1XAA

Tribull

Enlightened
I have decided that the 1xAA is my favorite format of light.Currently my Malkoff is my favorite . Are there any that you all particularly love?

Last edited:

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I love my Malkoff MDC 1xAA neutral, and find myself carrying it every day. I run it on an Eneloop Pro battery and it gives tremendous run times. An excellent choice!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Zebralight SC52's I like, also a SC5w. The 52's are now replaced with the SC53 model. Small, efficient, bright. The SC5w is even brighter (over 500 lumens), but at the cost of being slightly fatter than the SC53.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll check that out, what's the exact model of Zebralight?
The AA models.

SC52 for widest range of battery type,I have carried one since introduced.
SC53 is newest version but can not use 14500?
SC5 optimized for Eneloop and slightly larger

All are exceptional and efficient on AA.

The Malkoff is great but pretty huge too.

Eagletac D25A
Thrunote T10
Olight S1A
Fenix E12,Ld12,LD15,LD09

The Malkoff is great but pretty huge too!

Every company makes AA lights and most are pretty great,do a little research and see what interest you for your particular needs.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry:
Coast HX5 adjustable focus is always clipped to the top of my back pocket, except when going to church or somewhere else where I don't want the big head sticking up out of my back pocket. Very easy to deploy, operate, then re-pocket.
Utorch UT01, until yesterday, when I replaced it, possibly for just a short time, with a Wuben E05.
Wuben E05 as of yesterday, but not sure if I'll keep it clipped to my back pocket instead of the UT01.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA is also my favorite EDC format and I have several. Some aren't really worth mentioning, but there are a handful that I'd like to comment on.

I've got an older Zebralight SC52 (51?). It's a neat looking light and it works well, but I find the Zebralight UI bothersome and distracting in use and I've had issues with the light turning on in my pocket. A good light for jogging, but not EDC.

I have the original Quark AA Neutral. It's a bit large for a 1xAA since the head and tail were shared by the CR123A model, but the narrower body makes the it super comfortable to hold. I like the Moonlight and Low modes and am actually running it on some 14505 cells that, while they have tremendous capacity, can't provide the current for Medium or High modes. I often leave it on all night in Moonlight mode as a night light for one of the kids. If I've done my math right, I can use it as a night light every night until my youngest is in highschool before I've used up all the 14505s I was given (I don't actually know their shelf life, it's quite possible that some of them will go bad just waiting to be used...). Anyways, I love that this light can use any battery that can fit no matter the voltage and has useful low output levels and a perfect beam pattern.

The MDC AA Neutral from Malkoff is an interesting light that I've gotten a lot of use out of in the last year. It's heavy but has an awesome clip that just makes the light disappear in my pocket until I need it. The body shape is comfortable to hold and the beam is beautiful. I like that the modes are strictly ascending although I do occasionally have it start at a higher output when my previous use had been quick enough that the timer didn't reset. I do notice the PWM on lower levels, but I like the rest of the light so much that I'm willing to tolerate the PWM. I would definitely recommend this light to anyone who wants a substantial feeling light and isn't allergic to PWM.

I recently bought the Fenix e12 as a xmas gift to myself. It's the smallest AA light I've ever owned and yet it still has a clicky (I only do twisty for AAA lights). It has no PWM, no memory, and always advances through the modes in the correct order (L->M->H). My only gripe is that in order to make the light as small as possible, they use a TIR lens instead of a reflector. The beam is fine in actual use, but it looks strange when white wall hunting.

Finally I have a Defiant 1xAA that cost me $4 several years ago. It looks ugly, is made of cheap feeling plastic, has a reverse clicky even though it's a single mode light (why?), and has a big head that makes it unsuitable for pocket carry. However, the beam is beautiful and it will suck an alkaline cell down so far that it won't even show up on my battery tester. I run all my "dead" batteries through it before recycling them to get the satisfaction that I've gotten every last bit of juice.

--flatline

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC5 optimized for Eneloop and slightly larger...

I know that the SC5 was not intended as a headlamp, but has anyone tried wearing a floody version on the side of their head, and do any of the Zebralight silicone-holders-and-headbands work for this? Thanks!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the SC5 was not intended as a headlamp, but has anyone tried wearing a floody version on the side of their head, and do any of the Zebralight silicone-holders-and-headbands work for this? Thanks!

I use a Nitecore headband for the SC5w, and it works well. It's actually made for 18650 lights, but it holds the SC5 just fine. The light sits on top of my head, which is the most comfortable, though the headband also has loops on the side as well.

pc_light

Enlightened
I'm hear 'ya Tribull, 1xAA is an awesome size and my preference for EDC. I've actually been gradually moving away from larger cell sizes lately and more towards AA lights.

As with others, my previous favorite was a Zebralight (SC51w), unfortunately I killed it. Caught and released a SC5w because it felt a little large for EDC. Instead I've been using one oldie and some newer lights depending on need. All are warm or neutral tint and run both AA or 14500 cells.

My three favorites are -

(1) Nitecore EZ-AAw (for small size; not too much like larger than some AAA lights (shown next to the Olight i3T-AAA))
(2) Lumintop EDC05 (for all around purpose), and
(3) Manker T01 (for when I need a little pocket thrower)
niIrRLL.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One I used to dig on was like a poor man's Malkoff: The Klarus P1A;
HA type 3 hi/lo head 150/11 lumen 1x AA.

Another groovy ghoulie was PK's Icon Modus for 50/6 lumens from a AA in a plastic light or the Rogue in a metal version that doubled as a nunchuk.

My current fave 1xAA is the Pelican 2350, which has a programable 175/25 operation, which is tuned for lo/hi.

I use an MDC 3 setting head on the Klarus these days.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't mention it before, but I EDC a Nitecore EA11. It is a dual fuel AA/14500. I keep a 14500 in it because I had a few hanging around, and I like the higher output, but the AA option is there if I ever need it. It rides on my belt in its little holster, and I hardly ever even notice it.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Quark Mini AA all the live long day; barely bigger than the battery, three perfectly spaced modes, and [was] available in cool/neutral/warm..
28315871645_f7a2f512d9_o.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be very fond of my Quark QTA until I gave it away.
Now I'm really enjoying my Eagtac D3A Ti in XML2 neutral.
Looks great and runs great while throwing a very nice, balanced beam.

Latest posts