Please Recommend: Arctic Circle Adventure Light

WrecklessDerek

Newly Enlightened
Dear Thee Illuminated,

My nephew is going on an school-sponsored adventure trip to the Arctic Circle and I would like to get him a high quality flashlight. He will be doing some camping and hiking (in freezing cold temperatures) but, beyond that, I'm not sure. Therefore, most of these criteria are guesses so, if you know better than me, please feel free to veto.

I would say the overriding concerns are:

-Long run-time (little-to-no access to batteries)
-Withstand freezing cold
-Hold up to possibly being dropped in the snow
-Emergency (beacon/SOS) settings

Hope you can help!

Sincerely,

Derek

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $200.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't know.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____Other: Backpack / Freezing cold

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will recommend a Malkoff MD2 with an M61 drop in and a pair of CR123 cells.
It's a completely bulletproof light and CR123s are more or less impervious to cold, unlike Li-ions.
It has just two levels which are controlled by twisting the head - no Disco modes I'm afraid, but I would imagine they may be of limited value - I'm sure someone else will correct me.
Malkoff make M61s with various lower outputs and longer runtimes. Again someone more knowledgable than I will be able to help.
Post in the Malkoff thread with any questions...
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ff-Junkie-thread-Part-2&p=5268480#post5268480
If you subscribe to the Malkoff site - malkoffdevices.com you'll get a discount code which will help offset the shipping cost.
I know it's an expensive light for something without bells and whistles, but its simplicity is what makes it so reliable.
Good luck finding The One, and well done on such a good idea for a present.
P

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you need or want beacon / strobe mode(s) , might check out HDS.

A bit over budget purchased new, but the programmable features may be worth it to you.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
As much as I love hds lights"they really are top of the line and rugged as hell" I would second the MD2 combo. There is really not much that can go wrong with them.you got a potted LED, a battery tube and a quick to change out switch. they don't have all the fancy electronic in them to control this and that and it's just one more thing that can and will go wrong. That being said I would never go on any adventure without a hds but it would probably take the place of my bombproof secondary light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The MD2 combo is indeed excellent. Whatever you choose though, a light based around CR123 cells would be the way to go since those cells love the cold. Just make sure you get ones that are made in America, or Made in Japan. Avoid the no-name CR123s from China and elsewhere since those are dangerous junk with the potential to vent with flame. (Pretty much explode inside of the light.)

GoVegan

Enlightened
Camping and even hiking (to a lesser extent) will usually require the use of both hands, no flashlight is as convenient as a headlamp. Also no worries about holding while wearing warm think gloves, and less lightly to lose.

So I'd recommend something like a Petzl Tikka, you can also get a USB rechageable lithium battery pack for it, and can carry rechargeable Eneloops or Fujitsu AAA batteries for backup, which are good down to -20 C (alkalines are only good down to 0 C). The red secondary LED is great for in the middle of the night, and come with strobe options too for safefy. As a small bonus, has a whistle integrated into the back of the strap.

My Petzl Tikka XP (80 lumen model) has lasted me years through more hikes and climbs, trips and night runs than I can count, cheaper that most of my flashlights too. The new modesl are about 250 lumens.
Plastic, but very tough, and can withstand the cold. I've used mine in about -10 C and up to nearly 4000M high, my model was also recommended by one of the famous Everest team leaders.
Not IPX8 waterproof, but it doesn't need to be unless I planned to go diving with it, which I don't. I've used in heavy rain all the time, never had an issue.
Petzl also sell a semi-hard case too, which I have and recommend.

Remember also have a backup light for any adventure too, in my case I always carry (in fact EDC) a 'Petzl e+LITE' too.

Don't get me wrong I love my handhelds for EDC, but for any trip, I always take headlamps for practicality.

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened
Do you know what country we are talking about, and closer location and month? This matter because of the actual temperatures we talk about. I live in Arctic Norway, and can say right away that you probably don't need special batteries because of cold here. I can also say that CR123 cells are NOT available in most gas stations and grocery stores. And for hiking and camping, what you do need is a headlamp, not a flashlight, any day of the year (and you can use the headlamp as a flashlight anyway)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would suggest what I know and will say 2 Zebra Lights.

I would get a Headlamp and a standard light that share the same batteries,whichever you think will be easiest to carry in the bulk that he will need.
You said you want a strobe and I can understand being in the Arctic Cold and maybe needing the Strobe.
The ZL can also be had in several Tint options and I would get the friendliest one considering the chance for walking through snow the whole time or not?
I would prefer a warmer or neutral tint if outside in White all night long.
Zebra is known as one of the most battery efficient lines sold too.
Also more than anything the ZL have been entirely bullet proof for me.

I also love Malkoff but no Strobe might be a dealbreaker and for obvious reasons I would think.