Anyone here use AVG AntiVirus software?

jtice

Flashaholic
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with AVG virus software.

I have a copy of 7.0 I just installed, found a few trojons,

Just wondering if its any good, and how it compares to Norton.

Thanks.

chr00t

Newly Enlightened
I am using AVG 6.x Free Edition Antivirus. I have not found viruses for long time except one of my friend complained that her computer runs very slow. I decide check on her computer and installed AVG Free Edition antivirus. When it scanned and found 53 of viruses and 700 of spyware on her hard drive! It took me 3 days to clean up everything and back to normal. OH MAN.. Otherwise AVG Antivirus is awesome excellent job.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used AVG for several years now, on my wife's machine (I run a Linux distro). When I worked in Internet technical support we tried it out on a test machine and it perfromed very well. After that, we would recommend it to our customers. I am still in touch with a couple of admins who I know use it on their home Windows machines.

It's a good AV product. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Norton or McAfee, but that's why I like it.

Mike

Brock

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Norton or McAfee, but that's why I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. It also uses less system resources, I would imagine for the same reason. I like it, and the price is right.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the free version for a while now, about last 2-3 years till now I think. Works great, and in some cases its caught a few viruses that couldn't be detected by a few other AV programs.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
I have got AVG 7 OEM with my ADSL modem. Before that I used AVG free and was satisfied. When I purchased new motherboard there was PCCillin OEM. I was using it for a while but experienced update problems. So I am back to AVG and it works great for me.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure you have Heuristics turned on, and have it check ALL files. Also have it check Temporary Internet Files (or Cache, if browser calls it cache).

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
right click on icon in system tray. it should bring up a menu. there should be something like Control Center (or some such thing). Heuristics is in there.

Scanning all files (all extensions, etc.) is in the advanced scan options from the main AVG menu. Browse around and you'll find it eventually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Ah, thanks, found it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This seems to be great so far.

Now, if I can just get rid of this last popup thing at work.
I have things popping up, even when I am not surfing the net !

I have ran THREE ad and spyware programs,none have found this last one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Avix

Newly Enlightened
another thumbs up for AVG. my ISP is now including it for there clients

was_jlh

Enlightened
JT, did you try everything suggested in the other thread to cure your popup problem?

Empath

Flashaholic
Jtice, it sounds like they're exploiting the messenger service. You can stop it. Here's a FTC site that will explain a bit and tell you how to turn it off.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
For unknown popup sources:

1. www.grc.com -- simple program will turnoff massager service (if this is a text only window with OK to close button).

2. If this is a graphics window, use <RUN> <MSCONFIG> to disable any programs that start when booting that you don't need (or use Spybot Search and Destroy, Advance Mode, TOOLS, Startup editor).

3. Temporally install Zone Alarm and notice every program that accesses the Internet--you may find a program that is looking for ads to serve).

-Bill

Latest posts