The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff Devices - I am a Convert...

Flashaholic

Default Malkoff Devices - I am a Convert...

I always wondered why a certain vocal “sect” in these Forums went on and on about ‘Malkoff’ this and ‘Malkoff’ that. Malkoff junkies were everywhere, popping up and frothing drool about “drop-ins” and “drop-outs”, “Hound Dogs” and M61’s and such.

Well, things have changed. My mind has changed. In the last 3 weeks, I was lucky enough to cash in some gift cards and loose sofa change and acquire some Malkoff - an MD4 body and two heads, a Wildcat V6 90CRI and a Hound Dog neutral XL-M. Ironically, I use the floody Wildcat for dog walking and the long throw Hound Dog for Wildcat spotting…. Now I know that what the Forum cult leaders have been saying is true - this maker and these heads are in a class by themselves and make the rest of the flashlight universe look small and mean and petty.

Malkoff Devices know exactly what they are doing. The Wildcat HI CRI head is beyond expectations as the quality of the light is perfect and the floody beam spread and intensity is balanced so well you just don’t want to come in out of a cold dark night. The dog makes me go back inside. This head alone makes my other lights (except perhaps for the Alpha Ready-Made) pale in comparison as to quality and function. The Hound Dog head is so throwy, punchy, powerful, clean and color corrected that it has become the best thing I own for distance. Serious distance. I can carry the extra head and use the same MD4 body for either, so there’s that. Hi or low with a slight turn of the head - simple. On or off or momentary. No flash, no strobe, no beacon, no useless modes. On, off, HI, LO. Perfect beams and color. Waterproof to what, about 10’+? Solid as a bar of steel.

I am converted.

Default Re: Malkoff Devices - I am a Convert...

Welcome to the sect. Now we can show you the secret handshake.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Welcome. I have invested heavily in Malkoff gear these last five months or so and honestly don't understand how I was never aware of them. Super nice folks to deal with who make a tremendous line of flashlights, accessories, and drop-ins.

I predict another MD4 tube in your future, Mr Weiss.
    P

Flashaholic

Thank you for the Cult welcome.
    Please send a PDF of the secret handshake? I want to practice it. Is it something I can do in public - or, better done behind a door?
    And yes you are right, another MD4 and an MD2 body as well. I want to run these heads on 18350's, too. Oh, and a Tricap and a crenelated bezel and a..........
    Malkoff makes me think I am a 'modder'...

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    Thank you for the Cult welcome.
    Please send a PDF of the secret handshake? I want to practice it. Is it something I can do in public - or, better done behind a door?
    And yes you are right, another MD4 and an MD2 body as well. I want to run these heads on 18350's, too. Oh, and a Tricap and a crenelated bezel and a..........
    Malkoff makes me think I am a 'modder'...
    Our job here is done. Another has been brought to the light side.

Malkoff is a lifestyle.

If I have one complaint about Malkoff products it is this. They are to pretty. To good looking. To nice. I like to use my lights and it kills me sometimes to take them out into the wild or work.i though I had solved this dilemma by taking the light I want to use and letting my 3 year old play with it for a bit to break it in.Ya didn’t work. Not only was it still brand new at end of the day without a mark on it but! I had to wait for her to pass out to get my MD2 away from her sticky little hands 😄
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

You may want to offer your daughter's QC service to members. I know what you mean. Some of the nicest and smoothest anodizing I have seen.

Flashaholic

Seriously, I must have come into the 'light' - I have now little to no interest in the Chinese stuff I have. Seems I no longer crave any new Lumen tube that comes out and regard my Malkoff and Prometheus stuff as the only true light. Both may in USA, too.

Gene Malkoff out did the Maglite when he entered the flashlight world.

Instead of a cookie cutter factory that spits out a whole bunch of lights each day his are made one at a time.

Perhaps the best part is in addition to the turn key option one can have one made to order without undue delay.

