AAA Works After 2 Mos lost in a Snowbank, But...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssb

Newly Enlightened
Lost my keyring with Arc AAA in early-January while shovelling snow. The recent warm weather in Ontario finally melted down the rock-hard snowbanks and revealed my long-lost property! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Keyless entry unit for the car was toast, but the Arc fired up right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Was a little creaky turning on, but worked it a few times and lubed the threads - back to normal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Except, I cannot get the reflector back to its shiny self. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif It has that patchy dirty/ dull look when an untreated aluminum surface is exposed to the elements for some time. Did try an aluminum cleaner and Never Dull. Recommendations? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Would attach photos of the reflector, but haven't been able to figure out how to attach yet.

Thanks!

beastie boar

Newly Enlightened
Re: AAA Works After 2 Mos lost in a Snowbank, But.

Hi ssb,

if there's residue of lime inside the reflector you might pour in some vinegar essence and leave it in there for 10 mins (in the reflector, not the light itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). To remove other stains, just use some toothpaste on a q-tip as an abrasive to polish the reflector.

Has always worked like a charm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

be careful about getting stuff on the led dome itself.
i'm not sure how resistant the domes are on the 5mm types, but i got a little bit of flitz on the dome of a luxeon, and it etched it a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

flashboy

Newly Enlightened

maybe you could polish it with a dremel ,use one of the pointy shaped felt bits and some red rouge.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

If you plan to polish it, be sure to mask the LED well. The epoxy of the LED is VERY soft and susceptible to scuffing and scratches.

Flitz is softer than a Dremel and rouge, and can be used by hand. Perhaps some flitz on a small swab...

Just be sure to protect the LED. Take Roth's warning to heart. If any polishing compound or grit gets on the epoxy of the LED, it will scratch or cloud the diode.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Put a straw over the led to protect it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I wouldn't recommend using a Dremel, but go slowly by hand. Worked fine for me, the reflector is like a mirror now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ssb

Newly Enlightened

Hey Beastie, the vinegar didn't do much though Crest on a q-tip seems to be slowly working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Haven't used flitz before, is it some type of polishing compound (get from a hardware store)?
Thanks for the straw idea, Bart!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

My light now smells minty fresh..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.