Coast Lights...Thoughts?

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

My local Streamlight/Surefire dealer recently started carrying Coast lights. In the usual "new product" fashion, they are really pushing these lights over other brands (Streamlight, ASP, and even Surefire). I looked up the Coast website, and they have some pretty cool models and claim to have a decent warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? Are they durable? What brand would you compare them to with regard to quality?

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Generally Coast lights are not regulated and have a triple a fuel source.

They are fine for household tasks and are durable. I like Coast lights and use them often. But when it absolutely positively has to work I don't grab a Coast first.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've never owned a coast light I've tried them in the stores but find their design and output doesn't warrant their cost.
The things I've noticed (as bykfixer has too) is too often they use 3AAA for power source
Also they use multiple emitters in lights to increase output
they also don't tell you anything about the LEDs in them at all making it so they could possibly change LED manufacturers when it suits them such that two lights of the same design could be different in output. I'm not sure this has happened however.
These two things to me sort of equate to trying to save a little on costs which are not passed on to the consumer as coast lights tend to cost much more than competing products.
I essentially decided that you are probably better off looking into competing products online for better emitters, light engines/modes, and pricing.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I try to find coast lights that are on sale or discontinued just for their modifability. Good teaching lights and run of common cells but stock, edc light.... Nah, not worth the cost.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast is just another cheap Chinese department store brand imo. They are better then some but, no where near the lights that Streamlight and especially Surefire are. They work fine for around the house I suppose but, I would likely go with Maglite over them if I was going to stick to department store brands personally. And, I would never trust them for any mission critical task.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contrary to most of the above posts, I've been carrying a coast HX5 1AA light with adjustable focus for well over a year and use it everyday and think it's a great light. $20 online and in stores.

Their Pure Beam focusing optics are excellent.

I greatly like the adjustable focus headlamps, as well.

I'm strongly considering the HX5R rechargeable version of the HX5 that I now carry.

I've also had a 1AAA Coast light and a 2AAA Coast light that I didn't care for because of the bluish light.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast is just another cheap Chinese department store brand imo. They are better then some but, no where near the lights that Streamlight and especially Surefire are. They work fine for around the house I suppose but, I would likely go with Maglite over them if I was going to stick to department store brands personally. And, I would never trust them for any mission critical task.

I much prefer the Pure Beam focusing optics of the Coast lights over the Maglight optics - much, much, much better flood mode.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the Pure Beam focusing optics of the Coast lights over the Maglight optics - much, much, much better flood mode.

Yeah, I don't know much about how the beam patterns compare(neither has been my cup of tea for many years). I just trust the Maglite name more(although they both have good warranties) and Maglite holds a special place in my heart as the first Solitare incan was my EDC decades ago.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solitaire LED is a fine little light - much nicer tint than the 1AAA Coast light that I tried about 5 years ago.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
I have had a solitaire and the quality anymore just isn't there just doesn't use well. maglight in general I just don't think is legitimate. they are holding on buy a thread because a while ago coast and Walmart and everyone made far stronger lights than maglite that were also cheaper.

but enough of that, so I started out with Coast and I still use my coast lights sometimes today as my emergency and chore lights. Nothing they do is unbeatable but they work and have a great survise experience . I got free lights from them when my light didn't come with all its settings and still got a replacement too.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a solitaire and the quality anymore just isn't there just doesn't use well. maglight in general I just don't think is legitimate. they are holding on buy a thread because a while ago coast and Walmart and everyone made far stronger lights than maglite that were also cheaper.

but enough of that, so I started out with Coast and I still use my coast lights sometimes today as my emergency and chore lights. Nothing they do is unbeatable but they work and have a great survise experience . I got free lights from them when my light didn't come with all its settings and still got a replacement too.

Does Coast have a 1AAA light that you prefer over the current model Mag Solitaire LED? If yes, tell me which one. My Coast 1AAA light from a few years ago was a very weak and blue output.

What do you mean by stronger? More intense output? Physically stronger? Able to handle abuse better?

fyrstormer

Banned
I much prefer the Coast A5 Stainless vs. any Maglite nowadays.

Hwz2yrH.jpg

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I much prefer the Coast A5 Stainless vs. any Maglite nowadays.

Hi, what do you prefer about it over the Mag Solitaire?

Just curious, since I don't carry Stainless lights or any other relatively heavy metal lights - just aluminum for me.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone!

My local Streamlight/Surefire dealer recently started carrying Coast lights. In the usual "new product" fashion, they are really pushing these lights over other brands (Streamlight, ASP, and even Surefire). I looked up the Coast website, and they have some pretty cool models and claim to have a decent warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with these lights? Are they durable? What brand would you compare them to with regard to quality?

Thanks!

They make some good stuff and some junk. Not the same level and surefire or even streamlight... frankly they are overpriced for what they offer.

Nephron44

Enlightened
To me the Solitaire wins because it's built in an American factory.

So, hypothetically, if an overseas company made a better product at the same or better price, you would choose to carry an inferior and less reliable product just because it was made in the United States?

fyrstormer

Banned
To me the Solitaire wins because it's built in an American factory.
If I worked in an American factory, I would be upset if I were tasked with making products that are more expensive and and less-well-built than their foreign counterparts. Fortunately I work in an American office instead, where I have far greater personal control over the quality of the products I make, so I can make sure they live up to my personal standards even if my boss doesn't always see the value in it.

Hi, what do you prefer about it over the Mag Solitaire? Just curious, since I don't carry Stainless lights or any other relatively heavy metal lights - just aluminum for me.
It's better built, it has a better switch, and it produces a perfectly even beam (Coast calls it an "inspection beam") which is great for up-close work, which is all this type of light is really good for anyway. It's also nice that there's no finish to scrape off.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyrstormer It's better built said:
Thanks for explaining. I haven't warmed to the Coast inspection beams. I very much like their Pur Focus beam.

How is the beam tint on your stainless 1AAA Coast? The 1AAA Coasts that I've tried have been very blue. I don't tolerate blue tint very well. My Coast HX5 1AA tint is a pretty nice neutral.

My Mag Solitaire has a very lovely white light and nice beam.