Did minor surgery on my Arc pouch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
The velcro on my Arc LS pouch just wore out after daily use since last year. I never was very pleased with the velcro's "hold ability" anyway but I liked using the pouch while at work. I decided after over 3 weeks of using my Arc 4 second that I preferred my LSH-S with twisty pack to use while working (still carry the Arc 4 when not working). I needed to fix the closure on my pouch now, so I decided to use a snap. See picture:
arcpouchmod.jpg

I just had to carefully cut the stitching for the velcro and trim as needed. A package of snaps with included punches came from wally world for under $3. There's still enough room to add a second snap above the current one so it can be closed properly over a clicky pack - but in my case the clicky pack is likely retired for good because of the Arc 4. The bad part - the Arc logo had to be covered over. Wish I could have figured out a way around that.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
To save your logo you could have put the top piece of the snap on a small piece of stiff material and then sewn the piece of material to the underside of the flap. If you haven't done it already, you might want to add some type of protection inside the pouch behind the snap to protect your ARC when you press on the snap to close it.

They make different grades of "velcro". 3M makes a product that has 5 times the holding power of traditional hook and loop fasteners. It uses mushroom shaped fasteners and you can actually hear them snap.

Sometimes when we think that velcro has worn out, all that it takes to fix it is to clean out debris that has accumulated with tweezers.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I might just try this out along with kitelites idea of saving the ARC logo. My worn out pouch has been staying home due to my laziness of not replacing the worn out velcro. I even bought some rare earth magnets in attempt for a super hold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
After I posted I did think that if I had not cut out the stiff hook-side velcro stuff on the flap, I could have just cut the sticthing on one side, and punched a hole through the hook material and slid the cap between the fabric of the flap and the hook material. The size of the snap cap might just be too large for this to look neat though, we'll just have to see if somebody else is willing to try.

I did use some fabric tape to cover the back of the snap in the pouch. The proper technique to engage the snap is to grab the snaps between the fingers and pinch together, not pushing on the flashlight.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Developed similar problem with mine lately, bought a pack of precut adhesive-backed velcro pieces. Applied one of these to the lower part of the velcro on the pouch body today, just using the adhesive. Holding good so far, if it starts to loosen, going to try and sew one of the precut pieces over the existing velcro.

was_jlh

Enlightened
Well, that didn't work. When opening the pouch this morning, the adhesive on the replacement velcro was apparently stronger than the stitching on the original body velcro. It ripped out about a third of the threading on the body velcro. Just finished removing the original velcro piece from the body, tucked the flap inside the pouch for today. Will try sewing new velcro piece on the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.