Klarus        
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Default Re: HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Quote Originally Posted by DinoCakes View Post

Some potato quality photos from out and about.

xp-g3

Trying to assess that extra throw. From the height of the wooden line post in the distance it appears that the light throws a useful light beam about 50 more feet. Does that seem about right?

Ya you can see around the bend in the road with the long throw. I’d say it is a definite improvement
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Trying to assess that extra throw. From the height of the wooden line post in the distance it appears that the light throws a useful light beam about 50 more feet. Does that seem about right?
    I think that’s about right. With lower light condition the effect would be amplified...... to my eyes it’s almost less about the total length of throw and more about the ability for my eyes to focus on and identify objects and my surroundings at those longer distances.

Its not a magnitude greater throw then the 5700K but to my eyes it without question reaches farther and is more effective specifically outside at night at distance. I have taken to having both my 5700K and the 325 NLT on my person because they each excell for their respective uses.

And we have figured out the problem with the slight delay in some of the new 325 NLT lights... it was me.
    When I calibrated some of the lights, I calibrated some of the 325 NLT's with the lower couple of settings lower than should be. You may just have a .01 or lower low. This effected the first 3-4 low settings but not the rest of the light settings. This in turn makes one of the capacitors take a litter longer to "juice up".

Why am I always the problem?

Either way, if you have one and you want us (me) to recalibrate it to give you the proper .02 low, just contact HDS and we will take care of it for you.

Any of the 325 NLT's shipping from today will have the standard .02 for the lowest level.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

I think you've now just made those valuable collectors items ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I think you've now just made those valuable collectors items ...
    I'm not saying that I did or did not take my 325 NLT and calibrate back down after we figured out my blunder... but I did. And Henry said "No. We won't do this on purpose for folks in the future."
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Please don't get that one started, I think your head might fall off.
    P
    I'm looking for an MD4 tube. Please PM if you have a spare. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ithout-Tailcap

🤯 no doubt about that!

Anybody happen to have this light and one of the GD lights to compare the throw? Wouldn’t double the output over, say the GD 140, have, in theory, longer throw?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I'm not saying that I did or did not take my 325 NLT and calibrate back down after we figured out my blunder... but I did. And Henry said "No. We won't do this on purpose for folks in the future."
    Personally, I love it: in really dark adapted conditions, the "gentle on" on a couple of the lowest modes is easier on the pupil-snapping... I would not change it if offered.

I am just jim dandy fine with it, don't want it to leave my pocket.
    Current 24/7 (2019) primary- HDS Rotary 325 long Cree XP-G3 5000K; secondary - HDS Rotary High Noon Nichia 219c; 219b 3500k 9080; Past (for 10 years) 24/7 JETBeam RR0 Raptor; Other: Malkoff Converted Surefire 6p 6z and numerous Fenix, Olight, JETBeam, Surefire, Thrunite, www.AestheticPhotos.com

Flashaholic

And we have figured out the problem with the slight delay in some of the new 325 NLT lights... it was me.
    When I calibrated some of the lights, I calibrated some of the 325 NLT's with the lower couple of settings lower than should be. You may just have a .01 or lower low. This effected the first 3-4 low settings but not the rest of the light settings. This in turn makes one of the capacitors take a litter longer to "juice up".

Either way, if you have one and you want us (me) to recalibrate it to give you the proper .02 low, just contact HDS and we will take care of it for you.

Any of the 325 NLT's shipping from today will have the standard .02 for the lowest level.
    LOL that’s awesome. I was wondering about the super Uber low level 1. Doesn’t bother me but it’s really neat having a light that goes this low.

Super subtle stealth mode to boot! I'm just so honored to own one of these 325 NLT lights..

Edited to add:

Stop the PM's!
    This one is not for sale! I will give up my HDS when they peel my cold dead fingers from around It. Oh sorry that's something else... You know what I mean.
    Last edited by indigon; 03-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Lol HOGO the mind reader 😂😂
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I was wondering about this "Super Moon" mode, so dim its nice!! I love the low low low, and the delayed turn on. Its very nice.

