HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: incandescent flashlights

Default Re: incandescent flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    May I ask what makes the Sunlight G4 sockets so special??
    Its a P60 drop in but it can use any G4 bulb...

Flashaholic*

Speaking of reviving the Sunlight. While I have and enjoy both g4 and t2 versions, I do think that the 1794 bodies which are still available are just the best incand stuff ever produced in p60/p90 size. And while 1499 and 1794 bulbs seem to be scarce, the mag replacement bulbs do fit these lights, too!

I'll just put this random comment here. What would be outrageously cool is a G4 in an Elite head. Here's how it would work: an intrepid CPF member with a drill and bits and a standard sized G4 lamp discovers the precise bit to use to drill an Elite reflector hole to allow a G4 lamp to fit through it. The information is shared, and this generous member offers to drill other members' Elite reflectors, and with secret special skill also clean the reflector as needed without damage, for ship and a little for the effort. Then fivemega announces a G4 socket for E Series that will fit a G4 lamp and focus properly if the Elite head was drilled with the previously discovered and properly sized drill bit. Though... I really hate the idea of modifying Elite heads, so perhaps Mark at LF makes offers some Elite replacement head-reflectors with a slightly larger reflector hole, so no bits or drilling or cleaning reflectors needed. I suppose all this complexity would be reduced if fivemega offered another miniturbo E threaded head and G4 socket bundle. Funny how I can come up with things to volunter fivemega to invent and sell. If I could do it, I would totally scoop him, the Sunlight E Miniturbo w/ G4 socket... by NightHoodie... I'd be famous. Though I suppose it is already possible with a E2C, z44 and a Sunlight, or E2C w/ LF MiniTurbo and the miniturbo fivemega G4 socket. It would be neater in an Elite bezel, because after you switch off the lamp, you might get a minute of moonlight level from the glowing red-hot Elite head.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 01-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.

AWESOME n.h!!!!!!!!
    E Miniturbo!!!!!
    How the H$% i missed that one!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by id30209 View Post
    AWESOME n.h!!!!!!!!
    E Miniturbo!!!!!
    How the H$% i missed that one!?!?
    fivemega E2 Mini Turbo Head

Just one of those things I also missed and now twist over.

Please go easy there night.hoodie. A little less facetious maybe?

Bill

No harm in daydreaming...
    Looks like i need to update my WTB. That E turbohead is sweet! Reminds me of Aleph 1 head.

idk how available CL1499 lamps are... or if anyone dicovered another lamp that would be focused

If you go down the posts you'll see that 1794 and 1499 have almost the same dimensions.
    That being said, FM1794's are still available

BTW, FM has potted 1499 so if you wanna play with it and risk breakage of bulb you can try removing it from the PR seat.

Still works. I have a Pila GL3 with a LF D26 multi-mode LED drop-in (P60 style) that's nicely functional. I looked around to see if I could find a drop-in for the GL4, but doesn't look like there's any available. But at this point, probably doesn't make sense to fork out $50~$70 for a drop-in, when a whole light could be bought with even better capability. At least it has a somewhat usable LED tail cap. I also realized it's kind of novel to still have an incan flashlight around. A good reference point for CRI too!
    Last edited by xevious; 01-11-2019 at 05:39 PM.
    Lights in my rotation: Olight i3E-CU, S2A, S1Ti, i1R EOS | Zebralight SC52w | Nitecore EC4GT, EA4 | Sunwayman D40A | Jetbeam RRT-01| Fenix L0D

With the directions this thread has been moving in, I don't even know if this suggestion is OT or not, so I'm taking a chance.

I have two of FM's 3xAA-body-to-C-head (NFS), which I use with NiMH cells. One of them is used to put a P61 to good use.

I would be interested in trying to acquire more MN03, MN02, and MN01 lamp assemblies if there was a convenient way to use them on rechargeable cells. 1xLi-Ion is not driving them enough (except for being too much for the MN01), and 2xLi-Ion would flash them.

A 3x NiMH AA cells E-head body would probably work well for the MN03 (if it existed), and possibly the MN02. A 2x NiMH AA cells E-head body (if it existed) would work well for the MN01. If Fivemega made these, I would definitely get one of each.
    Last edited by novice; 01-12-2019 at 01:48 AM.

The thread seems to have a theme your suggestions coincide with very well, or at least to me it did.

Lumens factory has some good alternatives to the now rare SureFire modules.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-12-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    John 3:16

I use Malkoff's 2AA body with the MN01 and it works. A tight fit but able to screw body onto head.

Bill

Au Re: incandescent flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    [/color]

I have seen you generously suggest such things before. What I don't understand, and with the greatest respect for you and your offerings, and with understanding you are only one man, only so much time, and speaking for everyone but supermod DM51 (who apparently has two handfuls of them), why don't you just make and sell more, like ten times as many as before??!What good can it do you now the extremely limited initial and only offering of Sunlight G4 P60 sockets has long ago sold out? Because I want one, or two. and I bet everyone with a 6P or compatible wants one or two. Exceptionally cool product! Please strongly consider starting a new interest thread and see just how many new customers there might be.
    While there is so much that I wish to say (and have in the past) regarding this exact feeling, I will tone myself down because I have inadvertently pissed off some members in the past with my thoughts on the matter... I'm not calling anyone out here...

