ZnSe White LEDs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi
Received the Roithner Newsletter about 20 minutes ago, and they are adverstising ZnSe White LEDs.
Those are said to emit yellow (605nm) and blue (484nm) light directly, producing white light in the end.
Vin is 2.65V
4 cd at 20mA

What's that? Sounds interesting to me. Maybe those will get rid of the ugly beams of the current 5mm LEDs ...

www.roithner-laser.com

bernhard

P.S.: now ... don't ask me any questions about this, I have no clue about what I am writing here, I just copied what I got /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
3.5 - 4.5 cd at 20° these do sound interesting. And a forward voltage of only 2.65! Almost ideal for one lithium cell. May have to warm up the credit card. Can't read the data sheet, must have been encoded without all the fonts. Anyone know the life of these? I see a post of Craig's mentioning short lifetime.

While looking for an answer (besides 42), I came across these Sumitomo and Procomp.

Found! An article that says the Supra Opto (Procomp above) life is 7,000hr. Of course is says effeciency is 20W to 25W which I think lost something in the translation like maybe lm/W.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Zinc selenide white and blue LEDs were being developed in the early- or mid-1990s, but as far as I'm aware, that development was stopped when gallium nitride came into common use.
Apparently, the information I received was not entirely accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Development was NOT stopped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I need to get my hands on some of these...both for the museum pages and the white and/or blue LEDs pages.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Craig, you can order them from Roithner direct, they are up for sale now according to the newsletter.
I'd be very interested in your opinion on these.
bernhard

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some yellow led's that are bright enough to be paired with gallium nitride for a super version? I wonder how well they blend...

I wonder if anyone is doing a white RGB die Led......

*Retired*
5mm LED:
(Roithner-laser page)
Vf=2.65 If=20mA 3500-4500mcd Pd= 53mW high @ 20 mA, 20°
(from datasheet on the page):
Vf=2.65 If=20mA 2000-5000mcd Pd= 45mW(max) high @ 20 mA, 15-25°
The half-life of the optical output at 25℃ is over 3,000hrs at 20mA and 25C
luminous efficiency of 20 lm/W
The correlated color temperature for Rank B varies from 12,000K to infinity. For Rank P, it varies from 5,000K to 12,000K. For Rank Y, it varies from 3,000K to 5,000K.
For Rank O, it varies from 1,600K to 3,000K.

(compare to Nichia NSPW500BS 20° 9200mcd Vf=3.65 If=20mA Pd= 73mW)

http://www.procomp.com.tw/us/2_7_2_1.asp

Sumitomo + Procomp = Supra Opto Inc (joint venture)
Supra will begin mass production of the LEDs in March 2003.

Patent highlights
13 January 2004
The pick of this week's patent applications including a white LED based on zinc selenide.
• Title: Semiconductor light-emitting device
Applicant: Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd, Japan
International application number: WO 04/004018

Feb. 28, 2000
Sumitomo Electric has developed a new original white LED designed for use as backlights for liquid crystal displays in the rapidly growing field of cellular telephones and will begin mass-production this fall.

We succeeded in developing white LEDs utilizing ZnSe (zinc selenide) in 1999 and have since worked to commercialize this device....We are planning a monthly production of five million pieces beginning this fall while continuing to invest in new facilities and equipment....The green to red light emitted from the substrate is the result of a phenomenon peculiar to ZnSe, in which the small amount of dopant contained in the ZnSe substrate causes the absorbtion of short-wavelength light (blue light in the case of the ZnSe white LED element) and converts it to longer-wavelength green to red light emitted from the substrate, i.e., the so-called photoluminescence (PL) phenomenon.

http://www.sei.co.jp/news_e/press/00/00_01.html

Dec 2002

"Sumitomo Electric has teamed with Procomp to commercialize ZnSe white LEDs. The companies plan to establish a joint venture under the name Supra Opto Inc, with Procomp holding 60% ownership and Sumitomo the remainder.

Sumitomo developed ZnSe-based white LEDs about four years ago. The company's device is a homoepitaxial ZnSe blue LED grown on a ZnSe substrate, which simultaneously produces blue light from the active region and yellow emission from the substrate.

Sumitomo says that the ZnSe LED offers a number of advantages. In conventional white LEDs, the use of a phosphor makes packaging more complicated and reduces the overall efficiency of the device. The ZnSe substrate is conducting, allowing the use of top and bottom contacts, unlike GaN-on-sapphire devices. Also, the ZnSe LED operates at a low voltage of 2.7 V, and is highly resistant to static electrical discharge."

More of the article at:
http://www.compoundsemiconductor.net/articles/news/6/12/2/1

Photo:
http://www.sei.co.jp/RandD_e/electro/ele_e08.html

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Craig, you can order them from Roithner direct, they are up for sale now according to the newsletter.
I'd be very interested in your opinion on these.
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]
I just sent an email to my contact at Roithner Lasertechnik about these; let's see what happens.
The exact email I sent was:

Hi xxxxxxx,

I'm *very* interested in the new ZnSe white LED technology, specifically this part:
RLZB-52, white, 3.5 - 4.5 cd @ 20 mA, Uf = 2.65 V, 20°, 5 mm clear epoxy

If you'd be willing to send one or two, I'll be sure they get top priority on my website.
I want to put them in The LED Museum's exhibits, as well as on my Roithner Lasertechnik page.

Thank you, and have a fantastic week!!!

I'm not equipped to handle SMD parts, so I asked for the 5mm epoxy case version.
If my mail is answered, I'll post an update in this thread.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ok, I just got a reply from my contact at Roithner:

Dear Craig,

it must be telepathy - I have sent out to you a set of the new ZnSe LEDs yesterday!

Best Regards,

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxx

Telepathy or not, I'll get my ZnSe LEDs, and I'll soon see how they do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, if this hadn't been an expensive month, I'd have a look at getting a couple of them. Would be nice to start off the LED section of my site off with something new, stupid car...grrrrr.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Don't think I've emailed them yet anyway, never know, might be the first company to reply to me at all.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
cool Craig!
now ... where are the results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll give the results as soon as I have the ZnSe LEDs in my grubby little mitts, and claim them as mine mine mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
if you could pay attention to the quality and (color-)consistency of the beam, I'd be really thankful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'll power a Nichia NSPW500BS (if I can find one around here) and one of the ZnSe white LEDs at 10mA each, and compare them that way. This test won't be so much for a brightness comparison, but for a beam quality comparison. With a picture, if possible.

Better start looking for that white Nichia LED now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just got a packet from Roithner...as soon as I finish my lunch, I'll open it and see what I've got...
I assume there are ZnSe LEDs in there, but you know the old saying...when you assume, that makes an *** out of u and me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
hey !!!
eat later, work now !!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I'd just logged out and was about to go eat, so Kiessling beat me to the reply! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just finished lunch, so now I can get back to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
There are 8 ZnSe white LEDs here - two 5mm, two 3mm, and two each of two different sizes of SMDs.

Just by plugging one of the 5mm LEDs into the tester and driving it at approximately 25mA, the LED produces a distinctly bluish-white central area, and a brownish or orangish ring outside that. Let's get out the camera and take a beam shot...turning camera on...taking the picture...resizing...uploading...there, done!!!

znse1.jpg

This is the first known picture of a ZnSe white LED beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif