Wuben        
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast

Thread: HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Default Re: HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    A compare of this two types would be interesting.

I only have a 219A 4000K, 219B R9080 4000K and also 219C NC40.

Would be interesting to know the difference between the both 219B 4000K LEDs.

I am not a person liking 4000K LEDs but the 219B 9080 is great. I still can not decide if it is better tan NB45 9080 or not.
    I there is the opportunity to get an additional NB40 9080 light I will definately get another one...
    They are pretty similar but the R9080 has more red/pink but not as drastic as the sw45. 4000k R9050 is a shade warmer than the 4000k R9080. on low setting the r9080 appears much whiter but on higher levels the difference is minimal

I used to have the NC40...can't remember whom it went to I loved the NC runs but I just like 219b better. If there was ever a 219b 5000k or even 5700k; I'd be on it and it would most likely be enough to part with my 3 o'clock. There is just something about the "b" that my eye like more.

I can tell you I prefer the NB40 over the 45 but both have their purposes. 219b R9050 is still my ultimate favorite with NB40 being a very close second.

There is a reason why I don't do beamshots. This is somewhat accurate but it's brighter than reality. both lights st 5 clicks up from min. WB set to 4500k, aperturef/1.7, exposure time 1/10, iso 400 (best quick settings to get it as close to reality as possible)
    Last edited by INFRNL; 07-30-2019 at 11:55 PM.

I have just ordered my first HDS after reading this thread back and forth :-). Well not really the first, I had a Ra85 (?) Twisty a very long time ago but I sold it. I picked the XP-G3 NLT Rotary - since I will use it outdoors primarily and I don't care if the beam isn't perfect. Of course there are some limits - I still remember the SF Minimus Saint headlamp with horrible artifacts in the peripheral field, that was way beyond the limit I would accept :-). There is a German (they also have UK/IT/FR websites) store which has them in stock, along with XP-L version. A High CRI version would be nice, but I think this will be fine for outdoor use and I prefer neutral or "pure" white to warm LEDs.
    I think I still have the rare flip-up Surefire FM54 diffuser somewhere, I wonder if that will fit the HDS and how it it look (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Diameter.html).
    I can't wait to receive it!
    Last edited by Daniel_sk; 08-30-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_sk View Post
    I have just ordered my first HDS
    Welcome to tribe!
    Let us know what you think about it when you receive it.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    HDS Systems Henry's Mini-Me
    I play with dead things

I have just ordered my first HDS after reading this thread back and forth :-)
    Congratulations on the purchase! It is a very special flashlight. I don't have that emitter, but it's the build quality that makes me a repeat HDS customer.
    May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

@Daniel_sk
    The 325 NLT Rotary is the most useful light I own. The user interface makes it perfect indoors. The smooth reflector and emitter give it the punch to work great outdoors. You'll love it, IMO.
    Last edited by jarobi; 08-30-2019 at 09:08 PM.

I just received my first HDS yesterday and I chose the 325 NLT. I ordered the Executive. I really like it. I think it is a good size, good power, good UI, etc. There is really nothing I don't like. i'd guess I could carry on about how good it is, but everyone here already knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicaeopolis View Post
    ...i'd guess I could carry on about how good it is, but everyone here already knows.
    Go ahead. Gush a little. It's all good.

Default HDS 325 Lumen longer throw offering...

Quote Originally Posted by Dicaeopolis View Post
    I just received my first HDS yesterday and I chose the 325 NLT. I ordered the Executive. I really like it. I think it is a good size, good power, good UI, etc. There is really nothing I don't like. i'd guess I could carry on about how good it is, but everyone here already knows.
    Dont ever buy a rotary then cause you ll get the addiction the rest of us have. And there is no cure for it!
    Dont Tread On Me

I think one day I may try a Rotary or Tactical Rotary. I was surprised to find out the HDS is not too big. I read some people say it is large. My only other single CR123 lights are the Malkoff MDC and Elzetta Alpha, which apparently aren't small either because they are all 3 close in size, with the HDS Executive being slightly shorter. I have the high/low tailcap on the Elzetta which makes it slightly longer than the rotary tailcap. Anyway, I think the HDS feels great in hand, has plenty of power, and looks great too.

