Hong Kong mod Now with pics...suggestions?

davidra

Enlightened
Before I "saw the light" (how bad is that) I bought a pair of Hong Kong Surefire knock-offs with 2-123 and "Police" on the bezel (I'm sure you know the ones); both have 8 LED's. After about a month, one of them started losing LED's with flickering, then death. Are there any drop-in mods for a light assemby? I'm a total newbie as far as mods (except for a G2 clickie)and essentially want something really bright that I can just drop in......Rick

Kiu

Enlightened
Re: Hong Kong mod?

David,
Do you mean drop-in module?
The answer is simply no. But you can mod it using a Lux3 star. Driving the Lux3 by adding a 1ohm 2W resister. It will drawing well at about 1.3A - 0.8A in a K bin's Lux3.
Or any other suggestions will do.
I also had 8 leds 3xAAA version buy in Ap Yiu Street. It is still working for 2 months as I rarely turn on this dim Led.

davidra

Enlightened

Yes, a drop-in module is what I'm looking for. Since I have no skills whatsoever in fine handwork, I'd also be willing to send the light to someone if they can do an interesting mod...Rick

chrisse242

Enlightened

It would be good to see some pictures of the components. Some of us modded the xenon-versions of this light which is quite simple. I don't know about the led-versions.

Chrisse

davidra

Enlightened

Naturally, we have two digital cameras...one is at my fishing cottage, the other in Peru with my wife...when I can get my hands on one I'll post them. I expect that the components would be similar to the Xenon models. This has a board with a bead to contact the spring on top of the battery case, and soldered leads running to each of the led's.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to see the Led circuit mount as well. I wonder how much different it is over the Xenon setup. That made an excellent heat sink base for a star especially when driven in the 300-400ma range.

davidra

Enlightened

Soon as I can get my hands on a camera. Any ideas on easy ways to remove little aluminum retaining rings?

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Inside retaining rings or outside with two holes? I have better luck with outies (open to remove) and tiny needlenose plier tips. Innies are a pain even with the correct kind of retaining ring pliers. The non holed rings I get behind it with a scribe tip or some such small steel pointy and dig it out. Colorful metaphors seem to help pass the time as well.

davidra

Enlightened

This is inside, holding the LED head in place; looks like very thin metal ring with four little "wings" punched out and sticking up. Sure would like to have my camera back, but it's pretty far up in the bezel so I'm not sure if I could even get a pic.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I managed to remove the retaining ring (for the led module) by using a small screwdriver, and poking it into one of the 2 holes at an angle, then start unscrewing it. The threads aren't all that easy to work with, but I managed to get it out...

P/S, just wondering, has ANYONE successfully modded one of these with a LS yet?

chrisse242

Enlightened

There are possibly different types of this light, so without pictures it's hard to tell if it's been done before. Still no camera?

Chrisse

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think there're more than 100 different 2x123 lights available in Hong Kong. Most are pretty bad while a few of them is pretty good (Pila and G&P). Without a picture, there's no way to know which light you've got.

Oops... you mentioned it is 8-LED light. I've never seen a "good" 3-8 LED light driven by 2x123 in Hong Kong yet:-(

Alan

davidra

Enlightened

I said I'd post these; this is a 2x123 body with 8leds which failed right after I got it. I'm looking for a simple mod, hopefully drop in, that will give me something that works.....

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

chrisse242

Enlightened

I'm afraid there is no drop-in, but some kind of luxeon mod shouldn't be to hard to build. If you can get rid of the little piece of plastic with the spring inside the base you could probably fill the hole with some kind of aluminium rod. You could then drill a hole into the lower side of the base to insert a downboy/badboy/resistor and drill small holes through the base to allow wires to go through it. A LuxeonIII with resistor is nice in this kind of light with some kind of optics (nx05/ fraen lp). With the hole in the middle filled, you have a nice heatsink for an emitter, a star is harder to attach to this kind of base as you have to find a way to bring the wires to the top. Perhaps I can post pictures tonight with a simmilar base and attached star. (Hopefully better pictures of better work than in my first Walther-mod.)
I guess there is some kind of ring in the head which holds the stock led-assembly in it's place, this will be good to hold the optics too.

Chrisse

davidra

Enlightened

I've never done ANY modding before, and don't really have hours to spend. Does anyone on the board offer modding services? I would send them the light and they'd put something hot in it? I'm not feeling very creative today....

chrisse242

Enlightened

Could you screw out the base and take another picture of the lower side? Also, is the positive side of the cells facing up?
I could probably help you, but I guess there are much more experienced modders round here. Anyway, if none of them wants to do it and you can supply led and optics I would try it. Since I'm not a professional you would only have to pay the shipping to germany and back. I would supply the smaller parts like resistor, aluminium and so on. I have never worked with a converter succesfully, so I wouldn't want to try it in a mod I'm doing for someone else. Perhaps you would like to ask wasabe64 too. He has done a simmilar mod to a xenon-police light.

Chrisse