20W halogen bulb- Hand held?????

MoonRise

Enlightened
So I saw this bulb the other day, 12V bi-pin halogen, 20W, 1000 or 10,000 hour life (I forget), 320 lumens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif But a color temp of only 2900K.

So I thought "Hmmm, I wonder if I can stick that in a flashlight?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

It needs 12V (or maybe a little more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif ), so that's either a whole slew of alkalines, or a rechargeable pack, or 4x lithiums. But 20W means 1.7A at 12V, alkalines won't do that and 123s would have a hard time too. Hmmm, 4x123 in parallel with 4x123 (8 123s at a pop! $10 to feed each battery change!) might do it. Rechargeables might be a better plan after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Need a socket, a reflector, a body, a switch, a battery holder. At 20W, I don't think plastic parts will last in the business end.

I don't think this would fit in the EDC category. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Anyone every built a light around a 20W bulb? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

It's all CPF fault, ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
I started one but ran into the Power supply problem as well...

I may try it again but I'm gonna run 16 or24 AA NhMH (2 or 3 rows of parallel 12 volt sticks) in an extended 6 D cell light.

it doesnt sound like a normal person would build such a ligth ,but.... you know the rest of the sentence.

PeterW

Enlightened
No.... but someone did use a crappy old 100W bulb running at 12V (3200lumens) so it ought to be possible. 300lumens is a bit crummy, the WA bulbs that people use to mod maglites do >500 I think.

Cheers

PEterW

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 20W MR-16 mod is the entry-level MR-16 mod. There are several accounts of this type of mod. Typically they involve 12 AAs in triple stacks in a 4D or quad stacks in a 3D. Nimh are the cells of choice. Several of us have also run it on 5-7 123 cells. The 1.7A draw is fine. The bulb is bright, but the color is sorta yellow.

I would not worry about the 20W unit causing any melting issues. Move up to the 50W and then it could become more problematic. You might want to go straight to the 35W MR-16 and skip the "little one."

Wilkey

PS. I guess I would be the guy shoving bulbs into little lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif