ARC AA/AAA vs. Infinity Ultra

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but which is brighter -- the ARC AA/AAA series, or the CMG Infinity Ultra?

Thanks!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hi bonvivantmike, and welcome to CPF!

I don't know how to copy these links with the thread name, maybe someone can teach me how, but these four threads are relevant to your question:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=344994

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=396007

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3&Number=391173

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=489721

And there are others, use the search page, and use "+" before words to require them in the results. In a tiny picture, both Arcs and Ultra's are great: the Arc-AA is the only one to stand on its tail; the Ultra-G is cheapest; the Arc-AAA is smallest; the Ultra and Arc AA last longer on a single battery; the Ultra has a better flood, less hotspot and throw.

Personally, I keep an Arc AAA on my keychain because it's a great size, and an Ultra around the house/car/outside because it has wider coverage and I'll be less pained if I lose it, at $14.50 a pop (compared to $25-$35 for the Arcs).

daloosh

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little off tangent here...

Daloosh,
You can use the 'reply' button instead of the convenient box on the bottom of page, then when you click on 'URL' on the bottom of the text box, it'll prompt you for the URL of the link you want to create. Copy and paste the url here, then click ok, and it'll prompt you again for the word you want to use to substitute the whole URL. Try it out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back on track, Mike, in a nutshell, ALL are almost similar in output, both Arcs have a brighter spot while the Ultra G has a wider flood. Otherwise the AAs are rated to have about 10 hours of runtime, while the Arc AAA is rated at approx 5 hours. Hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the output is similar, but the quality of the arcs blows the cmg's out of the ocean!

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Arc AAA and Ultra AA. The Arc AAAs, beamwise, is in no way superior to the Ultra AAs that I have. Quality wise the Ultra is the most reliable small light I know of, and that is part of quality. It is not as nicely made, but more reliable.

For pocket carry I prefer the Arc, but if I have room I prefer the Ultra. I have had problems with the Arc AAA, and the AAA problems have been posted on the Arc forum, but not one second's problem with the Ultra.

The Arc AAA are very nice lights, but they are overrated when compared the Ultra, IMO.
You would not be disappointed in either the Ard or the Ultra.

Jerry

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. It seems there may not be much to choose between them quality-wise, although size is in favor of the Arc, and price in favor of the CMG (and a little brightness, as well as availability).

I didn't mention that this is for keychain carry. I currently have a CMG in red on my keychain, and love it (back before the Ultra I chose the red because it was brighter). But now that I'm becoming an EMT, I need something white in case that's the only light I happen to have. But I wouldn't mind something smaller, since my keychain is fairly bulky with my alarm remote, a number of keys, my CPR mask and a light.

Rothrandir has it right. "Buy this AND that...."

I think I can eliminate the ARC AA, since it's almost the same in form factor and function to the Infinity Ultra. That leaves the Arc AAA.

To summarize:

CMG Infinity Ultra:

Pro
Less Expensive
Readily Available
Longer runtime
AA battery (more available in an emergency)

Con
Larger
Green finish (I prefer black)

Arc AAA

Pro
Smaller
Black finish
Higher quality (or at least the perception thereof

Con
More expensive
Lead time before receipt
Shorter runtime
Batteries may be less available in an emergency

Opinions, anyone?

Thanks!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bonvivantmike said:
Rothrandir has it right. "Buy this AND that...."
<snip>
Opinions, anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy the Ultra-G at the cpf special price of $14.50

Yes, it is still green but a hard anodized (Type III) dark green - so dark it almost looks black - my 2 samples bought several months apart are both noticably darker than the one in the photo in the link above.

ArcAAA_UltraG_S2.jpg

This way you'll already have a good LED flashlight - so you can wait on the ArcAAA - and form you own opinions on which is "better"..........

Oh have you considered a Photon 2, Inova Microlight or even the 20 for $20 from CountyComm - for the keyring and carrying the other flashlight in the other pocket?

