Please Educate me on Malkoff Drop Ins

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
This seems so complicated to me. Only Surefire I had was a 9N. And I've tried to learn from reading on the forum.

I have an MD2. What drop ins work with this flashlight? Seems like there are 31's, 60's/61's and 91's. Maybe I'm missing some?

Which ones fit in an MD2 head? I purchased a MD2-TK SW back in 2013. I have a Hound Dog and a couple Wildcats but really trying to understand what fits in my MD2 head.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure the experts will be along shortly but this from Malkoffs MDX16.5 Head page:
"All M series dropins will physically fit this head. It is up to the end user to determine that the voltage is correct."

So my understanding is that all the normal M61s should fit (not sure about the T or HOT?).

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems so complicated to me. Only Surefire I had was a 9N. And I've tried to learn from reading on the forum.

I have an MD2. What drop ins work with this flashlight? Seems like there are 31's, 60's/61's and 91's. Maybe I'm missing some?

Which ones fit in an MD2 head? I purchased a MD2-TK SW back in 2013. I have a Hound Dog and a couple Wildcats but really trying to understand what fits in my MD2 head.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

30s are 0.8 to 3.3V for 1 or 2- AA, or 1 - CR123. These will not work with Lithium Ions.

60/61s are 3.3 to 9V for 2 - CR123, 1 Lithium Ion, or 2 - Lithium Ions (M60s are no longer in production)

91s are 5.5 to 12V for 3 -CR123, 4 - CR123, or 2 - Lithium Ions

If you have an MD2 body you're likely looking for the M61 series drop ins. There are many flavors as far as output and tint go.

The head is actually an MDX head which can go on many different types of bodies from MD1s (custom) all the way up to MD4s and they will house any of the above drop ins.

Hope this helps!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
There are exceptions to all of the above voltage ranges, depending on the exact dropin and driver, so you really do need to be specific on the details (especially at the low or high end of the range)

In general though, most of the standard Malkoff dropins are identical in form factor, but differ in acceptable voltage for each electronic driver (converter)

Depending upon how you load an MD2 tube, you might have peak ~ 4.2V (18650) or ~ 6V (2x CR123A) or ~ 8.4V (2x 18350)

Last edited:

Hotherps1

Newly Enlightened
(not sure about the T or HOT?).

The M61 HOT will certainly fit into a 16.5 mm head and works, even thought it is designed to fit the 22.3 mm head.

5001craig, Maikoff only sell the M61 T (Throw) and the M61 Hot Throw as a complete head and there is a difference between the voltage they can handle:
Hot is limited to a MAX of 6 volts so you can only safely use 2 x CR123 Primaries witch are 3 volts each. Rechargeable's can be rated as much as 3.7 volts (2 times 3.7 = 7.4 volts) so these are too much for the Hot version. The M61 Hot throw is specifically designed to use 18650 batteries which are rated at 3.7 volts.

The M61 Throw is rated at 3.4 - 9 volts so you can use rechargeable CR123's

Given that you just need a drop-in for your MD2, I would recommend any of the M61 available here:https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/collections/surefire-drop-ins-for-6p-g2-c2-etc-6-9-volts

Using an MD3 body opens up a whole new area of versatility and its a FUN rabbit hole I've gone down after watching WoodsWalker's fascinating youtube video on the subject:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jioaCajdvuQ&t=1162s

5001craig

Newly Enlightened

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, those Nichia Drop Ins are exclusive to Ilumn. You may want to look into a High/Low Ring also, fives the light 2 settings instead of 1 and makes it a little more versatile.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
CPF is old school ... thanking people here is as simple as posting, "hey thanks" :D

You're welcome, and cheers !

:thumbsup:

You might be in luck. I have no connection to seller but this ones available on the WTS forum: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?454432-FS-Malkoff-M61_219-DropIn-(4500K)

Awesome and hey thanks! Just ordered an M61W from Malkoff and also sent a PM to the seller of the 219 asking how he wanted paid. Maybe I can see how these look compared to each other. :D

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Congrats, I suspect you'll need to order another host soon as well.
I was going to recommend the 61N as an alternative if you didn't get the Nichia. I love my neutrals.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Those 219s are nice and floody, I think you will like it a bunch. I agree with the high/low ring suggestion, if you don't already have one.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
The 61W and 219 drop ins are paid for along with an MD3 body, 18500 batteries (UltraFire LC 1600mAh 3.7V Protected Lithium Ion Button Top), Crenelated MDX-16.5 Head Black HA III and hi/lo ring. Looking forward to walking the dog at night. Lol

On a different note, I've been talking to a security guard at one of the plants I go to about guns and lights. He likes lights but doesn't spend a lot on them. He'd heard of Malkoff but that's about it. Today I took all my Malkoff's in to him so he could play with them and see the different sizes. Maybe I'll make him a deal on my MDC. I really don't sell them as I like to have them around. ESPECIALLY one I like as much as my MDC. I've only sold one light and it was my orange MDC 14500 I sold to a co-worker. I do get to see him use it all the time, though.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
The 61W and 219 drop ins are paid for along with an MD3 body, 18500 batteries (UltraFire LC 1600mAh 3.7V Protected Lithium Ion Button Top), Crenelated MDX-16.5 Head Black HA III and hi/lo ring. Looking forward to walking the dog at night. Lol

On a different note, I've been talking to a security guard at one of the plants I go to about guns and lights. He likes lights but doesn't spend a lot on them. He'd heard of Malkoff but that's about it. Today I took all my Malkoff's in to him so he could play with them and see the different sizes. Maybe I'll make him a deal on my MDC. I really don't sell them as I like to have them around. ESPECIALLY one I like as much as my MDC. I've only sold one light and it was my orange MDC 14500 I sold to a co-worker. I do get to see him use it all the time, though.

I'm in the same boat that I rarely sell lights, but I sold my blue and orange MDCs when they exhibited PWM. I'm really sensitive to it and it gives me headaches. I got rid of three versions of Wildcats that exhibited similar flickering on low, as well (they were fine on high, but I generally use low much more than high).

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I can't understand why Gene doesn't hire someone to build him some descent drivers. His lights are great other then the electronics. I bet he would sell a lot more lights if he invested in some more efficient electronics with better regulation and no PWM on any mode.

5001craig

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat that I rarely sell lights, but I sold my blue and orange MDCs when they exhibited PWM. I'm really sensitive to it and it gives me headaches. I got rid of three versions of Wildcats that exhibited similar flickering on low, as well (they were fine on high, but I generally use low much more than high).

I've never noticed any PWM on any of my Malkoff's. Maybe I have no sensitivity to it. They probably work very well for 98% (or more?) of the people that purchase and use them.

A couple people that I showed the modes of my BOSS mentioned a seizure on the strobe. Felt like they were nancy's. I did some research and apparently this is a thing but it seems like that normally only happens above 10 hz.