Manker E14 BLF A6 UI Issue

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey guys. I was learning this Toykeeper firmware UI on the Manker E14 and somehow it got stuck in a single mode. No amount of taps or clicks seem to change things, nor does removing the battery. I have no idea what I did. Has anyone seen this behavior and can I fix it? I feel like a huge dummy! Thanks!

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the battery fully charged?

My Folomov 18650S exhibits the same, very annoying, behavior when the battery is low, but goes away after being fully charged.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it single mode on max? That is usually a sign of the driver being shorted out of circuit.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for posting!

Is the battery fully charged?

My Folomov 18650S exhibits the same, very annoying, behavior when the battery is low, but goes away after being fully charged.

Yes, I tried a couple cells at >4.1v.

Is it single mode on max? That is usually a sign of the driver being shorted out of circuit.

It is a high output, can't say for sure that it is the max or not. But yes, one single mode. How would this have happened? I was just sitting on the sofa reading the chart and clicking through the modes. I turned it off, then when I turned it back on I had the single mode. It seemed to be functional just before that. Where would the short likely be? If I take the bezel off the copper head would I see the problem visually?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a couple of poor engineering decisions that went into the E14 but see if the solder joints on the PCB result in a short to the body

nbp

Flashaholic
Gotcha, thanks. I will pull it apart tomorrow and let you know what I find.

nbp

Flashaholic
Okey dokey. So I removed the bezel, lens, and optics to look at the quad star. I don't see anything out of place, such as stray solder blobs or bits of errant metal or anything. I tried to removed what appeared to be a retaining ring in the head by the battery spring with my snap ring pliers. It turned a little then seemed to get stuck and I wasn't able to turn it more. I didn't want to crank on it too much for fear of marring the soft copper threads but I imagine if there were a problem it would be in there. If I can get that retaining ring out is the driver loose in there or is it locktited in? If it's glued in I think I will be in over my head before too long.

pc_light

Enlightened
Silly question but - could you be stuck in the "Hidden" Turbo mode after inadvertantly entering the Config Mode?

To re-enter Config, "tap" repeatedly (15+ times) until light no longer seems to come On. Then after a couple of blinks, turn Off, which will put you in different mode group. And start again from there.

Good luck.

nbp

Flashaholic
Nichia: Because as of now I still don't know exactly what the problem is. It seemed that with the series of clicks I had locked into some kind of single mode programming, and I thought I could undo it with a series of clicks. If it is in fact a damaged board I would have to see if it is even something within my skill level to repair.

nbp

Flashaholic
Silly question but - could you be stuck in the "Hidden" Turbo mode after inadvertantly entering the Config Mode?

To re-enter Config, "tap" repeatedly (15+ times) until light no longer seems to come On. Then after a couple of blinks, turn Off, which will put you in different mode group. And start again from there.

Good luck.

Hmmm, let me investigate that, thanks. I'll post back later.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Open up the bezel again and check to see if the negative and positive connection has continuity with the body of the light. You can use the screws as the body or the soft copper. Neither should.

The A6 has no single mode option. It has a 4 and 7 mode group setting which you alternate between. A single high mode has to indicate a short or a defective driver.

A loose retaining ring on either the driver or tailcap would usually manifest as intermittent light operation. If it is consistently single mode only I would suspect what I just said in the previous line

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened

Good luck.
Nevermind, sorry @nbp, I got my UI's mixed up.

nbp

Flashaholic
Ok, super weird. As I was taking it apart and jiggling things, I reassembled it and it suddenly started working properly. I have shifted correctly through all the modes and it functions as it's supposed to.

That's bizzare since I had dismantled it, snugged retaining rings, cleaned contacts etc. previously and it did nothing. Now it works!

Well, I am pleased for now; I will keep goofing around with it and see if the problem resurfaces. Thanks for all the input guys!

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah, apparently Scott never schooled me on the finer points of Acorn firmware... 🙄

I still remember that lovely white wall of light! Buying that L4 and having it modded was a big deal. I was still in college then, working part time. But I just had to have a Milky. :)