Question on Surefire EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T

Nephron44

Enlightened
Hey everyone!

I have a Surefire EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T, and I really love these lights...so much so that I plan on using them for a very long time and hopefully can pass down to my kids to play with (as a toy because let's face it, there will be many advancements between now and then).

Anyway, I forget where, but I read that with the twisty tail caps, due to the aluminum being soft, constantly twisting on and off will wear down the threads and the cap will eventually no longer grab properly and be very loose.

For those of you with experience with these types of tail caps, how much should I worry about this?

Thanks!

Nimitz68

Enlightened
The only time you will be twisting the cap is if you need to select constant low or constant high. Batteries are changed by removing the head. As long as you keep the threads lubricated I don't believe there's a real cause for concern. Both are great lights and should serve you and yours well for many years. Enjoy!

Nephron44

Enlightened
The only time you will be twisting the cap is if you need to select constant low or constant high. Batteries are changed by removing the head. As long as you keep the threads lubricated I don't believe there's a real cause for concern. Both are great lights and should serve you and yours well for many years. Enjoy!

I use constant on very frequently :/ how do I keep the threads lubricated?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory, you can wear them out. Keep in mind, though, that there are classic Surefire 6Ps from the 1990's that are still in service today. Your threads would have to be tragically abused to wear out any time soon. Just keep them clean and lubricated and all will be well.

I have a tendency to clean and lubricate non-anodized threads quite often, but that's just a hobbyist thing. It's rarely necessary.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses! I emailed Surefire directly this afternoon with this question as well as some questions about the Tactician. I'll be sure to report back with the response I get!