I cite Maglite instead of SureFire because Maglite began as a light for police and fireman and so did the Malkoff. SureFire was aimed at military applications from the outset.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Perhaps the best part is ...one can have one made to order without undue delay....

As much as I love another certain USA based manufacturer, this cannot be said of them. Gene Malkoff, despite leading a company not much larger than the other said manufacturer, has figured out how to keep things in stock. Malkoff also does not punish customers with a steep price penalty for buying spare and/or modular parts. It's a little bit cheaper to buy a complete light from Malkoff than to purchase parts individually, but it's within reason. Gene also offers coupons and promotional discounts from time to time.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post

As much as I love another certain USA based manufacturer, this cannot be said of them. Gene Malkoff, despite leading a company not much larger than the other said manufacturer, has figured out how to keep things in stock. Malkoff also does not punish customers with a steep price penalty for buying spare and/or modular parts. It's a little bit cheaper to buy a complete light from Malkoff than to purchase parts individually, but it's within reason. Gene also offers coupons and promotional discounts from time to time.

Ouch... Don't mess with the 'Sect'...

I been a Malkoff convert for over three years now. Proud owner of a MD2 I keep in my flightbag and a M61LL in a 6P host. Don’t hold your breath on that hand shake tho, I’m still waiting.

Flashaholic

From the likes of the characters in this Malkoff ‘Sect’, I agree with you - not holding my breath there...

I’ve developed my own ‘secret handshake’, which is a modification of one I created when I was thirteen...

The secret handshake looks a lot like the PayPal 'send money' button ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The secret handshake looks a lot like the PayPal 'send money' button ...
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
    Ouch... Don't mess with the 'Sect'...
    Our cult will see your cult in the alley at dusk to settle this like men, by flashing each other!

Err, wait, that doesn’t sound right...

Yup, MDC's at 10 paces
    (Good bad and ugly theme music in background)
    Thew-ee-ew-ye-ewwww, wah wah wah...
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

And that - right there - is what's frightening about 'The Cult of M'....

Welcome to the sect. Now we can show you the secret handshake.
    I have a hound dog super in the mail thanks to you guys. It’s going to be my first experience with li-ion batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    I have a hound dog super in the mail thanks to you guys. It’s going to be my first experience with li-ion batteries.
    Great choice! Which beam tint did you get?

Yup i think it was last year I caved and picked up a Malkoff dropin for my rifle light... Just yesterday I picked up their m@g drop-in for a garage sale 3D cell.

Furthermore, I think the mailman delivered it to my mom’s address today but I’m sick as a dog and can’t visit her. Bummer.

I think Malkoff products are great but I confess to not being a 'junkie'. M61LL conversion for a G3, MD2 with bezel switch, and MDC HA 1AA all uniquely filled a niche for me.

Buying Malkoff products like a stamp collector isn't my thing. Not yet anyway...

Flashaholic

24 posts up, as the OP, I was not a cult/junky follower.

That has changed as I can now speak with authority that the Wildcat HI CRI head is the best awareness / dog walker out there. The tint is perfect to my eyes and the throw is surprisingly good for a very wide flooder. Now, as a neo-cult acolyte, I wish to the CPF Gods that Malkoff will make a single 18650 form of this head so that an MD2 body and this head could be together where they belong....

Stick it on an MD2 with 2x 18350 1100mah cells.
    The current draw at 7.4v is 2000ma. so you'll get about 1 hour's runtime.
    If you have trouble with the cell length I can explain how to use an aluminium ring to give you a couple more mm.
    Personally I like the small head on a long body thing for the form and the runtime, but my drop in uses 4.5 amps.

P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 01-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Flashaholic

Thanks, Peter..... your suggestion is the first thing I'll try - I was told that the extender kit would work...

Yes, the Extender Kit is a more elegant fix than my one...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Malkoff-Lights

P

Neutral tint. The batteries are charging and it’s three hours to dark!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast