Sky Lumen        

Thread: Can a Thrunite Catapult V6 be modded with an aspheric lens?

Default Can a Thrunite Catapult V6 be modded with an aspheric lens?

I bought one of the Thrunite Catapult V6 lights awhile ago, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it could be modded with an aspheric lens?

If so would the aspheric lens increase its throw quite a bit while reducing side spill?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by busseguy; 09-11-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: Can a Thrunite Catapult V6 be modded with an aspheric lens?

Bump.

Nobody knows?

Flashaholic*

An aspheric lens doesnít work with a reflector. Iím sure the reflector could be removed and an aspheric installed. There are some cheap lenses available but I think most are plastic. Good glass lenses are typically expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by light-modder View Post
    An aspheric lens doesnít work with a reflector. Iím sure the reflector could be removed and an aspheric installed. There are some cheap lenses available but I think most are plastic. Good glass lenses are typically expensive.

Crap. Well thank you for the info, I appreciate it!

Flashaholic

That's a broad and incorrect statement. How do you think a catadioptric system works? We built a 40+Mcd thrower using just such a setup.

It would, however, be mostly counterproductive to use the stock reflector.

Flashaholic*

I donít know anything about those systems. Could you explain it to me please?

I had read, in this forum, someone explaining that they collimate light differently and so are not suitable to be used together, basically. Now it was a while ago and maybe they said something like ďmost of the timeĒ or that it wouldnít be practical for the typical handheld flashlight, and I forgot.

Iím definitely interested in seeing and learning more about your project though.

Flashaholic

I donít know anything about those systems. Could you explain it to me please?
    You can read about catadioptric optics here .
    Iím definitely interested in seeing and learning more about your project though.
    Not really a "project" - I wrangled a couple of mechanical engineers out here at Stanford to build an adapter to the axial port on a spare 20cm optical tube assembly I wasn't using. They machined it, it used an air-cooled short-arc lamp behind a hot mirror (to protect the optics from the heat), we played with it for a few days and put it away: completely impractical for any real use (15kg or so total mass, and unwieldy form), and the optics were ~$10k alone. Just a goofing off kind of exercise. The optics were of course imaging optics, so a similar setup using non-imaging optics would have better output.

Carclo makes a 60mm catadioptric (solid) for LED use that looks interesting, but I've never gotten around to ordering some to have some builds made.