EDIT: These ultra low 325's are still 325 lumens right?
    Last edited by PoliceScannerMan; 03-05-2019 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indigon View Post
    Just got my 5k XP-G3 rotary, and totally agree.. Great light, exceeds expectations.
    Had a chance to walk around and compare it with my 5k 3 o'clock..

Here is a pic of three lights in hand on the ceiling @ low level 10 which I use them at 80% of the time.. My lights are shrouded so only the hotspot shows, no corona. (Camera shows a yellowish tint on the XP-G3 that my eyes don't pick up, just white).

Thank you for the pictures and comments, especially the view of "white" from the naked eye. Very helpful.

I just got one in from a trade. Its not just the hotspot that makes the difference, it also has more lumens in the spill portion. I like it, and have been carrying this instead of my 4500k. The extra throw and lumens on high, helps during the day and at night gives a wider, more filled beam so I can use it on lower levels than my 4500k.

The beam on a whitewall isn’t as pretty as the 4500k (good thing most of my walls aren’t white) but usability is much better. I do like warmer and higher CRI but we will wait for the HDS team to make their own leds...

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    I just got one in from a trade. Its not just the hotspot that makes the difference, it also has more lumens in the spill portion.
    That's really good feedback. I've been considering a 325 of one type or another, but I'm struggling with the emitter choice. The one weakness of the high CRI lights with the current reflector is lack of sufficient spill at lower output levels.

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    I like it, and have been carrying this instead of my 4500k...
    If that 4500K needs a proper, loving home, please let me know. I adopt stray high CRI HDS EDC flashlights.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Oi!, can't you see that there's a queue?
    P
    I'm looking for an MD4 tube. Please PM if you have a spare. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ithout-Tailcap

If it weren’t for top gear I wouldn’t of know what a “queue“ was. 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Oi!, can't you see that there's a queue?
    P
    Didn't mean to step on your toes, mate.

Lol! Sorry to disappoint. I’m not getting rid of the 4500k too fast.

Nice to have people fighting over you, though.
    P

Just for the record, I’m carrying both lights today. I wouldn’t want one to be left out.

I reviewed this thread and pulled out and examined the two sets of pictures provided by DinoCakes and the two sets of pictures provided by Policescannerman. Thank you for those.

What I concluded, my opinion only, is that there are two distinct advantages of the XPG3 over a high CRI emitter like the 170N and the High Noon 5700.

1. the XPG3 has a more focused beam and throws light a little farther
    2. the XPG3 has a beam that makes objects outside look sharper in detail such as the leaves, branches, blades of grass. I thought this was a fluke of focus but after reviewing all four sets of photos my observation was true in each example.

(Trying to decide which emitter to put in my Titanium Executive upgrade between the High Noon and XPG3. This is a very hard decision. I have given myself until 8pm tonight).

To add to that, I see the xpg3 has something like 3 different zones? of lighting. There is the hotspot, another ring of light around the hotspot and then the spill. I guess this would be similar to a TIR optic. The result is a more filled spill which I prefer.

On the other hand, the high noon does have a nicer beam and more CRI for better colors.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    (Trying to decide which emitter to put in my Titanium Executive upgrade between the High Noon and XPG3. This is a very hard decision. I have given myself until 8pm tonight).
    If I may make a suggestion...

The titanium executive is a true grail flashlight. If it were mine, I'd hesitate to install any emitter that I had not used in person. If you're already invested in this HDS restoration project, I might suggest slowing things down and buying and aluminium executive with the XPG3. You can always resell the light in the market place for a marginal loss, if you like. At least then, you will be fully informed.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you decide, you've got a piece of flashlight art. I'm looking forward to your opinions and smattering of photos.

Cheers

We are of different minds but if I did change emitters I’d go XPG3. More throw. More spill. You have others to give you that special tint.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    If I may make a suggestion...

The titanium executive is a true grail flashlight. If it were mine, I'd hesitate to install any emitter that I had not used in person. If you're already invested in this HDS restoration project, I might suggest slowing things down and buying and aluminium executive with the XPG3. You can always resell the light in the market place for a marginal loss, if you like. At least then, you will be fully informed.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you decide, you've got a piece of flashlight art. I'm looking forward to your opinions and smattering of photos.

Cheers
    I think my friend with the furry ears speaks a lot of sense.
    P

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast