thanks for great advice re: LED headlights

leigh1962

Newly Enlightened
Hi

As some may recall, I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe two door near mint that was originally built with the "upgrade" composite head lamps.

As can be imagined , performance was miserable and even with new housings, the truck has awful at night.

I was advised to consider a work truck nose using the buckets for sealed beams of that era but with a modern twist which was to use JW Speaker's LED 8910 lamps.

The result is like the difference between night and day.

Thanks for the advice.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yippee! I'm glad you had a good outcome. Did you get the lamps carefully aimed with an optical aim machine?

leigh1962

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I did. As i said, night and day. Now this 22 year old truck has much better lights than my 2 year old Impala with projector 9012s.

Ouch

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
So you're saying that if I'm serious about lights on my 1986 F250, I'll trash the Hellas and get a pair of 8910's?

BTW one of the Amazon reviews told of being stopped for "flashing lights," and mentioned "flickering," but said they don't do it when turned on. ?????

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you're saying that if I'm serious about lights on my 1986 F250, I'll trash the Hellas and get a pair of 8910's?
And serious about spending money, but yes.

BTW one of the Amazon reviews told of being stopped for "flashing lights," and mentioned "flickering," but said they don't do it when turned on. ?????
Maybe some really bad PWM going on, or his electrical system being very bad (didn't try to find the review).

Your '86 is not using PWM, and the lamps should be pretty tolerant of voltage transients such that there should be no external indication this is going on.

Kenny78

Newly Enlightened
The wife and I but the bullet and bought Jw's for our 99 super duty. We went from aerodynamics straight to the 8910's. They are incredible.

I would assume from the poorly written review that it was a PWM issue.