Sizes:
sizes_S.jpg

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I EDC both. The Ultra on a lanyard (included) around my neck. The AAA and LS in my pocket. I am hard on my lights. I have had CMG replace my Ultra once and I may have to have Arc look at my AAA LE. I want to go through the trouble shooting guide first, as I don't want to loose my LE for a Premium.
I use my Ultra for 10-30 minutes a day, my LS for 5-20/day and my AAA for 20-30/week. I'd recomend the Ultra/LS combo for most people, but I am a large person not overly concerned about bulging pockets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .
YMMV--
I'd say the bigest (NPI) difference between the Arc AAA and the Ultra is size. The batteries rarely need changing and neither will leave you in the dark. So if you can carry the Infinity comfortably go with the Ultra. If you'd like something smaller go with the Arc. But neither will fill all your needs. An Arc4 might, I don't know as of yet as I don't have one.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I really only want to carry on flashlight as an EDC carry light. I have a number of other LED lights (2 4DMagLites with drop-in LEDs, SL 3AA Luxeon, couple of LED headlamps, Impact, etc) if I need more light.

I thought about a button-cell lamp, but I'm serious about trying to standardize on D and AA batteries. I volunteer with a city-run disaster response team, and live in earthquake country, so feeding the light under adverse conditions is a consideration. I remember after the 1994 Northridge earthquake that the convenience stores only had AA batteries available. They were either sold out or didn't carry anything else. My call-out bag includes a supply of D and AA, and I don't want to have to stock anything else.

The $14.50 price for the CPF special is VERY tempting.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bonvivantmike said:
My call-out bag includes a supply of D and AA, and I don't want to have to stock anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy the 20 for $20 LED lights from CountyComm.........

Yes, they do use replaceable 2x 2016 coin-cells - but at $1 a piece they are almost disposable - that one almost need not stock spare batteries. Buying a bag of 20 (minimum order) means you'll have an abundance of lights to place in various strategic places - and even have enough for gifts and handouts.......

The 2x 2016 batteries are replaceable - but often at regular shop prices a single 2016 might be the price of 4 of these lights - check out this thread where 2016 and 2032 batteries can be very reasonably priced -
20 for $20 LED Lights

paulr

Flashaholic
During the east coast blackout, AA and D batteries got snapped up from stores pretty fast, but C's and AAA's were plentiful. Standardization has its drawbacks as well as its virtues /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Cool Stanley,

Thanks very much for the tips! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

daloosh

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr,
That's how it was when I was in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. The PX/BX would sell out of AA batteries, but AAA's would be there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true observation about AA VS AAA batteries. Generally speaking, there are AAA, AA, C and D cells in stock at stores under normal circumstances. In an emergency, or at military stores when people are swinging through on the way "south", AA and D cells vanish.
Went to three different bases looking for 3, 4, 5 or 6 D Mags and they were out. No D cells or AA cells as a group came through and they sold out. Must of been enough C cells to power a small city though! AAA cells were available as usual.
Oddly enough, the Mags were all gone (except the 2C and 2D mags) There were plenty of Surefires available...with lithium batteries. The cashier warned me that the lithium batteries were banned on military planes that that explained that. It was true, they sifted through my AAA, AA and D cells looking for lithiums.

Having Arc AAA and AA lights available at the BX/PX would make a lot of people's lives a lot easier. Throw a red LED AAA and white LED AAA on a lanyard and 90% of lighting needs are provided. I know a guy that is married to a big wig in AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) I should show him the little Arcs to see if he can talk to her.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
The cashier warned me that the lithium batteries were banned on military planes that that explained that. It was true, they sifted through my AAA, AA and D cells looking for lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you (or anyone) know why lithium batteries are banned on military planes, please?

Thanks

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
This is great information on battery availability. I think it may make sense to have a good AAA, as a hedge against that being the only battery type available if things really go south. Besides, the Arc AAA takes up less keychain real estate....

Next question: Is it worth the extra money to order the Premium Edition?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
The cashier warned me that the lithium batteries were banned on military planes that that explained that. It was true, they sifted through my AAA, AA and D cells looking for lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you (or anyone) know why lithium batteries are banned on military planes, please?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Vincent, try searching in the Batteries forum, I can't remember exactly why, but it has to do with the possiblity of Lithiums exploding or catching fire.

haley1

Enlightened
BentHeadTX, that would be cool if you could talk the bigwig into the PX/BX's carrying the ARC's. They use to carry Infinity's, that's where I bought my first one. Um', I think so anyway. They carry Inova, SF and of course all MagL. However I think the ARC's would would be infinitely more usefull, most of the time. I also don't know why they would restrict lithium batt's as most of our radio batt's are either rechargeable lithium and disposible lithiums. It seems kind of silly. Especially considering almost everyone that goes overseas has a cell phone in the hope that it can be used, and most, if not all have lithium batt's. But then I guess Gov reg's never had to make sense! Hmmm.