New weaponlight or upgrade??

TheDude315

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Streamlight TLR 1 on my AR. When I worked in LE they had specific requirements for rifle carriers. They also required Eotechs.. which I'm not a fan of. I replaced the Eotech with a Trijicon MRO and I'm much happier. I now want to transfer the Streamlight to one of my Glocks as the 300 lumens is more for handgun distances. I have 2 Surefire G series. One is the LED with the front bezel that cant be removed. I think it's the 320 lumen version. This wont put out the lumens that I need, but I want to change the tail cap to a McClicky system. Is there a ready to go part or do I need to buy the parts and disassemble? Piercing the tail cap button is not something I want to do.

The other is an old G2Z that was originally incandescent. I would like to upgrade this as much as feasible to keep in my wife's car. It has the totally polymer body. So I need the lamp upgrade and the Mcclicky upgrade. I love the sturdiness of these lights and the size. I also like the various mounting options. I would like some suggestions from you guys as to what to buy/build. I would prefer a polymer. I need something that will do 800 lumens or better. I dont need a long continuous run time. I dont see myself having it on for more than 120 seconds continuous. I understand that the polymer lights dont dissipate heat like metal ones. That being said the light must be water resistant and have no problems in heavy rain and able to take some knocks. I can cerakote the body if it is not polymer/non metal, but I will need parts that are capable of disassembly if that is the route. I see a Surefire M600 that puts out 1000 lumens for about $230 and I'm willing to pay that if you guys say that's the way to go. I'd really love one of those systems that steps down output after 30 or 60 seconds or whatever. If I'm being honest I would LOVE to build something and I'm very good with DIY just about anything. Most recently I built a high output LED fixture for my high tech aquarium utilizing various LED spectrum diodes, custom heat sink, Mean well high output drivers and Power supply as well as a custom controller.
I really appreciate the help.

TheDude315

Newly Enlightened
No opinions?? I looked at the M600 videos and it looks like it comes with a picatinny mount for $230.. I also saw that Malkoff has an M61HOT MD2 that people are raving about.. 740 lumens out the front... I'm curious as to how his 740 lumens compares to Surefires 1000 lumens..
Also I would like to know if you guys have suggestions for a flip up red lense to mount on the light.
I adore Surefire products. I have 2 of their muzzlebreaks mounted on my rifles and one of their suppressors. I expect that Malkoff's products are of equal or better quality.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
This is not really an answer to your question, but I have several Olight PL Minis and PL-2 full sized Valkyries. These lights do everything that I need them for a lot less money than Surefire.

I sold both of my Surefire XC1's as the the Mini PL is superior in beam and switch functionality. The PL-2, at 1200 lumens with a nice balance of spot and spill will readily suffice for carbine applications.

I have a bunch of Streamlight TLR1's and holsters to go with them so, I am going to keep using them as well.

I bought all of my Olights on sale which allowed me to purchase several back ups just in case...

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For what you're looking for, your two best options as far as a light mounted on your AR from experienced companies that make weapon-lights and have been around for a very long time are going to be; the SureFire M600 Ultra Scout light at 1,000 lumens or The Streamlight Protac HL-X Rail mount variation. Also rated at 1,000 lumens.

Keep in mind that the HL-X's rating is going to be surprisingly similar to the M600's in this particular case. I've seen side-by-side comparison videos of the two. Due to the HL-X's bigger reflector, the beam pattern it puts out actually is a bit better than what you get from the M600. The HL-X is only about an ounce heavier.

The M600 is going to have the better finish. The HL-X is going to have the incredibly HUGE advantage in price. You can find the HL-X online for just over $100. And that includes literally everything you need to attach it to your AR, right in the packaging from Streamlight. That's not the case from SureFire. They make you buy each individual part you need, separately. By the time you're done, you're looking at around $400, if you go with the SureFire option.

If you want a more stable base for the tape switch of either light to rest in, check out Cloud Defensive.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the rifle light, Nitecore has a couple of lights they sell with a hunting kit of light, mount, remote switch, red and green filters, and the lights that aren't USB charging come with a separate charger.
I believe Ebay carries some pre-made McClicky tail caps for the G2 series lights.

NorCal707

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Olight PL2- Valkyrie as a replacement for the AR light?

This is not really an answer to your question, but I have several Olight PL Minis and PL-2 full sized Valkyries. These lights do everything that I need them for a lot less money than Surefire.

I sold both of my Surefire XC1's as the the Mini PL is superior in beam and switch functionality. The PL-2, at 1200 lumens with a nice balance of spot and spill will readily suffice for carbine applications.

I have a bunch of Streamlight TLR1's and holsters to go with them so, I am going to keep using them as well.

I bought all of my Olights on sale which allowed me to purchase several back ups just in case...

I just picked up a PL-2 Valkyrie on the killer sale Olight had before Christmas. For a little less than $50, I am beyond impressed with the light's performance and quality.