Dicaeopolis
    If you like the Clicky now youll love the rotary or tactical rotary
    Dont Tread On Me

Had my HDS XPG3 325 lumen Neutral Long Throw (NLT) flash light out on the golf course pre-dawn all week walking my dog. The light is fantastic and really lights up the course. If I spot eyes looking at me more than 100 yards away I have to break out my Thrunite Catapult long throw light to identify what type of animal it is - deer, fox, black bear, skunk, etc. With the XPG3 at 100 yards, with little to no moonlight from the sky, I can only see the creatures eyes and not make out the type of creature.

Was wondering if a very small footprint LED like the old Oshram Golden Dragon in a HDS light would throw further? I screen shot of that led in a HDS light can be found at 1:41 in the video below.

Last edited by RCS1300; 09-01-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Had my HDS XPG3 325 lumen Neutral Long Throw (NLT) flash light out on the golf course pre-dawn all week walking my dog. The light is fantastic and really lights up the course. If I spot eyes looking at me more than 100 yards away I have to break out my Thrunite Catapult long throw light to identify what type of animal it is - deer, fox, black bear, skunk, etc. With the XPG3 at 100 yards, with little to no moonlight from the sky, I can only see the creatures eyes and not make out the type of creature.

Was wondering if a very small footprint LED like the old Oshram Golden Dragon in a HDS light would throw further? I screen shot of that led in a HDS light can be found at 1:41 in the video below.
    I'm sure throw can be increased, but I doubt very much given the limited lumen output. I have a D25C modified by Vinh54 with an Osram White1 led and the throw is very impressive for a light that's smaller than an HDS, but it's also pushing ~700lm (IIRC) which an HDS isn't going to do.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

I ve walked the range of reach on the 250 and 325 and both are about the same. At that distance an HDS wont help you to identify small critters and I dont think its meant to... in saying that, its still enough useful light even at 140 yards plus to see whats going on or get a good assessment of your surroundings and not be left in the dark....
    Dont Tread On Me

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I'm sure throw can be increased, but I doubt very much given the limited lumen output. I have a D25C modified by Vinh54 with an Osram White1 led and the throw is very impressive for a light that's smaller than an HDS, but it's also pushing ~700lm (IIRC) which an HDS isn't going to do.
    The XPG3 currently lights up a very large area at 100 yards. It is fantastic. I can definitely see the eyes of a black bear at 100 yards with the XPG. Right now with the XPG3 I am differentiating the black bear from the deer based on the color of their eyes reflected back at me. Yellow and 3 feet off the ground for the bear and blue for the deer.

What I am thinking is that the extremely small foot print of an emitter like the old Golden Dragon, which is no longer available, may take full advantage of the HDS reflector to create a more pronounced beam of light, or hot spot.

I run my thrunite Catapult at 170 lumens and it throws a fantastic tight beam of bright light over 100 yards. I get over 5x the battery life on low level lumens versus high and the difference visually is not worth the cost of battery life so I always run the light on low at 170 lumens. I believe the focus of the beam has to do with the reflector and the size and position of the led. See the lights specs here:

Specifications:

• LED: CREE XLamp XM-L emitter
    • 2 Output Levels: High: 700+ ANSI lumens, Low: 170 ANSI lumens
    • Reverse polarity protection

• Operating voltage between 2.7V to 8.4V

Last edited by RCS1300; 09-01-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Clarity

I just looked up the specs on SkyLumen website for the D3C with Osram white flat 1. He claims 600lm and 35kcd. I don't know how many lumens a white1 could do at HDS drive levels but looking at output graphs 200lm seems reasonable (performs close to 219c 5000K at 1A). That would put it at ~12kcd behind the D3C reflector.

There's a lot of speculation here but I would guess that if you could put a white flat 1 in an HDS and it behaved well with the reflector that you could see somewhere in the 9-15kcd range.
    Last edited by Random Dan; 09-01-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I just looked up the specs on SkyLumen website for the D3C with Osram white flat 1. He claims 600lm and 35kcd. I don't know how many lumens a white1 could do at HDS drive levels but looking at output graphs 200lm seems reasonable (performs close to 219c 5000K at 1A). That would put it at ~12kcd behind the D3C reflector.