I agree 100%, nothing aggravates me more than when people (esp. in the incan threads) recommend products that are literally 99% unobtainable; and have been for YEARS! Like why get our hopes up??

Now, specifically regarding the G4 D26 Sunlight.... I've been a member here since 2007(ish), I remember seeing the Sunlight when it was offered in 2009??? Man, I lusted for one... Had already spent $100's on FM parts, was saving up for one (or 2) in my lowly Security Officer job and knowing that there had been several runs of FM products in the past, did not worry about them selling out. Well..... Alas they did sell out, and were never made available again?!?! Such a popular product; still asked for in 2019!!!!!!!! Nope, never to be seen again....

I'll never understand it, and it's absolutely why I go ALL OUT on the few incan mods that are available today (THANK YOU TAD!).

But, that Sunlight man, just came and went so fast (at the time, today I would've been able to afford 4x as soon as they were available). What do I know though?? Seriously there HAD to be a reason from such a desirable product to just die off but I don't know it TBH.

My best guess, it was around the time LED was the new(ish) King and the demand at that exact time just went down the hole... Why sell something that has no demand (at the time). Yes, people were laughing at incan vs LED.

Anyway, I just wish when people suggested such things that they included a disclaimer like, "good luck finding one", just like an AW SoftStart... Still asked for today... Am I right??? LOL

And to end my rant I just want to say that it does seem like everyone that got a Sunlight is not letting it go, rarely see one FS.

But hey, now after all these years and with a pretty decent amount of incan fans; I think someone could make bank on another run of them..... I'd buy at least 3

1pt21,
    I can empathize with your frustration; there are any of a number of former FM products that I wish he would make more of - and - trying to look at it from his point of view, he still has NOS of numerous custom parts that involved cost and effort that were made in very limited quantities, and have still not sold out. Trying to forecast the profitability of custom parts to an extremely small niche group has to be difficult as well, and even considering making more of them for what are now significantly discontinued items - I would not want to be in that position. Please understand that I am not trying to invalidate your opinion.

Oh man, ive got chills reading your posts 1pt21 and novice... everything i wanted to say, you said it. night.hoodie is also one of the few of us left who would sell a kidney just to get a hand on discontinued FM and AW parts...
    Too bad nobody hear us

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I use Malkoff's 2AA body with the MN01 and it works. A tight fit but able to screw body onto head.

Bill
    A 2xAA Rayovac Indestructable holds a P60 type unit very well. And dig this, a C sized head threads on it to.

Left, a stock one with Fenix traffic wand, middle a stock head with an M31L and right an M31W in a SolarFarce 6P clone head. All work without any tricks or modifications.
    No need for an E2C adapter.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-13-2019 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    A 2xAA Rayovac Indestructable holds a P60 type unit very well. And dig this, a C sized head threads on it to.
    Where to get one Mr.Fixer? Not so simple here across the ocean...

Rayovac are called Varta in Europe.

Oh lord, so close and yet so far...with a lack of knowledge. Haha
    Thank you! Never looked at them to be honest but since you mentioned that magic word P60 my perspective is different now.

There was a thread here about the Indestructable when they first came out. I went to my local big box store and bought 3. Then went to the SolarForce site and bought an L2M kit with additional parts like a round 3p style head and some lenses.

When the order eventually arrived (that's a story in itself) I removed the Rayovac module and built a solarforce 3p looking contraption using half of the L2 body and round head. It was pretty ugly until Rayovac improved the Indestructable with a nicer colored beam. So it's now a 300-ish lumen number with a low setting that can be lego'd with a burnt P60 module using a Streamlight Strion bulb for a portable 6P looking output using a CR123.

The Rayovac got the oem L2M head and Malkoff M31W.

Now regarding those old really bright bulbs, in many cases they were not built for flashlight use but for microscopes and other scientific applications. So with enough perserverance they can be found at places folks wearing lab coats buy their stuff from.

Thinking Re: incandescent flashlights

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    1pt21,
    I can empathize with your frustration; there are any of a number of former FM products that I wish he would make more of - and - trying to look at it from his point of view, he still has NOS of numerous custom parts that involved cost and effort that were made in very limited quantities, and have still not sold out. Trying to forecast the profitability of custom parts to an extremely small niche group has to be difficult as well, and even considering making more of them for what are now significantly discontinued items - I would not want to be in that position. Please understand that I am not trying to invalidate your opinion.
    Sometimes reality sucks my friend.....

I can only imagine, ESPECIALLY being such a small operation.

Seems like I joined here at one of the biggest transitioning times of the flashlight world; incan stuff was still all the rage, and custom (cool) parts were being churned out regularly... Yet, LED's were also on the come-up something fierce; and here to stay this time.

AH well, at least we have this tiny little remaining sub-forum to vent

I was thinking, for FM it might not be $ possible but with still tons of options of bulbs he have it would be at least nice to have a flashlight like FM1794 but with G4 socket.
    2x18350 for lets say WA1274 or 3x18350 for WA1331.
    His present stock on FM1794 camo to only few left so id say it might be a good interest in G4 option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12