Mod on my Surefire L6, Luxeon III T

Gymkhana

Newly Enlightened
Dont know if I am putting this message on the right section.

Just finished a Mod on my Surefire L6 with Luxeon III-T using the invaluable instructions of Don (McGizmo) and the two part thermal epoxy Arctic Alumina from Wayne as a backing on the L III.

It really throws the beam really far as I was told it would. Nothing like it in the Leds that I have seen come close especially with the longer reflector of the L6 being a great advantage.

Sorry, no pics as its quite bright where I tested and only be fair to get a picture of it in a really dark place to get the full effects.

Don and Wayne thanks so much for the advice and parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I really enjoyed doing the mod which was not too difficult once I had all parts and equipments in place.

Best wishes,

Oliver

K-T

*Moderator*
Wow, the L6 is a rather expensive host I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Gymkahana,

Glad to hear it came to gether for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

K-T,

The KL-6 is a pricy host but the good news is that the mod is not expensive; just the cost of a Lux III.

- Don

Gymkhana

Newly Enlightened
Yep,
Don is right. Its fun as well!

You cantget a better host for more throw and the hot spot for the distance, whilst using Lux III-T. Now I need an upgrade on the Lux III-T.I wonder what and when that will be.

I live in a very bright area in the city and I need to get out of town to play around with the pics of the beam. Would like to put the torch on a dark country road to see the full effects.

Thanks again Don!

Best wishes,
Oliver

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying the 3W throws further than the 5W LED? Or could you even make a comparison since you had to dismantle one to get the other? Do you have before and after pics comparing the throw?

Gymkhana

Newly Enlightened
I am afraid that I do not have any comparison pictures as I was sure that most info on the l6 is already on the sites. Don (McGizmo) has some beam to beam comparisons on his site I believe.

The l6 has a much more flood beam with the 5W although the larger head and longer reflector does throw it further than the rest of the Surefire L series. It does not beat the throw of the Mod by Don which is his PT-DB 1000 with Lux III-T that I got from him on a E2E body and this of course gives a much better hot spot than the 5W led.

Only this Mod I did on the L6 with Lux III-T can out throw the PT Mod with a hot spot and its mainly due to the longer deeper reflector that the L6 comes with.
Of course, I got the info and the Mod PT head from Don before I continued working on my L6.

Best wishes,
Oliver

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're on the topic of maximum throw, I wondered about the use of a smooth reflector rather than the orange-peel in the L6. Does Don's mod use a smooth reflector? It's been surmised that the ARC 4+ has a smooth reflector for more throw.

Gymkhana

Newly Enlightened
I do find that the orange skin reflector on the PT DB 1000 Lux III Mod by Don has a great throw just as the L6 does. Only people who have tried both will be able to fully answer this question.

Best wishes,

Oliver