There's a lot of speculation here but I would guess that if you could put a white flat 1 in an HDS and it behaved well with the reflector that you could see somewhere in the 9-15kcd range.
    Is this the Oshram white flat:

Description:
    1*1mm die
    Domeless LED
    Forward Voltage: 2.75v-3.00v @1000mA
    Luminous Flux: 315lm-350lm @ 1000mA
    Rated max forward current: 3000mA
    Color temperature: 6000-6500K

https://intl-outdoor.com/osram-cslnm...led-p-933.html

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Is this the Oshram white flat
    Yeap...
    Or just White1 (W1)

My first HDS light has cleared customs so I should hopefully have it this week, its a tactical 325 with a flush button an the NLT led, I can't wait to try it out. First real proper flashlight..

I see that the size of the legs of this diode is slightly smaller than the standard 3535, need a separate board for use, but it really will win in range all that is now

Quote Originally Posted by desert.snake View Post
    I see that the size of the legs of this diode is slightly smaller than the standard 3535, need a separate board for use, but it really will win in range all that is now
    Yes, Osram Whites are 3030, not 3535 like XPL HI, 219B/C etc. It can be soldered to a standard 3535 MCPCBs but some skills are needed. But there are MCPCBs designed for this emitter in 16mm and 20mm size by led4power

Sent from Tapatalk

I have mentioned that DC-fix or a surefire diffuser cleans up the beam for indoor use.

A couple of nights ago, I was in a rural area that was minimally lit and I used my NLT without a diffuser. The extra punch is noticeable over my 4500k HDS and the beam on the NLT is perfect outside. I had other lights with higher lumens and more throw but this was my preferred light to use with an all around nicer combo of hotspot and spill that gave me more useful light.

The lesson is: Get out of the city!

Quote Originally Posted by Intothenightwego View Post
    My first HDS light has cleared customs so I should hopefully have it this week, its a tactical 325 with a flush button an the NLT led, I can't wait to try it out. First real proper flashlight..
    Great choice! We hope you'll post photos along with your impressions.

There are a few tutorials on the tube for programming plus Ive done one the other day
    You will love the light!
    Dont Tread On Me

I have just received my HDS NLT - I need to wait for the night to test :-). But first I want to ask if this is considered normal. The threads are gritty and have an uneven coat of anodizing on them. I think the grittiness is caused by the anodizing, but I can't quite tell - maybe it's also the aluminum threads. Should this anodizing be in better shape or is just a leftover from manufacturing and it doesn't have any impact on the functionality or thread wear resistance?

Last edited by Daniel_sk; 09-04-2019 at 08:36 AM.

It looks fine but if it feels gritty it needs lube. Did it come from HDS without lube on the threads?
    I play with dead things

Thanks, just wanted to hear that this is fine :-). It's difficult to tell if there was any lube, but probably only a very minimal amount or nothing. I have cleaned them now and I will add some NyoGel.
    Edit: Adding lube helped, it's not perfect but acceptable :-) - I don't really care since it's only opened for changing the battery.
    Last edited by Daniel_sk; 09-04-2019 at 08:52 AM.

It will smooth up over time/use. You can get rid of the extra anodizing using lye and a Q-Tip... being very very careful. I just let my personal ones wear in myself.
    I play with dead things

She came today, an to say I'm impressed is a understatement, best little torch I've ever owned by a country mile. Now I just have to wait for darkness, are take my dogs up the woods later, be pitch black nearly so will get to see it in all its glory. It's going to take a bit of learning to understand it all but it seems quite free flowing to start with.

The strobe really does blind for a good bit, an I accidentally did a max burst while playing about an after 15 mins there's still a yellow dot with a halo around it..

Are try figure out how to upload a photo of it later.

...take my dogs up the woods later, be pitch black nearly so will get to see it in all its glory...
    The day I got mine - months ago - I started using it exclusively to walk my dog pre-dawn and after sunset. It is an incredible beam of light - nice throw, spill, and easy on the eyes. Last week I was up on the top of a mountain with my dog and there was no moonlight. I was able to see very well 30 yards out with the light at about 150 lumens, or half its maximum lumens.

When you see the beam at night you will understand why it a unique high end light.

Unenlightened

Thanks, just wanted to hear that this is fine :-). It's difficult to tell if there was any lube, but probably only a very minimal amount or nothing. I have cleaned them now and I will add some NyoGel.
    Edit: Adding lube helped, it's not perfect but acceptable :-) - I don't really care since it's only opened for changing the battery.
    The thread and anodizing were way better on the one I bought in 2017 on the right of the photo below than the two bought in 2019 . Hope new 18659 tubes will be back in stock soon with better quality.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678910111213 LastLast