

Agreed, I guess their reasoning was that the SC63/4 lights are so small people would go to them instead? I know that even with 14500 support, i found myself not using the SC52 as much and gravitating toward the 18650 lights. Still, if they would just focus on making the AA lights smaller and still suppport 4500 i think they wouldn't alienate their original market base.

Oh yeah, add me to the SC52(w or c) recommendation if you can find one.

I've only had one and it was a Malkoff MDC--orange. I sold it to a co-worker when I got my 16500 MDC in June of 2015. I get to see him use the 14500 MDC all the time.
    Malkoff Wildcat in V4 HD XM-L, V5 & HD Super (all using MD4 body), MD2 M61NL, MDC TurnKey HA XP-L, MDC 1CR123, OVEREADY Boss 70 Copperite V5, Veleno Designs Quantum D2 and Prometheus Alpha

From a business perspective, supporting 14500 batteries is a cost without a benefit for Zebralight. The 500 lumen range that ZL got the SC5 to perform at is incredibly useful for an EDC light, and the fact that these lights can suck so much light out of a cheap, widely available AA battery is very appealing to many flashlight users, including casual ones, and 95% of consumers are casual/not well versed in the hobby. If the light were able to boost its lumens by 50% with an optional 14500 li-ion cell, that would be great, but...I think that when talking about the use of 14500 batteries, it's important to acknowledge that the flashlight as a product has now changed. Whereas a AA flashlight has broad appeal to the general public, which mostly consists of people who don't know much about lithium ion batteries aside from that they're expensive, they need special chargers, they catch fire, etc., when you start talking about the people a 14500 flashlight appeals to, that's mainly going to be flashlight hobbyists, who make up only 5% of consumers (I know I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air, but I think we can agree that there is some common sense behind them). Moreover, it's not all flashlight hobbyists that would buy a 14500 ZL--just the ones who are well versed in ZL's product catalog. They would know that ZL makes 18650 flashlights that produce more lumens and have longer run times despite being about the same size and weight as the AA/14500 dual fuel light. And you're thinking that by NOT catering to them, ZL made not only a bad decision, but "the worst decision"?? I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tejasandre View Post
    Reylight?
    I'm liking the ReyLight Brass V3 Pineapple myself.

Default Whatís your favorite 14500 flashlight

If it felt like they did make 18650 lights about the same size & weight as AA lights then I might agree with you but they are not close when in pocket to me.

Even the SC5 feels huge compared to the SC52 to me which is why I never use mine and jump to the SC64 instead.

The smaller the light,the bigger even small differences seem to my pocket carry.

Also why even make both SC53 and SC5 and not have the SC53 also have a similar output capability?

Quote Originally Posted by koziy View Post
    From a business perspective, supporting 14500 batteries is a cost without a benefit for Zebralight. The 500 lumen range that ZL got the SC5 to perform at is incredibly useful for an EDC light, and the fact that these lights can suck so much light out of a cheap, widely available AA battery is very appealing to many flashlight users, including casual ones, and 95% of consumers are casual/not well versed in the hobby. If the light were able to boost its lumens by 50% with an optional 14500 li-ion cell, that would be great, but...I think that when talking about the use of 14500 batteries, it's important to acknowledge that the flashlight as a product has now changed. Whereas a AA flashlight has broad appeal to the general public, which mostly consists of people who don't know much about lithium ion batteries aside from that they're expensive, they need special chargers, they catch fire, etc., when you start talking about the people a 14500 flashlight appeals to, that's mainly going to be flashlight hobbyists, who make up only 5% of consumers (I know I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air, but I think we can agree that there is some common sense behind them). Moreover, it's not all flashlight hobbyists that would buy a 14500 ZL--just the ones who are well versed in ZL's product catalog. They would know that ZL makes 18650 flashlights that produce more lumens and have longer run times despite being about the same size and weight as the AA/14500 dual fuel light. And you're thinking that by NOT catering to them, ZL made not only a bad decision, but "the worst decision"?? I don't agree.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Also why even make both SC53 and SC5 and not have the SC53 also have a similar output capability?
    I think when the SC5 came out, it was a definite improvement over the SC52 on a AA Eneloop (double the output, and flat regulation on the highest mode), at the cost of a larger size. But, yeah, I'm not sure why when they introduced the SC53, they didn't use the driver of the SC5. I speculate that the SC5 driver is too big to fit inside the smaller SC53 head.

I do wish they continued support for 14500 on the SC53, even if it meant sacrificing a small amount of efficiency. I suppose they figure that people using the 1xAA size are almost exclusively going to use a AA cell (not 14500). And, to be fair, I use Eneloops in my SC52's about 95% of the time.

ArmyTek Partner A1