I'm back! ... And an oh dear! reflector boo boo.

styks

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
Got bitten by the flashlight bug again.
Accumulating a decent collection again, enjoying it!

Anyway, I got it into my head to have a go modifying a flashlight.
I have Imalent RT70 & RT35. Reading about de-doming / shaving led's and modification I decided to play.
so I disassembled the RT70. Shaved the 70.2 by putting a ring magnet around the led, perfect size a just a fraction higher than the led base. Sorry don't know the correct term, still learning. The magnet pulled the razor blade down onto it, keeping the height controlled.

Removed the reflector from the RT35, bored out the aperture, about 0.5mm larger than the led.
All was going swimmingly until I decided to try and polish the edge of the enlarged hole. ...... Damn my moment's lack of thought! I had some 3 micron diamond liquid, popped some cotton wool on a wooden shaft, spun it hopping to polish the edge. ........ Yes you guessed it, I had no clue how thin that chrome coating is! I now have a polished copper ring about 2mm around the led, argh!

It's all together and working well, throws a nice beam, tint looks nice to my eyes too. But there is a slight donut hole.
I can only see it at about 6 feet, can't see it out side but only tried it a short time.
First time even taking a flashlight apart so I'm just happy it works tbh! :)

Is it likely this polished copper ring is creating this faint donut? Or is it that I need to move the reflector to tune the beam?
Also, has anyone tried and had any success with a chrome finish paint? I've seen some amazing tube videos, incredible stuff, but would it cope with the temperature I wonder.

I'll post a beam shot or two when I get a chance so you can see the results.

Just in case you think I'm mad, I have an Astrolux MF02 and MF04 on the way to me so I won't miss the RT35. It'll be a future project no doubt.

I'll try and get some pics and vids of flashlight walks around my local woods when I work out best camera settings etc.

Have an, Acebeam X80-GT, Imalent R90C, Olight M2R already. And now, what, an RT70t maybe.
To go with my Manker MK34vn filled with XPL PDT's I think and my Manker U21vn (I was lucky to get Fiat Lux) great throw, from my small flashlight bite a several years ago.

I'm enjoying being back, cheers all.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Welcome back to crazy. CPF member lewong had some success resilvering a reflector using Mona Lisa Silver Leaf. (Anyone with ideas about extreme IR throw should consider resilvering with 24k gold leaf, as gold is a perfect reflector for IR, way better than silver.)

I came across lewong's work researching desilvering to get all spill... incan spill has a different quality to it than reflected incan. Instead of desilvering, I tested the idea cutting a little piece of thin white cardboard in a cone-doughnut shape, and covered the reflector, held in by bezel and lens. That works fine (though is a fire hazard I am sure), gives all spill, so no reason to ruin the reflector.

Last edited: