New Journey in LED Flashlight - Advise

Oldmonk

Newly Enlightened
GtHnvnj
Hi All - I am new to the flashlight world. Currently ordered an EC 21 from nitecore, yet to test it. My main purpose for using a flashlight is for my night hiking and would need a flash with good battery run time, flood and throw. I am not sure if the EC 21 would suffice for this, but had no other options.

Hence, went to AliExpress and ordered a Alonefire E700, you can google this. The seller told me it comes with an Cree XPL V6. Any review on this flashlight? Also, is the image of the lens an original cree XPL V6? Please clarify.

Thanks
GtHnvnj

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Oldmonk, and welcome to CPF,
Well, you have already ordered the Nitecore EC 21 flashlight, so you will know soon enough whether it fills your needs. I don't own the EC21, but Nitecore is a well thought of company and it appears to be a fine flashlight.

As far as the Alonefire E700, I only found an Alonefire G700, and it was listed as having an XM-L2 V6 LED, which it probably does. The problem with these Asian off-brand lights is that their quality control is typically not all that good, so you might get a good light, or you might not. Also, sometimes their materials and/or construction techniques are not very good, so the light might work ok for a week or a few months and then suddenly fail. We usually recommend staying with name brand lights.

As far as a hiking light goes, many CPF members prefer to wear headlamps when hiking, as it leaves both hands free for other duties. Also, some members will wear a headlamp that has a wide floody beam for seeing what is right in front of them and to the sides, but will also carry a handheld flashlight that has a narrower, more throwy beam for seeing farther down the trail.

I recommend that you spend some more time reading reviews on this site before purchasing any more lights.

Also, since the lights you are mentioning have the capability to use lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, I would recommend that you spend some time learning about the safe way to handle, use, and charge those batteries. They are small and powerful and potentially dangerous if not handled with care, however, by following some general guidelines, you can safely use them for many years. Be sure and check out the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" area here on CPF for further information.

So, my recommendation is to spend as much time as you can reading reviews and threads of interest here on CPF, and slowly you will begin to get a better feel for which flashlights will suit your needs best. Hopefully some other members will chime in with specific suggestions. Good luck and have fun : )

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Oldmonk,
Your doing just fine with an EC21. As you use it you will find pluses and minuses with it. Then you will buy another light that is different until you end up with what is best for you.
Like Derek said, most hikers like the headlamp small thrower combo for hiking. You also end up with a backup light that way Incase of a failure.
I laugh at the hiker gear stores lights. Plastic, low output, and uses AAA batteries. Then the other lantern lights so you can stay awake in your tent reading a good book after your hike.
I'm usually so tired after hiking I will look at a map for 5 minutes and fall asleep.
You have already made a good decision in your purchase. Enjoy.

Latest posts