Cloud Defensive Owl weaponlight

50ae

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone got their hands on the Cloud Defensive Owl weaponlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

scout24

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome. I approved your post but deleted the link. The amount of spam and shilling we get here is huge and by and large we can have discussion without linking to outside websites. Thanks for your understanding.

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
No but just wanted to mention some things from their specs.

• "About 1,250 Lumens focused into the hottest beam in the industry and at least 50,000 Candela (estimated at time of publication)"
First off, estimated? No don't put claims that haven't been actually tested. 50,000 cd is 447m of throw. I highly doubt it does that much. It's only a 1.26" diameter bezel so there's not enough reflector to give it that much throw. If it uses an XP-L HI emitter, maybe up to 400m but if it's an XP-L HD then you're probably looking closer to 300m. I looked everywhere online but couldn't fine any info on the LED it uses though. Secondly, you're looking at an hour of runtime at that output (unless it has some sort of timed step-down or thermal regulation to reduce output). Not sure if that's something to note or not.

I do think it's impressive that it's 100% waterproof even if it has gotten water inside. I've only heard of Elzetta having such a feature. Uses rechargeable 18650 batteries is a huge ++ for me along with that it's not picky about flat-top of button-top batteries. Looking at reviews, it looks like it uses a Neutral Warm emitter (maybe around 4000K) which is pleasantly surprising. The switch is actually the top center strip of the portion of the light that's attached to picatinny rail. Overall I really like the design behind this and the thought behind every aspect of this light including how easily it is to switch the position of the light on either side of the weapon. Overall, looks pretty awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
No but just wanted to mention some things from their specs.

• "About 1,250 Lumens focused into the hottest beam in the industry and at least 50,000 Candela (estimated at time of publication)"
First off, estimated? No don't put claims that haven't been actually tested. 50,000 cd is 447m of throw. I highly doubt it does that much. It's only a 1.26" diameter bezel so there's not enough reflector to give it that much throw. If it uses an XP-L HI emitter, maybe up to 400m but if it's an XP-L HD then you're probably looking closer to 300m. I looked everywhere online but couldn't fine any info on the LED it uses though. Secondly, you're looking at an hour of runtime at that output (unless it has some sort of timed step-down or thermal regulation to reduce output). Not sure if that's something to note or not.

I do think it's impressive that it's 100% waterproof even if it has gotten water inside. I've only heard of Elzetta having such a feature. Uses rechargeable 18650 batteries is a huge ++ for me along with that it's not picky about flat-top of button-top batteries. Looking at reviews, it looks like it uses a Neutral Warm emitter (maybe around 4000K) which is pleasantly surprising. The switch is actually the top center strip of the portion of the light that's attached to picatinny rail. Overall I really like the design behind this and the thought behind every aspect of this light including how easily it is to switch the position of the light on either side of the weapon. Overall, looks pretty awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The light is amazing. Unfortunately, for me - it was just too large/heavy to permanently reside on my guns. I ended up selling it (and will sell the 2nd one I preordered, when it arrives)

Selling that light, and looking for a smaller 300 series (surefire/malkoff) solution is what led me to this forum.

fmFJCK5.jpg

BoiBfcB.jpg

2Unq53F.jpg

cHDdbc9.jpg

SAMI188

Newly Enlightened
I am patiently awaiting my black multi-cam version OWL. I followed the development and decided to bite the bullet late summer '18... Fingers crossed the dang thing shows up by May.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another issue is dealing with Cloud Defensive themselves. They straight-up cheated me out of my money. Sent me the wrong item. Refused to respond to the 2 private messages I sent them regarding getting an RMA, and foolishly (because I dealt with them in good faith and figured they would too) I ordered the item again and included clear instructions to make sure the right one was sent to me. They got paid for the incorrect item they sent me. And I had to eat the cost of it.

As for the proper item I was supposed to have received while still not having gotten a reply regarding a refund, they sent me an empty mailer. Yup! Nothing inside. Doesn't look as though it was tampered with during transit. I put a credit card stop payment on that last transaction. Which they are fighting. I don't think it's right I should have to pay for an empty mailer, after they refused to refund my money due to their mistake in originally sending me the wrong item. Which again, I ate the cost of that. I feel as though they cheated me out of my money that time. Not going to simply sit back and let it happen again.

If you're asking why I didn't simply call them to rectify all this, C.D. has no contact number up on their website. Which honestly, is a HUGE red-flag that I'll admit I didn't notice when I first did business with them. So, buyer beware. Not saying that C.D. is a dishonorable company. Am saying the guys over at C.D. sure as heck did not behave honorably towards me when something (which was their fault) went wrong with my order.

Frank_Castle

Newly Enlightened
Hello- I realize this is older thread. I am interested in the OWL feedback. Also if anyone may had to resort to mounting it on the side vs top due to platform, size etc. Thanks

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Hello- I realize this is older thread. I am interested in the OWL feedback. Also if anyone may had to resort to mounting it on the side vs top due to platform, size etc. Thanks

If what was said in the post below doesn't put you off......

Another issue is dealing with Cloud Defensive themselves. They straight-up cheated me out of my money...................

............If you're asking why I didn't simply call them to rectify all this, C.D. has no contact number up on their website. Which honestly, is a HUGE red-flag that I'll admit I didn't notice when I first did business with them. So, buyer beware. Not saying that C.D. is a dishonorable company. Am saying the guys over at C.D. sure as heck did not behave honorably towards me when something (which was their fault) went wrong with my order.

Frank_Castle

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure what occurred with the vendor there but will give them the benefit of the doubt. I will of course take it into consideration. So far I have read their returns for resolved quickly (AR15.com)

Reviews on the lights seem to be great, designed moreso for riding on top of an AR. I have seen them mounted in photos on the side of non-AR (MP5, Galil pistol), but how it looks and it actually feels and functions in hand on the side is what I am hoping to reveal before I commit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, all I can say is I'm still here. And the guys over at C.D. never made things right with me. I buy a lot of various items online, and C.D.'s customer service was the absolute worst I've dealt with, from anyone I've purchased from. And I've purchased from sellers living in 3rd World nations. None of whom were so desperate for money that they decided to cheat their buyers.

Frank_Castle

Newly Enlightened
Eeee making me think twice. I see you can pay for a back order. I've asked 2 days ago how long that would be or if they actually charge up front. In no way will I pre pay. Seems like a back in stock notification should suffice.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Eeee making me think twice. I see you can pay for a back order. I've asked 2 days ago how long that would be or if they actually charge up front. In no way will I pre pay. Seems like a back in stock notification should suffice.

Exactly! Or, they should have gotten back to you with a reply. They're a very small company.

Frank_Castle

Newly Enlightened
Exactly! Or, they should have gotten back to you with a reply. They're a very small company.

I got a non answer back that one was in stock if I wanted it. Seems they have a good idea but business end Needs improvements.

Inforce is releasing a similar concept soon called 9 zero. Probably not as bright or durable but prices weight would clip a wing off CD. If Surefire joins in, may be a death blow. I mainly like the idea of the one piece. Not having to zip tie making it a shareable platform.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree that concept is great. Zip-ties just don't belong on certain things. Just wish someone else had thought of it.